PDA

View Full Version : am i on the proper diet to start weight lifting?

novascotia guy
01-28-2011, 12:05 PM
first post .. if it turns out jumping around a bit im sorry

i am 6'3 and pushin 375 right now (give or take a pound) with a 48-50 pants size i am currenty on a low calorie diet up untill monday(5 days ago) i was intaking approx 5000-6000 calories a day no im around 1200-1300... its some curves weight lost book i found lyeing arounds... what my goals are
1 get to 320-330 lbs
2 bench my own weight
loseing weight is not going to be a issue on the current programe but what i am unsure of is ..
1 would it be a good diet to be on wile lifting weights
2 once i start to lift weights should i change to something diffrently..;food wise?
3 when lifting weights what should you be eating/intaking
4 what type of weight training should a person do inorder to go from benching 130ish right now up to 320+

what exercise i am curreently getting each is ..
walking for about 3-4 hours(start going to a jym when i get to 340-350 lbs)
and working in a diesel shop at a college to pass in order to get my apprentice papers

as for exercise in the shop it includes
1 movie around heavy equment couple hound pounds each
2 parts.. we have cranks /pistions/cams ect that weigh about 200 pounds that i have no problume moving
3 and there is alway tighting stuff to 200-300 foot pounds

Behemoth
01-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Your calories are WAY WAY WAY too low. Try eating 3500-4000 for a few weeks and watch the scale. What you eat doesn't so much matter as far as the weight loss goes. But if you're eating junk you'll never stick to your diet and you'll be far more likely to overeat.

Check out this thread for some good foods to choose from
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46565

And check out this thread for some good weight lifting routines to choose from
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?140530-Recommended-Routines-Technique-Videos-and-Terminology

SCmmaFAN
01-28-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm going to parrot a lot of what Behemoth said. I think eating 1200-1300 is way TOO LOW! You can crash diet like that and lose weight but your body will fight back against you and WIN (not in your eyes though). I think 3500-4000 is good and after some time you will need to tweak your calories lower to continue the weight loss.

tom183
01-28-2011, 03:41 PM
1 would it be a good diet to be on wile lifting weights

No.

2 once i start to lift weights should i change to something diffrently..;food wise?

Lots more of it. At 1300 calories a day you'll be lucky if you even have the energy to lift weights.

4 what type of weight training should a person do inorder to go from benching 130ish right now up to 320+

Any solid beginner routine. Follow the link Behemoth posted.

Mark!
01-28-2011, 03:44 PM
I've done the whole crash diet, and man...it blows hard. Going from a lot of calories, to about 1200 before, after a while absolutely sucks, you'll lose weight for a bit, then your body fights in starvation mode, starts hoarding everything it gets and stops burning. It was explained to me like a furnace, if you're burning coal and you drastically cut the coal supply, the fire gets smaller, stops producing power, but if you keep it at a steady, good amount, the furnace stays nice and hot, keeps burning hot and producing power. And your job, you say you move a lot of stuff around, heavy stuff, and you do a lot of manual type stuff, that low of a calorie defecit is going to start taking a toll, not only on your mind but your body too. I used to think, cutting calories to a minimum was the best way to go, but after getting proper instruction a while back(was just too stupid to apply it fully and long term), I'm now eating around 2500-2800 a day, and losing good amounts of weight. That Curves book...here anything made by Curves is usually for women...which 1200 calories for a woman would make more sense.