PDA

View Full Version : Should've done this 3 years ago

berfles
01-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Hey guys, I used to be pretty active here way back when, and I had a bunch of people ask me to make a journal but I never felt like it. I figured I'd start one now.

First, a little background: I started at 135lbs. I was the typical skinny runt with no muscle mass whatsoever. I felt like I was about to take off when the wind blew too hard. If you search my threads here you'll see some before pictures that will probably make you laugh, they still make me laugh to this day.
Anyway, initially I bought a 20lb DB and started curling (surprise!). I noticed that my right arm was strong than my left, so naturally I ended up just doing my right arm because it was easier. Iíd walk around the house curling with one arm and before I knew it, I looked like a damn fiddler crab (relatively speaking, I was still a runt).

A few years later, I got a cheap standard bench for Christmas and started ďreally working outĒ, or so I thought at the time. It was a Weider standard bench complete with the little exercise guide poster, so I hung that on my garage wall and went to town. For some reason I had it in my head that I was stronger than I was, but that was quickly quashed when I couldnít even bench 95lbs. I donít think I made any real progress, I may have gained 10-15lbs but that was it. I remember I moved my setup to the basement and all I did then was bench, shoulder press, and deadlift. Of course I did a bunch of arm work too.

That went on for about another year or two before I finally had enough and found out you could own a purchase a power rack for home use. I started researching them and seeing if they would even fit, and thatís when I found WBB. I think one of my first posts was asking about a power rack, either that or bitching that I couldnít gain weight despite eating a ďmassiveĒ 3000 calories. At this point I was 160lbs and convinced Iíd never gain any real weight. Even my damn doctor told me I wouldnít be able to gain weight until my 30s because of my ultra fast metabolism. I decided to go forward with my power rack decision and got myself a REAL setup where I could do REAL work.

At that same time, WBB kicked me in the face and told me to stop being a bitch and start eating, so thatís what I did. I upped it to 4000, then 5000, then 6000 where I pretty much stayed and ate that every single day of my life. Many times a week I recall staring at myself in the mirror as I choked down the last of my 1600 calorie shake right before bed, fighting the urge to puke and spitting out mouthfuls of drool as my body prepared to expel the food I was forcing upon it. Thatís really what drove me the most, the fact that my body didnít want me to gain weight. It pissed me off that my own damn body was trying to hold me back, and I used that to gain the willpower required to push myself to the point of puking almost every single night. It made the fire strong enough to keep me motivated despite never stepping foot in a real gym to "feed" off the energy or ever even having a workout partner to show me things.

Without going real in depth since this is already very long, doing that combined with a 5x5 routine that I rarely ever changed (and still use to this day), I hit my goal of 180lbs, then 200lbs, then 225lbs, and currently I sit at 235lbs. If I wouldnít have found out that I could own my own power rack, or if I didnít stumble onto this site, or as clichť as it is, if everyone didnít tell me it wouldnít be possible, I would have never gotten to where I am today. I am my own worst critic and most of the time I donít think I look that great or that Iím that strong, but when I take a step back, I realize what Iíve accomplished.

So, without rambling any more, get ready to see some strange workouts that donít look like much. The journal will likely be very redundant as, like I said, I rarely change my routine. The weights will go up, the rep schemes may change, but the core routine will be the same. Some of you may be surprised to see what I actually do night to night, but itís been working since I started and Iím not about to change anything.

Thanks for reading (if you made it this far), and letís go forward with the journal.

Bench
130x10
225x5

310x5
310x5
310x5
310x5
310x5

DB Flyes
75x10
75x10
75x10
(I have IM dumbbells and they only go to 75lbs)

See what I mean? Doesnít look like much, nothing flashy, and even a ďuselessĒ exercise thrown in there., but it is what it is. I've gained 100lbs and put hundreds upon hundreds of pounds on all my lifts with this routine.

LuNa
01-25-2011, 01:39 AM
I remember seeing your progress thread which completely blew me away. Will tag on for the ride.

Maybe you could outline goals and such. You have mentioned before that you wanted to make the 100lbs gained mark and would then cut.

berfles
01-25-2011, 10:40 AM
I don't usually set short term goals, but you're right, my one goal was to gain the 100lbs. I'm set to cut for this Spring because being this heavy is getting a little bothersome. Not sure how that will play out, if I get weaker I'll probably revert back to trying to gain weight right away.

My only other goal is to have a 400/500/600 total. I'm close to that now, so I'm not sure what I'll shoot for next. Main priority is dropping some fat and maintaining my strength.

Deadlifts tonight.

Coke
01-25-2011, 11:06 AM
It is very impressive what you have done over the years and showcased here, even without a journal.

No doubt, you are on your way to new heights. Good luck as you move forward man.

berfles
01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
It is very impressive what you have done over the years and showcased here, even without a journal.

No doubt, you are on your way to new heights. Good luck as you move forward man.

Thanks broseph, good to have some feedback.

Tonight was kind of ****ty, I feel off with deadlifting for some reason. I don't know if I lost my form slightly again or if I'm coming down with something, but it's a lot tougher than it should be. I'm doing a 5x3 with them right now because I was getting totally fried for squats on Thursday with a full 5x5, but turns out this doesn't help much either.

Deadlifts
135x10
225x5

460x3
460x3
460x3
460x3
460x3

Pull-ups

BW+25x5
BW+25x5
BW+25x5

Been awhile since I've done these, but I'm going to start being more faithful.

joey54
01-25-2011, 06:55 PM
A great addition to the journal section. If you would have started one when you first joined and kept it until now, we could just point the noobs here. Well................we still may.

berfles
01-25-2011, 07:11 PM
A great addition to the journal section. If you would have started one when you first joined and kept it until now, we could just point the noobs here. Well................we still may.

It would have been cool to have it all in one place for sure. I've actually been keeping almost a journal in a home equipment thread at another forum, but I tend to just post my numbers rather than elaborate like I plan on doing here.

Off Road
01-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Really glad you started a journal. Can't wait to follow your progress.

