PDA

View Full Version : egg whites

gelong
01-22-2011, 11:18 PM
I have just found out having too many egg whites a day is unhealthy - apparently it can lead to biotin deficiency.

What is the daily upper limit?

Thank you.

BoAnderson71
01-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Ive never understood the whole egg white thing unless you are older and have heart problems. Nature put the yoke aka fat in there along with the protein. Not many things from nature are bad. So why seperate them if nature put it in there for you.

cutter
01-23-2011, 05:30 AM
....about five and I'm stuffed.
Seriously though, there is a lot of contradictory health information concerning eggs. It seems that most of the negative info comes from groups that are influenced by animal rights groups.
Do a little more research. Who said it, how did they get their data, and who paid them to do it.

Codeguru
01-23-2011, 11:42 AM
The only thing I've heard of is Cholesteral in the yokes. So, unless you're over the daily limit on Cholesteral, which I never am, eat all the eggs you want. But I'm sure there's still some magic bad thing they will create as to why eggs are just inherently bad though...

Codeguru

dynamo
01-23-2011, 12:43 PM
its the raw egg whites that supposedly cause the biotin deficiency. cook them. problem solved.

first link on google: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/984803-overview

NickAus
01-23-2011, 02:26 PM
I used to have 10-12 eggs a day every day(10-12 whites with 3-4 being whole), I did this for about a year with no problems and I did put on some good weight too.

I am down to about 5 whole eggs a week now as I get my protein from other sources mostly.

You can always try it for a few months, many many people eat a **** ton off eggs and I personally have not heard of any problems.

Mark!
01-23-2011, 06:07 PM
I haven't had any issues, blood work has been great for the past 3 years, and I eat a crapload of eggs. Buy at least 3-4 cases a month, my boys do enjoy their eggs too.

gelong
01-23-2011, 10:17 PM
I have just found out that excessive consumption of egg whites can lead to biotin deficiency (vitamin B7).

However my blood work is very good but I have proven eating egg yokes leads to higher LDL - but thats just me.

At the moment I have 12 egg whites a day.

Behemoth
01-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Ive never understood the whole egg white thing unless you are older and have heart problems. Nature put the yoke aka fat in there along with the protein. Not many things from nature are bad. So why seperate them if nature put it in there for you.

65% of a whole eggs calories are fat calories. I'd burn up half my days allotment at breakfast if I ate 6 whole eggs...

Mercuryblade
01-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Not many things from nature are bad.

This couldn't be further from the truth, there are plenty of perfectly "natural" things that are perfectly terrible for us. Just like there are plenty of nasty things that are added to foods and supplements in manufacturing processes, there are plenty of things that are "natural" that suck just as much.

Hartzell84
01-25-2011, 01:06 PM
i been eating 2 dozen eggs a week and i just got blood work done and everything came back great

Mercuryblade
01-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Even though it's already been addressed in this thread (thanks dynamo),

Since this thread is heavy on the bro science I feel the need to chime in:

The plural of anecdote is not data.
Just because you engaged in a certain activity without an problems, doesn't mean you are a good statistical representative of the rest of the population. So saying things like "yeah I engage in activity (x) and never had (y) happen" has little to no bearing on whether (x) should be considered a "safe" activity". Just because (y) doesn't happen to you, it doesn't mean that (y) won't happen to someone else, or that (y) will never happen to you.

Although you obviously mean well, these comments just aren't helpful, and should never be used as a basis on which to make a decision about whether or not to eat a certain food, or supplement etc.

bradley
01-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Raw egg whites contain avidin which binds biotin and could cause a deficiency, but as another member pointed out cooking the egg whites denatures the avidin and therefore does not bind biotin. Just don't try and be Rocky and you will be fine. Eggs are a great source of protein and fat, and if you are watching calories just ditch the yolk. If I am not mistaken an egg white has approximately 13 calories for a medium sized egg.