PDA

View Full Version : Calorie intake vs. Sleep cycle

Bosch232
01-24-2011, 09:45 PM
For much of 2010, I was pushing 3,500 cal daily. And my sleep cycle was awful. About 4 nights per week I'd wake up in the middle of the night, and remain awake for a minimum of 2 1/2 hours. It was bad enough that I was taking sleep aids.

On Dec 27th, I began a cut (2,500 cal daily). Immediately I slept through the night, and have continued to do so for about 3 1/2 weeks now.

Last night I went off the wagon and really ate a lot (date night with the wife, away from the squids). And sure enough, like clockwork, I was up from 1:00 a.m. until 4:00 a.m.

There must be a connection. I'm hoping maybe some of the physiology guys can offer some enlightenment. I'd like to bulk again later in 2011, but not at the expense of sleep. And I wonder whether it's the physical amount of food, or the total quantity of calories (irregardless of the form they take.)

Bulking and insomnia do NOT mix.

arche
01-25-2011, 01:16 AM
There must be best relation between calories and the sleep you take.
both are effect your health.

Off Road
01-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Interesting. I've never had that problem, but I have woken up before because I was so hungry during the night.
Just thinking out of the box...have you tried a carb cut-off in the evenings to see if that would help?

Songsangnim
01-25-2011, 08:59 AM
For much of 2010, I was pushing 3,500 cal daily. And my sleep cycle was awful. About 4 nights per week I'd wake up in the middle of the night, and remain awake for a minimum of 2 1/2 hours. It was bad enough that I was taking sleep aids.

On Dec 27th, I began a cut (2,500 cal daily). Immediately I slept through the night, and have continued to do so for about 3 1/2 weeks now.

Last night I went off the wagon and really ate a lot (date night with the wife, away from the squids). And sure enough, like clockwork, I was up from 1:00 a.m. until 4:00 a.m.

There must be a connection. I'm hoping maybe some of the physiology guys can offer some enlightenment. I'd like to bulk again later in 2011, but not at the expense of sleep. And I wonder whether it's the physical amount of food, or the total quantity of calories (irregardless of the form they take.)

Bulking and insomnia do NOT mix.

When do you take your last meal of the day (when bulking)? If you take it just before sleeping, the digestion process might be interfering with sleep patterns.

ThomasG
01-25-2011, 09:31 AM
I've heard of this more the other way around. When cutting a person can wake up due to cravings/ lower blood sugar levels.

Cali4nia
01-25-2011, 09:45 AM
It's probably due to metabolic disturbances that have been linked to obesity.

Bosch232
01-25-2011, 12:38 PM
I've heard of this more the other way around. When cutting a person can wake up due to cravings/ lower blood sugar levels.

Well that's just great: I'm bass-ackward..!!

When I was consuming 3,500/day, I was eating right up until bed time. So perhaps re-mapping my meals to avoid that would help. It would be worth a try. Anything beats taking sleeping pills, but I was getting desperate for sleep.

Bosch232
01-25-2011, 12:39 PM
It's probably due to metabolic disturbances that have been linked to obesity.

This is perhaps the most vague reply I've seen in a while. You're going to have to elaborate.

everphilski
01-25-2011, 12:46 PM
When I was consuming 3,500/day, I was eating right up until bed time. So perhaps re-mapping my meals to avoid that would help. It would be worth a try. Anything beats taking sleeping pills, but I was getting desperate for sleep.
Did you change the distribution of macros for various meals when you switched from bulk/cut? I'm thinking dinner and on.

Kiff
01-25-2011, 01:05 PM
I find that a glass of milk settles anything in my stomach while bulking, ok i have never cut but it does help if i eat right before bed. Just my experience mate.

If i dont i find i get really warm and cant settle...

Behemoth
01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Try cracking the window or putting a fan on. I'd be willing to bet you're waking up due to increased body heat causing you to become restless with your covers.

thatNUCKOLSkid
01-25-2011, 04:31 PM
it could be eating pattern. you said you were eating up until bedtime to get in 3500 kcal. since a lot of hormones are linked to dietary intake, you could just be throwing off your circadian rhythm of seratonin release.

Songsangnim
01-26-2011, 05:27 AM

Both low and high amounts of food can cause problems...One due to cravings as you mentioned, the other due to digestive issues.

www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=109

Scroll down and see the second paragraph under the heading "Patterns and Timing Make a Difference" as to what those "digestive issues" are exactly.

Basically even if we are tired and go to sleep shortly after eating we can still wake up later due to the on-going digestive process...which sounds like it may be happening in the OP's case. Whereas with a cut he's asking his digestive system to do less work thus maybe ensuring a more restful night.