Drew92
01-26-2011, 07:07 AM
Really glad you started a journal. Can't wait to follow your progress.

I second that, your progress has been amazing.

berfles
01-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys.

Shoulders tonight, I tend to bounce back and forth between these weights for shoulder press because I either tweak something or I'm just worried about blowing my RC out.

Seated Shoulder Press
135x5
135x5

200x5
200x5
200x5
200x5
200x5

Working my way back up to 215, 200 was easy tonight.

Side Laterals supersetted with Front Laterals

45x8
45x8
45x8

My lower back is fried yet again, squatting is going to be a bitch tomorrow. I really need to find a way to stretch out or something, or maybe a foam roller would help.

LuNa
01-27-2011, 01:14 AM
Nice presses. I sometimes roll my lower back at the gym and it feels great. I think a foam roller could definitely be a good investment.

Off Road
01-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Huge presses. Do you use a back rest?

SCmmaFAN
01-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Very cool that you started a journal. As for your comment of, "get ready to see some strange workouts that donít look like much", I mean who is anyone to argue with you. You're performing all of the major compound lifts and I personally think it's cool to see someone making "strange workouts" work for them. You obviously know what works for you and that is what counts.

Behemoth
01-27-2011, 07:54 AM
This is good stuff. Your early lifting was like mine, benching on an old weider in the garage day after day thinking I was buff. I wish everybody with a fast metabolism would look read your initial post. I hate it when people think they can't gain weight, or worse, when people think they're eating a lot at 3 or 4 thousand calories.

You should include some pics, what you posted in the pics section a few weeks ago was very impressive. Do you have any aspirations at competing in powerlifting or bodybuilding?

Off Road
01-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Some people around here might think your routines are "strange", but not me. Abreviated is BEST :)

killxswitch
01-27-2011, 08:31 AM
I don't post a ton but I have kind of watched your progress over the years and it is really impressive. I'm glad you started this journal. Is this 5x5 something you just kind of developed on your own or did it start out as an established program that you just kind of changed as you went?

killxswitch
01-27-2011, 08:50 AM
For those that aren't familiar, this is how berfles here started out:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/148-4806_IMG-1.jpg
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?108965-Crappy-MM-ish-pose

berfles
01-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Nice presses. I sometimes roll my lower back at the gym and it feels great. I think a foam roller could definitely be a good investment.

Thanks, I'll look into one. I've actually been meaning to get one for awhile.

Huge presses. Do you use a back rest?

Nope, I don't incline my bench at all, just sit on it flat.

Very cool that you started a journal. As for your comment of, "get ready to see some strange workouts that donít look like much", I mean who is anyone to argue with you. You're performing all of the major compound lifts and I personally think it's cool to see someone making "strange workouts" work for them. You obviously know what works for you and that is what counts.

That's what I thought too, but I always get someone who insinuates I'm doing "something else". Or I even had someone here tell me I'd probably see better gains if I did something else...

This is good stuff. Your early lifting was like mine, benching on an old weider in the garage day after day thinking I was buff. I wish everybody with a fast metabolism would look read your initial post. I hate it when people think they can't gain weight, or worse, when people think they're eating a lot at 3 or 4 thousand calories.

You should include some pics, what you posted in the pics section a few weeks ago was very impressive. Do you have any aspirations at competing in powerlifting or bodybuilding?

Indeed, most people who start out skinny think 3-4k is an impossible amount, but in the end they just have to decide if they want it bad enough or if they're content being a baby about it.

I'll try to throw some other pictures up tomorrow. I'd like to get into powerlifting since that's basically what I train for, but only if I can cut down a bit and maintain my strength. I'm too hard on myself as it is, so if I didn't do well at my current weight it might mess with me. My numbers at 200lbs or so would be much more impressive though. I'd like to hit a 400lb bench soon, and then keep it when I cut down to around 205. That will be hard though, especially since I've never cut before.

I don't post a ton but I have kind of watched your progress over the years and it is really impressive. I'm glad you started this journal. Is this 5x5 something you just kind of developed on your own or did it start out as an established program that you just kind of changed as you went?

The 5x5 is something I found online actually, it was some article about using it for your bench. I saw all the Madcow and Bill Starr routines or whatever, but this one was nice and simple and I liked the sets across method so I gave it a shot. I ended up just using it for all my compounds because I figured if it worked for my bench, it would work for my other compounds, and I was right. Once I stalled out with that, I think someone here recommended I try a 5x3 or 3x5, so I went with the 5x3. I tried finding the link but can't anymore, pisses me off because I had it printed out and with my logbook forever but I brought it upstairs one time and now it's gone. If I could find the printout I could Google some exact words from it and get the link again. I remember looking at it and thinking "damn, this guy benches 295x5x5, I'll never get there." I started with the 5x5 when I was benching 170 I think.

As for tonight, squat night. Just like I suspected, my back was a pain (literally) and my knees were also giving me some pain on the inner parts. Might be because my form was slightly off due to my back, or it could have just been a **** night. At least I got it done.

Squats
135x10
225x5

405x3
405x3
405x3
405x3
405x3

Also doing the 5x3 with them because a 5x5 was getting to be a bit nuts volume wise. Or maybe I'm just a pussy, but I'll get back to a 5x5 eventually. The last 5x5 I did with them was 400lbs (and in the picture below).

I don't have any videos, but here's the picture of how low I go during my squats, I wanted to see because I haven't taken a video in so long:

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz139/berfles/squat.jpg

4g64fiero
01-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Hell yes 5x5 works. I am excited to see a simple program do so much. This looks alot like texas method but even simpler.

LuNa
01-28-2011, 01:05 AM
a2g with 400lbs, very impressive. Do you use your belt on the seated presses?

Off Road
01-28-2011, 07:27 AM
I'd say you're breaking parallel :)

Behemoth
01-28-2011, 07:39 AM
That's a serious ass to grass squat. at 405x3x5 thats really, really good stuff.

berfles
01-28-2011, 11:10 AM
a2g with 400lbs, very impressive. Do you use your belt on the seated presses?

