PDA

View Full Version : Bench help (video)

kingns
01-20-2011, 09:44 PM
I filmed my max effort workout today. I posted a squat video on here and got a lot of good critique. Heres a video of today, anyone criticism would be GREATLY appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8_CTjiiY_s&feature=feedu

This is my first week back in the shirt since my last meet in september. These weights tied my previous best but didn't feel as comfortable as I would have liked. Instead of putting the shirt on at 315 and touching that, I worked up heavier raw and only tried touching at my top set weight. The workout had the following weights and 425 was my previous opener for reference.
385( shirt) 3 board
405 2 board
425 1 board
425 chest 2 sets
Any critiques of form or how I worked up, or board usage, whatever. I have a meet April 9th and plan to do most of my max effort work raw and simply get stronger, rather than using my shirt all the time.
THanks in advance for the help everyone.

Brian Hopper
01-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Where do you grip the bar? That grip looked pretty close. Im sure some of the big benchers like Rob, Vin and Travis can throw some good advice out. But, from what I saw, it looks like you need to arch more and widen your grip.

dedsqtbnch
01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
i dont think you look tight enuff pluss the arch that helps to get tighter but im no pro so i could be wrong plus i dont train with a shirt

kingns
01-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. I grip it with my index finder on the ring, but the bars are narrow at my schools gym. I dont know how wide the ring on a regulation bar is, so I just go index on the ring with the shirt, and pinkey when going raw. But both of those are probly an inch or two closer than a legit bar. I also wanna increase my arch but I find its harder to arch with my feet flat and out in front. Which I've been trying to do so I can lift anywhere and not worry about rules.

keep the advice coming!!!!

AdamBAG
01-21-2011, 07:55 AM
You need to arch more. You look pretty lean, so without a belly you definitely need more arch (who doesn't right?).

I don't see any reason to work down the boards in that shirt. Looks like you touch pretty easily. I'd just go straight to the sets off your chest if you can touch and then do boards at the end to overload/work the lockout.

If you keep your head down that will lock the shirt up more and make it harder to touch, which will let you press heavier weights in the shirt.

Most importantly, always have side spots when you bench in a shirt. You had them on some sets and not on others. Another option would be to bench in a power rack with the pins set to protect your face/neck.

mikesbench
01-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I'll 2nd what Adam said about hitting boards for lockout after the touching sets. You definitely have a sticking point where you transition to lockout. What fed are you planning to compete in? I can understand if you go USAPL you need flat feet and have to touch above the abs, but if not more arch, leg tuck, and touching lower will all help.

kingns
01-21-2011, 01:01 PM
I am going to compete in the SPF in April. My last meet was UPA and the one before that was USPF. I'd like to do more USPF meets since I'm single ply right now and its just easier to not have to change my style of benching if I wanted to go somewhere else. But as of now I'm pretty much competing where the meets are, there aren't many options in Washington.

I agree with all of the comments. Thanks for the help

AdamBAG
01-21-2011, 01:41 PM
I am going to compete in the SPF in April. My last meet was UPA and the one before that was USPF. I'd like to do more USPF meets since I'm single ply right now and its just easier to not have to change my style of benching if I wanted to go somewhere else. But as of now I'm pretty much competing where the meets are, there aren't many options in Washington.

I agree with all of the comments. Thanks for the help

I'm pretty sure that SPF always has a single-ply division, or at least all the ones I've attended on the state level do.