PDA

View Full Version : Counting protein

vdizenzo
01-27-2011, 08:41 PM
When adding up your protein grams are you supposed to count the grams you get incidentally from things like nuts, whole wheat pasta, etc? They can definitely add up, but I'm not sure if the body assimilates them the same way.

Sean S
01-27-2011, 08:57 PM
My philosophy has always been to get close to my target protein intake for the day knowing that the "incidental" protein will provide me a "buffer". They are mostly incomplete proteins, but I don't see that as a big deal provided most of your protein intake is from more complete sources (eggs, dairy, meats, etc...). For the sake of counting I don't count the incidental protein sources regularly but I do realize it is there.

LanceGoyke
01-27-2011, 09:22 PM
My philosophy has always been to get close to my target protein intake for the day knowing that the "incidental" protein will provide me a "buffer". They are mostly incomplete proteins, but I don't see that as a big deal provided most of your protein intake is from more complete sources (eggs, dairy, meats, etc...). For the sake of counting I don't count the incidental protein sources regularly but I do realize it is there.

I like that idea.

Behemoth
01-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Without question one should count it towards the days calorie intake.

As far as towards the day protein intake - For me, I do count everything towards my days quota. If I have 240g allotted for the day, I don't have a probably with 50g or 60g coming from from my oats, veggies etc. But I also never eat those things apart from a complete and quality source of protein though.