Nope, I don't use a belt or wraps for anything. Don't even own any.

Thanks guys. Not sure what I'll do about next week yet, maybe I'll see if this week's deads and squats were just off days and then take a break if needed.

Tonight is my dumb arm night, I hate arms.

mchicia1
01-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Are you naturally that flexible or do you work on it?

Behemoth
01-28-2011, 11:43 AM
How wide are you squatting? You look pretty narrow which is even more impressive keeping the back flat down there

berfles
01-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Are you naturally that flexible or do you work on it?

Don't work on it, I don't consider myself flexible, but my hips must be decently flexible. I can't even cross my legs when I sit, I can't scratch my back effectively etc.

How wide are you squatting? You look pretty narrow which is even more impressive keeping the back flat down there

My stance is shoulder width or slightly narrower. I never wanted to do the powerlifter style squat.

Drew92
01-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Its hard to tell from the picture but do you squat high bar or low bar?

chevelle2291
01-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Awesome progress, numbers, and an even more awesome squat Berfles.

berfles
01-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Its hard to tell from the picture but do you squat high bar or low bar?

High bar, never liked how low bar felt.

Awesome progress, numbers, and an even more awesome squat Berfles.

Cmanuel
01-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Bout time you made a journal. I saw your progress pics when you hit the 200 mark a couple years ago and I kept asking why you didnt have a journal, HA!

Def gonna check in here often

berfles
01-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Bout time you made a journal. I saw your progress pics when you hit the 200 mark a couple years ago and I kept asking why you didnt have a journal, HA!

Def gonna check in here often

I remember :)

New milestone tonight, repping 3 plates per side for 5x5. That is, if I had six 45s, I still only have four. One of these days I'm buying 800lbs of OMEZH Ivankos.

Anyway:

Bench
135x10
225x4

315x5
315x5
315x5
315x5
315x5

A little tough, not sure I can hit 320 for a full 5x5 my first try but we'll see. I'm feeling kind of beat up, I'm taking tomorrow and Thursday off because of it. I have to give my knees a break.

It's kind of nuts the progress I've had with my bench these last few months. Bench has always been my ****tiest lift, but back in October-November I barely did 295x5x5 and once I did I could never do it again. I switched to a 5x3 until I was at 330lbs, and here I am at 320x5x5 next week. I haven't put any real weight on in that time either.

Probably around a year ago is when I benched 320x1, I need to try again.

DB Flyes

75x10
75x10
75x10

cphafner
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
wow I'm shocked you never had a jounral. By for one of the best transformations you this site has had.

SCmmaFAN
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Very nice benching and I just love your 5x5/5x3 routine. You might have covered this already but how does your progression scheme work?

mchicia1
01-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Awesome benching dude. You doing any meets soon? I'm real curious as to what your 1RMs are. 315 for a 5x5 is honestly, probably upper 300 max.

berfles
01-31-2011, 08:09 PM
wow I'm shocked you never had a jounral. By for one of the best transformations you this site has had.

Very nice benching and I just love your 5x5/5x3 routine. You might have covered this already but how does your progression scheme work?

Progression is pretty simple. If I can get a full 5x5 with the weight, the next week I add 5lbs and try again. If I do it again, 5 more pounds. If I only get something like 5,5,4,4,3 reps, I keep trying that weight until I get a full 5x5. If it's taking more than a few weeks to hit the full session, I drop back 10-15lbs and work my way back up. If that still doesn't work, that's when I switch to the 5x3 and apply the same thing. Then I'll go back to the 5x5 when i stall out with the 5x3.

Awesome benching dude. You doing any meets soon? I'm real curious as to what your 1RMs are. 315 for a 5x5 is honestly, probably upper 300 max.

No meets planned, maybe after I cut if I can keep my strength.

My last 1RM was 350 a few months ago and that was before I could even do 300x5x5, I'm hoping for at least 370-380 this time around. 1RM calculators say around 385 but they're never that close.

killxswitch
01-31-2011, 11:46 PM
Wow dude 3 plates per side for 25 reps is very impressive. You are such an odd mix of self deprecation and incredible mental and physical strength. I don't mean that in a bad way, just uncommon. Good work. Most people seem like they move away from 5x5 after a while but you just aren't slowing down with it.

berfles
02-07-2011, 12:54 PM
I have a feeling tonight is going to suck. I took the week off last week aside from benching, but I got about 4 hours of sleep last night and ate like **** most of the week because not lifting throws my schedule off. I guess I'll find out later, but get ready for a pissed berfles.

killxswitch
02-07-2011, 01:00 PM
I bet you end up surprising yourself. In a positive way I mean.

berfles
02-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Eh, I've been doing that for the past three weeks when I didn't think I could get a full 5x5, I don't think I'm getting it tonight though. I'd be happy if I could get at least 3 sets of 5 in.

killxswitch
02-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Haha, ok man I guess we'll see.

berfles
02-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Well I was right and wrong. Right because the workout sucked ass, but wrong because I did better than I thought. I got home and started having stomach cramps and felt like I was going to puke and long story short my form was off just enough to botch my fourth set. I guess it gives me something to work for next week, but I hate how one little thing off with your form completely destroys the session. At least it does for me. My joints were hurting a bit and my shoulders started burning again, I probably sucked from the week off of shoulder work, that's all it takes with me. Hopefully I can get it next week, I almost didn't do anything tonight because of how bad I felt.

Bench
135x10
225x4

320x5
320x5
320x5
320x4
320x3 (could have had 4, didn't want to push anything too hard and injure myself)

DB Flyes

75x10
75x10
75x10

Piece of **** body.

LuNa
02-08-2011, 03:24 AM
You put up a session i would be happy to have. I know thats how you motivate yourself to push harder though, so keep it up :p.

Behemoth
02-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Piece of **** body.

Lol. Nice push day Berfles.

When you going to put up a most muscular shot or a side chest or something!!?

berfles
02-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Lol. Nice push day Berfles.

