PDA

View Full Version : Cravings and deficiencies...

cutter
01-21-2011, 06:54 AM
I am addicted to Crystal Light Wild Strawberry drink mix, milk, and peanut butter.
Oh, peanut butter. It's like heroin to me. And milk, if milk had alcohol in it I would probly need rehab.
But anyway, I read a piece in Woman's Health Magazine about cravings are our bodies way of telling us we are deficient in nutrients.
Do you think there is any merit to this.

umm... I meant Alligator Wrestling Monthly, not Woman's Health.
I think I have a fair diet. I take in between 1,800 and 3,500 calories depending on what my plans are for the day. Currently I am not taking any suppliments, but I know I am low on protein. Can't decide what to buy for that.

Off Road
01-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Haha...nice reading material.

I don't believe in the cravings are deficiencies theory.

Behemoth
01-21-2011, 10:59 AM
It's true for salt. As far as other electrolytes, vitamins and minerals I don't know. I would speculate to a certain degree it is quite true.

Mercuryblade
01-21-2011, 11:24 AM
For some things yes, but for the foods you mention it's probably a learned behavior.

A smoker isn't "deficient" in cigarettes, just like an alcoholic isn't "deficient" in alcohol.

tom183
01-22-2011, 04:08 AM
I've always thought that it was true but to be honest it's just something a science teacher told me back in school that I've never thought to question.

Kiff
01-22-2011, 06:43 AM
umm... I meant Alligator Wrestling Monthly, not Woman's Health.

hahahahahahhahahahaha this is one of the funniest things i have seen on here for a long time lol.

Sean S
01-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Yes and no. In some cases I do believe it signals a deficiency in other cases it doesn't. Here are a couple examples I've experienced. Recent I had a terrible gastroenteritis that required a trip to a the ER and a couple liters of IV fluid. Even after that I had a huge craving for fluids and salt, particularly something like Pedialyte (which I went and got). In that case that was a true physiologic craving. On the other hand, if I'm in a calorie deficit for a while and haven't had any sweets or desserts I will get a craving for something. I'm pretty certain I don't have a true physiologic need for cake or ice cream.

bradley
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Currently I am not taking any suppliments, but I know I am low on protein. Can't decide what to buy for that.

Well a protein supplement would be a good choice. Maybe look at the At Large Nutrition line of supplements?

4g64fiero
01-28-2011, 08:27 AM
I 100% believe its real. I have thought this from my own observations.

cutter
01-28-2011, 09:13 AM
I changed my diet, no more cravings. Added potatoes, and Pepsi.