PDA

View Full Version : New Bench PR can someone explain how?

K Y L E
01-19-2011, 12:48 PM
I went to the gym last week and benched the most I have in almost a year.. 185 pounds for one rep. My mom passed away last week so I haven't been to the gym. I went last night and got my new max at 2 reps of 225 then my 1RM of 230. I haven't gained or lost any weight. I started doing leg workouts at home in the week I took off. I don't understand how my max bench can go up 45 pounds in a week without working out and with an unhealthy diet where I haven't eaten much.

KoSh
01-19-2011, 01:05 PM
How's your form? Do you go full range of motion?

It's not very likely you're benching 230 and only squatting 185 and dead lifting 195.

Off Road
01-19-2011, 01:51 PM
You rested...

K Y L E
01-19-2011, 02:24 PM
shoulders fully tensed back on the bench, a spotter on each side, they help me get it off the bar. I lower the weight and hold it at the bottom for 2 seconds then explode up to the barbell rack. I generally don't work out my legs, because I have the knees and back of an 85 year old with the balance of a two year old, but I'm trying to strengthen my legs lately.

JK1
01-19-2011, 05:10 PM
shoulders fully tensed back on the bench, a spotter on each side, they help me get it off the bar. I lower the weight and hold it at the bottom for 2 seconds then explode up to the barbell rack. I generally don't work out my legs, because I have the knees and back of an 85 year old with the balance of a two year old,. but I'm trying to strengthen my legs lately

That right there alone says you need to be working legs and back and you need to be working them correctly and with intensity.

LanceGoyke
01-20-2011, 11:55 PM
You rested...

He's right. Fatigue masks fitness. Emotions can spark hormones which can make you stronger as well.

Sorry to hear about your mother.

mikesbench
01-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Definitely could have to do with rest, also with someone close passing away you might have had a litle rage working for you. How old are you, and how long have you been training? Big jumps that seem to be from out of nowhere aren't all that strange if you're younger / new to training. A lot of it has to do with nervous system adaptation / learning how to lft correctly.