When you going to put up a most muscular shot or a side chest or something!!?

Not for a long while, I feel like **** and those poses aren't flattering at all right now.

I'm thinking of starting my cut already, I can't take much more of this bloated, ****ty feeling. I look pregnant if I full relax, which I assume is visceral fat since I can still see some abs when I flex, and that's extremely unhealthy.

This has been the worst week of lifting I recall having, I should have never taken that week off. It's not that the weight is too heavy on squats and deads, but it just almost hurts my joints, like they forgot what the load was even like. Pisses me off, I dropped a ****load of weight on those two lifts and still didn't feel like a nice ease back to lifting from the week off.

I'll see how things go next week, but I'm seriously going to start cutting. I need to look into what the hell to do, because I haven't even started thinking about it beyond just not drinking one of my huge shakes and/or not putting so much **** in them, and throwing in some heavy bag training or something. I won't need to do much to lose weight, I'm just worried about losing weight and all my strength.

killxswitch
02-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Between your ridiculous metabolism and all the muscle you've put on I doubt you'll have to do much to cut down to where you want to be.

mchicia1
02-10-2011, 07:47 PM
I normally don't try and give advice to someone who is stronger than I am..

But to your joint issue..

Have you given any though to switching routines? All that heavy ass weight, 25 heavy reps per session, is no doubt taking its toll on your joints. Have you considered switching to a ramping 5x5 or a program like 5/3/1?

joey54
02-12-2011, 03:45 PM
If I remember correctly Berfles tried the 5-3-1, but liked his progression scheme better.

berfles
02-14-2011, 10:15 AM
If I remember correctly Berfles tried the 5-3-1, but liked his progression scheme better.

Yep, I tried 5/3/1 for awhile and just about every one of my lifts went down or I made no progress.

I don't think it's the weight and all the sets, I think something is just up with me. The week before my break I felt fine in all but my deadlifts, and now suddenly even my squats suck. Attribute it to the week off or the fact that I have a sinus infection and just feel "off", that's what I need to find out.

My bench, shoulder presses, and pull-ups were fine so who knows. It's not that I need to switch my reps up again for squats and deadlifts because I knocked a ton of weight off them for the first week back and it still felt bad. Probably just a small form issue or something mental combined with the fact I haven't been eating great, but that's another story.

berfles
02-14-2011, 07:01 PM
A little better tonight. I had to take a few extra minutes in between sets, but I got it.

Bench
135x10
225x4

320x5
320x5
320x5
320x5
320x5

Didn't think I was going to come close, 225 felt heavy tonight. Once again my last two sets were ****ed up by a slip in form where I brought the bar down pretty much to the middle of my stomach. I even did that on rep 5 of set 5, it sucked.

DB Flyes

75x10
75x10
75x10

The usual.

I'm also going for my first jog in years tonight, I'm still not sure what to do about this cutting thing. I may stop taking my big shake to work since it tastes putrid after sitting overnight in the fridge, and just start some jogging/heavy bag stuff. That shake is at least 1200-1400 calories, though I have no clue what I'm eating daily anymore. I'll start that again too, but I have to get rid of this visceral fat, it's disgusting and I'm worried I'll be one of those who falls over dead even though they worked out daily.

Cmanuel
02-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Just a couple quick questions on your training...

1. Have you always focused on 1 big movement per day and then follow up with assistance while on this 5x5?
2. Are you lifting days on a set schedule or just by feel?

I am considering switching up to something like this... Actually thinking about doing a similar program

berfles
02-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Just a couple quick questions on your training...

1. Have you always focused on 1 big movement per day and then follow up with assistance while on this 5x5?
2. Are you lifting days on a set schedule or just by feel?

I am considering switching up to something like this... Actually thinking about doing a similar program

I used to do 3x5 of weighted dips after my bench, but then I stopped doing them because I was using enough weight to annoy my shoulders. That's when I switched to the piddly flyes. Other than that, I've only done the one big compound per day with some assistance after.

I lift on the traditional schedule i.e. Monday = Chest, Tuesday = Back, Wednesday = Shoulders, Thursday = Legs, Friday = whatever. I was never one to work out based on how I felt because it's tough enough to keep motivation having never worked out with anyone in my life, if I got off my set routine and just tried to "wing it" I know I'd slip up and make excuses. If something comes up I'll switch the days around, but other than that it's the same thing every week.

LuNa
02-17-2011, 01:28 AM
I used to do 3x5 of weighted dips after my bench, but then I stopped doing them because I was using enough weight to annoy my shoulders. That's when I switched to the piddly flyes. Other than that, I've only done the one big compound per day with some assistance after.

I lift on the traditional schedule i.e. Monday = Chest, Tuesday = Back, Wednesday = Shoulders, Thursday = Legs, Friday = whatever. I was never one to work out based on how I felt because it's tough enough to keep motivation having never worked out with anyone in my life, if I got off my set routine and just tried to "wing it" I know I'd slip up and make excuses. If something comes up I'll switch the days around, but other than that it's the same thing every week.

Exactly how i feel. Its easier to follow a fixed routine (not just exercises, but days lifted/body parts trained) than to go in whenever you feel like it. I would probably never really feel like it.

berfles
02-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Just updating to let you know I'm not dead. I am pretty pissed, though.

As usual, co-workers don't know how the hell to stay home when they get sick and Monday night I had a fever and chills along with a dry cough. The fever broke overnight and I woke up soaked in sweat, but the cough got worse. I was coughing so hard my head felt like it would explode. Fast forward to today, the cough isn't as nagging but now my sinuses are congested. I better be well by Monday, I'm not missing another week.

It literally feels like I haven't worked out in a month even though it's only been a week. I know I lost a ton of weight too, and that's what pisses me off. I know my bench will be back to **** again after this, I finally get to 320x5x5 and now I'll probably have to reset at 310 or something. Man I'm going to be in a bad mood come this week.

killxswitch
02-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Get well soon man. Hopefully you didn't lose too much weight, I know you have to really work to pack it on.

