PDA

View Full Version : Superdad - we'll get there!

Spiderfx
01-21-2011, 03:45 PM
This log may differ slightly to other users logs i have looked at but be patient :)

I am currently 22 years of age. I have, until now been so annoyed at my weight and fat, yet i continued to pack the crap on! I have a 2 year old daughter, and a son due next month. I don't want to be the typical dad who is overweight, out of shape and the having to sit on the sideline while my kids are running round the park. So, it has to change, and now. This journal will not initially be focused on increasing the weight i lift, but to take Off Road's advice, and to learn the lifts and get fantastic form with every lift for the first 3 months, while conditioning my body. I will be doing the Starting Strength routine, while sorting my awful eating habits out.
My overall aim is to be BIG!

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 280lbs
BF%: ~26%

After a few forum threads, i now have realistic goals i want to achieve.

After 3 months, i would like to have lost 20lbs of fat
After 6 months i would like to have lost a total of 45lbs. And seen some nice progression in strength between 3 and 6 months.

This will put me at 235lbs.
I will review my short term goals when its time to cross that bridge.

As a long term goal. Well i would like to reach around 12% body fat and bulked, and according to the weight trainer calulator, my weight would be ~232lbs maximum, this is achieveable, but i dont want to set my eye on too big a goal and fail. So, its certainly something to work towards, rather than scratching my head and going er...BIG.. ha!!

My journey will begin on the 24th Jan (monday) when my damn parcels arrive.

I would like to once again thanks all you guys who have posted in my threads about realistic natural goals and my diet and nutrition threads. I have learnt more in the last 6 days on WBB, than i did the last countless years of google searches.

Let the overweight, fat mess destroying commence...

Spiderfx
02-02-2011, 02:28 PM
So, nearly 2 weeks have passed. I got my stuff eventually and began the starting strength workout.
First off, my diet is definitely a lot better. Never eaten so much damn veg! Im careful with everything i cook. I know whats going in and kicked all the bad eating habits. I can safely say i have stuck to a good diet ~80% of the time. I feel like i have more energy, im even becoming more confident in myself, guess its all the testosterone eh ha!

The only problem i have come to really is doing powercleans. I tried and tried, i got my wife to film me to see what i was doing and i still cant get them right. So i checked around and found the wiki for starting strength and found the "Practical Programming Novice Program"
I started it quite worried. Its something i also worried about last time, the knees!! I still cant understand how on earth your knees are able to handle so much weight! My first squats literally consisted of my bar because all i saw in my head were my knees snapping!
So over the 2 weeks ive slowly increased the weight. I have just finished my session, and definitely a lot more confident lifting heavier than just the bar on the squats.

I feel quite weak posting these, compared to other journals, but what the hell, in a few years time i will look back and see the progress i made and see how my life changed! I have taken it light to begin with, and ensured i focus 100% on my form, and slowly getting heavier, so when i start lifting what im capable off then i will have good form.

Weight:- 275lb

Squat: 45kg
Deadlift: 90kg
Floor Press (dont have a bench yet): - 50kg
Overhead Press:-40kg
Pull Ups: 15/15/13 (with a chair)
Chin Ups (yet to do)

Some of these lifts seemed quite easy, but i dont want to powerhouse into a new life and ruin my body in a few weeks and spend months recovering. I did this last time and destroyed my knee!

I want to thank everyone who helped me in the first few threads i made. It gave me some amazing information and a starting point. Ive taken all the advice and got stuck in and **** it feels good!

StLRPh
02-02-2011, 03:16 PM
It's absolutely OK to sub Pendlay rows for the power cleans. For the rows you'll do 3 sets of 5 reps. Good luck with everythiing.