Coke
02-25-2011, 06:19 PM
I know the feeling bro, but at your level, you should be able to bounce back swiftly.

borracho
02-28-2011, 08:20 AM
I am really happy to see you (finally) started a journal. I use to do a 5x5 straight weight routine as well and have been thinking of reverting back to that this year...seeing this journal pop up is almost a sign. Hope you recover quickly from the illness and then teabag the individuals coffee cup that got you sick.

berfles
02-28-2011, 06:51 PM
I hope I recover fast too because this sucks. I did 300x5x5 tonight and it wasn't even easy, though I'm still not 100% and I did lose 10lbs in two weeks. It better come back, I'm about ready to punch through my wall as it is.

**** cutting. I'm going back to bringing a shake with me to work.

joey54
03-01-2011, 07:05 PM
The old 2 steps forward, 1 step back!

berfles
03-03-2011, 06:39 PM
The old 2 steps forward, 1 step back!

Feels more like one step forward, two back. I didn't seem to lose any strength in my shoulders though, and didn't push myself that hard tonight with squats because I'm still coughing my ass off and getting headaches from it. Every rep felt like my head was going to explode.

ATG Squats
135x10
225x5

350x3
350x3
350x3
350x3
350x10

Figured I'd punish my body a little for getting sick, so I threw 10 reps in at the end. 50lbs less than my last session, but again, I'm getting back into things slowly. Good thing is 350 felt light. Within a month I should be back at my old numbers, I don't count the first week or two back from a break, especially when I'm sick.

LuNa
03-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Hope you feel better soon Berfles.

berfles
03-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates and thanks for the well wishes, I tend to not do much with forums when I get a bit discouraged because I look back at what I did before and get pissed. I actually feel even worse when people compliment me during times like that, but that's because I'm stupid.

I think I'm coming back slowly. Monday's bench felt a lot better, I only did 305 but it felt a lot lighter. I still have **** in my lungs and still cough, so I'm STILL not 100% yet. Damn it's annoying.

Tonight was shoulders. Working my way back up in these too, though my strength didn't suffer much at all as I mentioned before. 195 felt light tonight.

Shoulder Press
135x5
135x5

195x5
195x5
195x5
195x5
195x10

Decided to do 10 my last set to see if I could. Pretty easy.

Side Laterals superset w/ Front Laterals

Pansy 30x I don't know, I kept spacing out and thinking of other things. I did at least 10 reps for all three sets.

Squats tomorrow, time to keep climbing back up. I have some PMs I need to address too while I'm not feeling so ****ty about myself.

Invain
03-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I didn't realize you started a journal. Some beast mode numbers in here. What are you trying to cut down to, and what's your diet like?

berfles
03-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Sorry I'm still being a **** and not updating like I was.

Invain, I was going to cut to 205-215, it all depended on when my visceral fat started shedding away and whether or not I got much weaker. The cold shot that out the window and I'm not cutting anymore, I'll try again when my numbers are back where they were.

Still fighting this ****ing thing, now something near my carotid artery (feels like a gland is swollen, are there glands that far down your neck?) hurts when I do the valsalva maneuver. Still have the sinus infection headache too, I need to get to the ****ing doctor. I'll call next week.

My numbers are getting there again I guess.

Monday

Bench
135x10
225x5

310x3
310x3
310x3
310x3
310x3

I went back to the 5x3 to get my strength back faster. It's working, the weight wasn't bad at all after initially starting out weak as hell.

DB Flyes

75x10
75x10
75x10

Nothing new there.

Tuesday

Deadlifts
135x10
225x5

440x3
440x3
440x3
440x3
440x3

Still feels off, likely because of the ****ing headaches.

Pull-ups

BW+25x5
BW+25x5
BW+25x5

Time to go back to BW+35 for those.

Wednesday

Shoulder press
135x5
135x5

200x5
200x5
200x5
200x5
200x5

Not heavy, but again the headaches made it ****ty.

DB Laterals superset with Front Laterals

40x8
40x8
40x8

Thursday

ATG Squats
130x5
225x5

380x3
380x3
380x3
380x3
380x5

Same sob story, head and now throat made things difficult.

A couple more weeks I'll be back to normal in squats and deadlifts, bench will take a little longer as usual, and shoulder presses are where they always are. I'm still watching my knees because while they don't get sore, they are nagging me a little bit. I wouldn't even call it pain at all, it's just a weird feeling. I can't tell if my off-ness from deadlifting is doing it or if it's the squatting, I know I need new shoes though because these Chuck Taylors are ****.

killxswitch
03-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Looks like some strong work to me. Hope you get to feeling better.

fooz
03-17-2011, 07:47 PM
wow.. i completely remember you regularly posting back in 08... I quit lifting for a few years, but damn... looks like you haven't. you got crazy huge man. definitely an inspiration.

joey54
03-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Still getting work in and that is what matters.

berfles
03-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Still getting work in and that is what matters.

I suppose, I just can't believe it's taking me this damn long to get to 100%. I guess me not going to the doctor doesn't help, but oh well.

Monday

Bench
135x10
225x5

315x3
315x3
315x3
315x3
315x3

DB Flyes

75x10
75x10
75x10

Tuesday

Deadlifts
135x10
225x5

450x3
450x3
450x3
450x3
450x3

Next week I'll be back where I was before my cold, finally. They felt better than they have in a long time too.

Pull-ups

BW+25x5
BW+25x5
BW+25x5

Too lazy to take a 35 off the bar, next week I'll get to it.

Thanks for the comments guys, I think I'm getting somewhere again.

joey54
03-22-2011, 08:21 PM
You certainly are. Just keep plugging away.

LuNa
03-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Getting back with some good work. Good luck with the cold.

killxswitch
03-23-2011, 07:15 AM
You are working through it well. Strong lifts again this time.

borracho
03-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Nice to see you back at it bud. Always a motivator to see someone plugging along when they are not 100%.

fooz
03-23-2011, 11:29 AM
throwin around huge numbers in here... even when your feelin shittty. Love it

berfles
03-23-2011, 07:14 PM
You certainly are. Just keep plugging away.

Getting back with some good work. Good luck with the cold.

You are working through it well. Strong lifts again this time.

Nice to see you back at it bud. Always a motivator to see someone plugging along when they are not 100%.

throwin around huge numbers in here... even when your feelin shittty. Love it

Thanks, that's motivation for me too.

Shoulder Press
135x5
135x5

205x5
205x5
205x5
205x5
205x5

Ychw36SOflY

Those pocket HD cameras take nice videos, but the damn things have no wide angle ability. Way too close for my liking, I'll probably just go back to my non HD digital camera for videos of workouts.

Side Laterals superset with Front Laterals

45x8
45x8
45x8

Coke
03-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Impressive 5 x 5 shoulder pressing with heavy weight!!

berfles
03-23-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm never sure if I go low enough, but it's at or below my chin and any lower puts my shoulders at risk for something to go wrong, it just doesn't feel right. It puts them at an awkward position to press, I think I read you don't have to go all the way down anyway.

killxswitch
03-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Strong OH press. I don't have sound do you still watch Scrubs while you lift? I miss that show.

berfles
03-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Strong OH press. I don't have sound do you still watch Scrubs while you lift? I miss that show.

Hahaha, I was wondering if anyone remembered that. No, sadly it's not on when I lift anymore so I'm listening to music. I miss it too, still one of my favorite shows, I watch any episode I see on TV.

killxswitch
03-23-2011, 08:27 PM
You could switch over to Community. It is awesome.

berfles
03-24-2011, 06:54 PM
You could switch over to Community. It is awesome.

I watched part of an episode before, but that was about it. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

ATG Squats
135x10
225x5

390x3
390x3
390x3
390x3
390x5

I've been doing 5 reps at the end mainly to convince myself to stop being a pussy and worrying about even doing 3 reps. Tonight I had to check the weight two or three times to make sure I added right because it felt a lot lighter than I'm used to.

Will someone force me to call the damn doctor already? Headache is still in full force, it feels like brain freeze at a very specific spot on my left side, very uncool while squatting. Then I almost puked again thanks to all the shit in my throat that I tried horking up.

Broke another one of my LockJaw collars too, damn it.

Fun times.

berfles
03-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Bench
135x10
225x5

320x3
320x3
320x3
320x3
320x3

*2 minute break*

225x11

I was trying to do 10 but lost my count and ended up with 11.

lLEm-xe1hjI

First rep was jacked up because I wasn't expecting it to feel that light, I guess when you're used to lifting 100lbs more for the night it has that effect :)

DB Flyes

75x10
75x10
75x10

Not a bad night, something is wrong with my right wrist though. If it's not one thing it's another.

jbob1
03-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Impressive benching man. As far as your wrist, have you tried wrist wraps? They work well for my wrists and I bench a lot less than you.

killxswitch
03-29-2011, 07:07 AM
Looks like things are coming back for you with all the feelings of light weight. How long has the headache been going on? That doesn't sound too good.

Guido
03-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Looking strong in here man. Sounds like you've had a few injury/health setbacks like me, though. It's okay. You'll get through them and will be as strong as ever if you just keep plugging away. Nothing worth having comes easy.

berfles
03-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Impressive benching man. As far as your wrist, have you tried wrist wraps? They work well for my wrists and I bench a lot less than you.

Nope, I've never used any wrap for anything. I should probably look into it with the weight I'm moving, but I can't pinpoint how I hurt my wrist. I don't think it's from benching, it just kind of popped up later last week and hurts on the outer bone when I twist it.

Looks like things are coming back for you with all the feelings of light weight. How long has the headache been going on? That doesn't sound too good.

Headache has been going on for about a month I guess, it's in a localized area of my head and only hurts if I exert. It's actually been getting better, but last time I had this it seemed to be from a sinus infection, I got some pills from the doctor and took them and cleared everything up. I know I have another sinus infection so I'm assuming the headache is the same issue, too much pressure/inflammation.

And of course I still haven't made an appointment because I'm a moron.

Looking strong in here man. Sounds like you've had a few injury/health setbacks like me, though. It's okay. You'll get through them and will be as strong as ever if you just keep plugging away. Nothing worth having comes easy.

You can say that again. It's amazing to me how long it takes to recover from a simple cold and a bad week or two of eating. People always wonder why I'm so paranoid about getting sick and get pissed off when I slack off a little bit in the diet department, it's because it takes me over a month to get my damn numbers back where they belong. My bench is just now finally getting back to where it was a month before I got sick for shit's sake. I'm about ready to switch it back to a 5x5 and work my way up from 300 yet again.

Not sure if I'll start that low this time or just make 10lb jumps in the beginning, but I don't want to spend another month just getting back to 320x5x5. 5lb increments take too long, but at the same time, sometimes you just need to go that slow to keep a steady progression scheme.

berfles
03-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Cut my deadlift session short last night, didn't do any pull-ups. I had to get my hair cut so I was down there way late, I'll do the pull-ups on Friday.

Deadlifts
135x10
225x5

455x3
455x3
455x3
455x3
455x3

Tonight was shoulders. Cut this one a little short too because my wrist is really bothering me.

Shoulder Press
135x5
135x5

210x5
210x5
210x5
210x5
210x5

Any ideas to rehab my wrist? I know when I mess up my RC I can do those lightweight exercises to help it along, is there anything like that for your wrist? I'd take a week off but I know it won't get better in that short amount of time.

LuNa
03-31-2011, 01:28 AM
Your flexibility amazes me. You have a really solid arch on that bench.

I'll second the wristwraps, it makes a big difference. Just googled Eric Cressey Wrist and this was the first link (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/13_tips_for_mighty_elbows_amp_wrists)

I really like Cressey's stuff on prehab and such so maybe this will help you.

berfles
03-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Your flexibility amazes me. You have a really solid arch on that bench.

I'll second the wristwraps, it makes a big difference. Just googled Eric Cressey Wrist and this was the first link (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/13_tips_for_mighty_elbows_amp_wrists)

I really like Cressey's stuff on prehab and such so maybe this will help you.

I don't know why I'm so flexible that way, just natural I guess. My hips and back seem pretty flexible, I don't have a problem going deep on squats either. To be honest, that arch does aggravate my back a bit, but nothing major.

ATG Squats
135x10
225x5

400x3
400x3
400x3
400x3
400x5

Not bad, but my knees started hurting right before I started. I think it's my mind playing tricks on me and trying to turn me into a pussy, but I told myself to f*** off and got to work.

EDIT: Wow, didn't know there were no censors here anymore :eek:

Coke
04-01-2011, 02:42 AM
Stepping to it across the board man, way to be at it.

tom183
04-01-2011, 04:57 AM
Impressive squats man.

Hope the headache goes away. I had to push through a squat session with a headache the other night. No fun at all.

berfles
04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Ok, so I took last week off because my knee hurt and my back was dicked up. During that time I did literally nothing and woke up with a sore hip yesterday, no wonder I hate taking breaks.

Oddly enough I didn't get weaker in my bench like usual. I dropped 5lbs like I always do just so I can "ease" back into things, and after the first set I had to double check I added right because I felt like I could do a lot more. Then I got pissed off because I had my bedroom window open and it started raining, and everything got soaked. Then I ripped my shirt in anger and got a little erratic with benching, nothing too bad, but I could tell my form was off from the anger. All in all it was a decent night back, hope the trend continues.

Bench
135x10
225x5

315x3
315x3
315x3
315x3
315x3

DB Flyes

75x10
75x10
75x10

And no, I still haven't gone to the doctor about my sinus infection :mad:

berfles
04-19-2011, 09:29 PM
On the subject of cutting again, do you guys think hitting the heavy bag for awhile after some workouts would work given my insane metabolism? I tried cutting one of my shakes out last time but that's too big of a drop in calories, so down to either just doing some cardio to burn the few calories I'd need or trying to make one of the shakes smaller. I don't see why the cardio bit wouldn't work though.

af92
04-20-2011, 05:42 AM
On the subject of cutting again, do you guys think hitting the heavy bag for awhile after some workouts would work given my insane metabolism? I tried cutting one of my shakes out last time but that's too big of a drop in calories, so down to either just doing some cardio to burn the few calories I'd need or trying to make one of the shakes smaller. I don't see why the cardio bit wouldn't work though.

Well, its either drop some cals, or create a deficit through cardio. Either way basically does the job. I'd rather not do the damn cardio, but gotta work out that heart too!!

So, yeah, hit that bag son! :evillaugh:

af92
04-20-2011, 05:44 AM
Oh and p.s. - Would you quit being stubborn and just go to the damn doctor already! Damn kids... haha

berfles
04-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Oh and p.s. - Would you quit being stubborn and just go to the damn doctor already! Damn kids... haha

Haha, I'm still just horking out a mouthful of snot before I train.

I practiced some movement and jabs/straights tonight, not with the bag but in front of a mirror. I watched some videos on YouTube and tried to apply what I saw, but it's kind of tough. I don't know if it's possible to teach yourself boxing without getting some nasty habits but I'll give it a shot as I don't know shit about it right now.

Anyone have any good videos or anything? I'm a total noob at it and probably can't even wrap my hands. I tried a few times before and while they were wrapped, they didn't feel like they offered much protection.

On a more serious note, my Uncle passed away last night. I was going to try to go up and see him (lived in MA) but I didn't make it in time, pretty shitty. I didn't feel like training last night so I skipped deadlifts, but tonight I did my shoulder routine.

cphafner
04-20-2011, 08:45 PM

Check in with Bruteman. He is a boxer.

LuNa
04-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss berfles.

berfles
04-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the condolences.

I spent Friday driving up to MA and Saturday attending the funeral, definitely a shitty time.

Not to mention I woke up Friday feeling sick to my stomach, felt that way for the whole 4 hour drive and most of the night, felt a little better Saturday, and now have a 100.5 fever. If I lay down I get a dull ache in my chest when I inhale. I swear to christ I am going to start punching people in the face at work who don't stay the hell home, and if they don't start doing it, I'm going home for the day at the first hint someone is sick. Stupid jackasses, it took me months to almost get back to my old numbers and now they're going to be bullshit again. Calling the doctor at lunch no ifs ands or buts. Maybe they can tell me why the fuck I seem to get sick so often now when I do everything I'm supposed to.

If this is from my sinus infection then I have myself to blame, but my other point still stands. People don't stay home when they're sick, I'll be going home for the day.

berfles
06-02-2011, 07:27 PM
What's going on guys. I trailed off from the journal yet again (but not from working out).

I went to the doctor about my sinus infection, he told me it's probably allergies and gave me stupid amoxicillin which didn't do anything. I don't know if it's truly allergies or if the medication just didn't help at all, but I didn't think allergies made you blow green shit out of your nose. I haven't been having the headaches anymore and I'm pretty much back at the level I was before all this crap started. It just doesn't feel like what allergies would feel like if I had to guess. Maybe I'll try another doctor some time.

Anyway, set a PR with squats tonight:

ATG Squats
135x10
225x5

415x3
415x3
415x3
415x3
415x3

500x1 (PR)

No wraps, belts, or anything else. I will say that weightlifting shoes have made a hell of a difference, I've never felt more stable in the hole.

Last time I tried 500 I was fresh and it pretty much just slammed down on the pins. This time I'm not sure if I was quite "ATG" but I know I was at least parallel, if I didn't do all those sets before I would have really crushed it. It's about damn time. Now I just have to bench 400 and deadlift 600 to get my 400/500/600 goal.

SCmmaFAN
06-02-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm glad to see that you are writing in your journal again.

berfles
06-02-2011, 08:05 PM
I forgot to tell you all the biggest new, I finally got new plates :) I have been wanting these for years, and my CAP plates were so aggravating I couldn't take it anymore. I deserve some nice equipment for all the progress I've made.

http://i.imgur.com/aW7s7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2Q6Zl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IyeFn.jpg

mchicia1
06-02-2011, 08:14 PM
500 squat is a serious milestone, good work.

Coke
06-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Serious upgrade with the new plates!! - bet they're wider than the older versions based on the way they are made. Awesome stuff going on with the squats too, what type of lifting shoes you have?

berfles
06-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys :)

Serious upgrade with the new plates!! - bet they're wider than the older versions based on the way they are made. Awesome stuff going on with the squats too, what type of lifting shoes you have?

Not sure about width (or did you mean thickness?), but they sure fit a hell of a lot tighter. CHeck out these tolerances:

http://i.imgur.com/k64iX.jpg

As for the shoes, I use Rogue Do-Wins. Just got them a few weeks ago and squatted in them twice so far.

http://i.imgur.com/6kKpe.jpg

chevelle2291
06-04-2011, 02:56 AM
Ivankos are nice plates. My gym has those and I like. They do fit tighter.

Shoes are BA. I'd wear those out lol.

Sorry to hear about how sick you've been. I remember when I was bike racing a lot I had a chronic sinus infection that finally went away a few months ago. Sucks to always be worn out.

One thing I'll mention. Have you tried cutting out milk? I seemed to have a lot of issues when I was drinking a lot of milk everyday. I'm pretty certain I have a slight milk allergy that is exacerbated by a large influx of dairy. Maybe cut it out for a week and see how you feel?

Off Road
06-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Great squatting milestone. Congrats.
Those new plates sure are sexy.

berfles
06-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Ivankos are nice plates. My gym has those and I like. They do fit tighter.

Shoes are BA. I'd wear those out lol.

Sorry to hear about how sick you've been. I remember when I was bike racing a lot I had a chronic sinus infection that finally went away a few months ago. Sucks to always be worn out.

One thing I'll mention. Have you tried cutting out milk? I seemed to have a lot of issues when I was drinking a lot of milk everyday. I'm pretty certain I have a slight milk allergy that is exacerbated by a large influx of dairy. Maybe cut it out for a week and see how you feel?

I haven't tried cutting down on milk because that's where I get at least half of my calories, I'd have to do some big time planning to figure out how to make that up. I was going to try it before because I actually thought I did have an allergy developing, but then the symptoms went away so I never fully committed to it.

And looks like I'm going to the ER today. Something big time happened to my foot, I don't know what though. I woke up yesterday and it was fine, but by 1pm it started getting sore when I put weight on it, and around dinner time/now I can barely put weight on it without extreme pain. I think it's the first time I literally HAVE to walk with a limp. Right now it hurts so bad I almost fall over if I step wrong because my foot gives out.

http://www.eorthopod.com/sites/default/files/images/foot_accessory_navicular_anat01.jpg

It's right around the navicular, but I can't tell if it's the bone or the muscle/tendon. I don't understand what the **** I could have done to it, I know I did nothing to it today or Friday, so unless it's a very delayed issue from my 500lb squat I'm out of ideas.

I can push on a part of the navicular as hard as I can and feel no pain, but if I poke slightly above it the pain is sharp as hell. Most of the pain comes from the squishy part between the ankle bone and navicular, whether that's muscle or tendon I don't know though. Seems like it's muscle going by the pictures, maybe some sort of strain? Still don't know what it could be from though, or how it suddenly popped up so painfully.

SCmmaFAN
06-05-2011, 12:09 PM
I hope the foot problem isn't serious. It's one thing you when you know you've done something to cause the pain but it's always scary when there's no rhyme or reason for it. Keep us informed.

berfles
06-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Just got back from the doctor (not the ER< I tend to call anything open on weekends the ER), got an x-ray taken and she didn't see any fractures upon first look. She's going to have a radiologist look at them and make sure she didn't miss anything, but she seems to think it's just a ligament/soft tissue sprain, which is kind of what I was thinking. I've never had this much pain from something like that though, I literally can't put 5% of my weight on it. I told her about my max squat the other day and she agreed that it would be odd to have this pop up days after that.

I'm supposed to take taking Motrin, icing it, wrapping it with a bandage and seeing if it starts to feel better in a day or two. If not, she gave me a card to go see a specialist.

berfles
06-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Foot didn't hold me back for benching tonight, other than a little less leg drive than usual.

Bench
135x10
225x3

320x5
320x5
320x5
320x5
320x5

DB Flyes

75x10
75x10
75x10

I am officially back to where I was before I got sick and lost a bunch of progress, and this time I nailed it my first try instead of taking two weeks to do it. I never even tried 325 in the 5x5, so next week will be the first time. Fun to look at my sig and see that it was at one point my 1RM.

LuNa
06-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Sorry to hear about the foot. Seems like one thing clears up and another pops up. Congrats on the squats, thats a very big milestone.

berfles
06-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Sorry to hear about the foot. Seems like one thing clears up and another pops up. Congrats on the squats, thats a very big milestone.

Thanks, and you got that right. Lately it's rare I can even go a couple weeks without something affecting me.

And I got stuck in my shirt after benching last night, too hot down there.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/253690_10150260644731077_608936076_9190915_1820167_n.jpg

mchicia1
06-07-2011, 01:06 PM
When you gonna compete in a show? Looking extremely thick, can't imagine what that would translate into if you dieted down.

berfles
06-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Probably never, too into powerlifting now to get all crazy with dieting and risk losing any strength. I keep trying to start up my cardio but every time I decide to, something goes wrong. Last time I got sick and lost 10lbs in a week, now my foot got screwed up, it's almost like my body doesn't want me to lose any weight now.

I do still want to cut down to 205-210, but I'm probably never going to try to get into the single digit bodyfat area.

fpr
03-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Sounds like a soft tissue issue, most likely the posterior tibialis tendon. Are you able to stand on your toes on that side? Does the arch look like it's more collapsed on the affected side compared to the other? Sounds like you need to see an ortho doc that specializes in the F&A