PDA

View Full Version : lost strength in bench and gained in squat and dead

Bosshogg300
01-28-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't know how it happened I gained strength in all tricep movements and I gained alot on my squats and deads but I want to remedy it does anyone have any ideas I think I lost strength because I didn't do actual benching and should of thrown more regular benching in

Dan Fanelli
01-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Could be a lot of things. Probably technique related. I have/had that problem as well. I could focus on one lift and make great progress, but then others would drop.... Im a big fan of training the big 3 as frequently as possible.

mchicia1
01-28-2011, 06:42 PM
You lost strength in the bench because you didn't actually bench. Its not just about the strength of the muscles involved. Read the 30 lbs/30 days routine PDF...it talks about this very thing.

BoAnderson71
01-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I've done the same thing. You probably have a weakness off your chest and you spent time working on tricep movements. start benching twice a week.

Brian Hopper
01-28-2011, 08:17 PM
If I take time away from any of the 3 lifts then I will suffer. Even though you were still hitting your triceps, you should still have been benching somewhere in your routine. Is there a reason why you took time off from benching? Was it so you can focus on your squat and deadlift?

Bosshogg300
01-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Well to.be more precise I started my first weatside routine 9 weeks ago and maxes this week and got my new macs. I did speed bench which I think helped but I need to go a lil heavier next time and on ME DAY for bench I used floor presses, inclines, and board presses all with good results but I think I either peaked early around week 6 or 7 and didn't do any regular benching during those 9 weeks

Bosshogg300
01-28-2011, 08:58 PM
I just want to rectify the situation and improve my bench and be ready for my first meet in april

Dan Fanelli
01-29-2011, 12:27 AM
You dont need to do regular bench, you just need exercises similar and that work your weaknesses. As someone above said, your weakness may be off the chest, and you are only working top end on your ME exercises (except incilne).

Also, DE days are used to develop speed, and hypertrophy, but you can also hit the regular bench press pretty heavy on these days. Look at some of the guys Westside logs. They'll often start out light on DE days, and end with some heavier stuff (still much lighter than ME days)

Lastly, maybe some of the other guys can comment on exercise rotation, but I started to progress better on bench when I went with 3 exercises in my ME rotation and switched them up every time I did each one twice.

ScottYard
01-29-2011, 06:17 AM
Dont be sad. Two out of three aint bad. Lol. But honestly this is common. Maybe your tris are over worked?

joey54
01-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Well to.be more precise I started my first weatside routine 9 weeks ago and maxes this week and got my new macs. I did speed bench which I think helped but I need to go a lil heavier next time and on ME DAY for bench I used floor presses, inclines, and board presses all with good results but I think I either peaked early around week 6 or 7 and didn't do any regular benching during those 9 weeks

Non equipped lifter correct? Maybe use more full range of motion exercises for ME and keep the partial movements as the secondary. Still heavy, but a few more reps. Do bb bench with alternating grips like thumbs from the smooth, pinky on the ring, etc. Each one is a different movement and its own pr. Flat bench with bands and chains for ME. OH Press as an ME movement maybe. All just suggestions.

Would not recommend going heavier on DE day, would recommend getting faster.

Eagleclaw026
01-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Not being much of a poster, and not quite sure what your work out routine is exactly. Did you think of using Dumbells for your bench work-out? Personally started using dumbells exclusively for chest workouts 5 weeks ago and had some good results when I grabbed a barbell yesterday because the gym didn't have enough dumbells.

Bosshogg300
01-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Well I might try to go a little bit heavier on DE Bench, also start doing more bands and 1 & 2 boards along with throwing in a regular bench day or inclines again

Bosshogg300
01-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Eagle I would do heavy db presses after boards and switch that with CG bench every 3 weeks

Bosshogg300
01-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Well I should say id do those two after my main ME BENCH day movement

AdamBAG
01-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Non equipped lifter correct? Maybe use more full range of motion exercises for ME and keep the partial movements as the secondary. Still heavy, but a few more reps. Do bb bench with alternating grips like thumbs from the smooth, pinky on the ring, etc. Each one is a different movement and its own pr. Flat bench with bands and chains for ME. OH Press as an ME movement maybe. All just suggestions.

Would not recommend going heavier on DE day, would recommend getting faster.

This is very good advice. I was going to type this very thing.

Use more full range max effort exercises. Such as close grip, illegal wide grip, etc. Add bands or chains to a full range bench etc.

Well I might try to go a little bit heavier on DE Bench, also start doing more bands and 1 & 2 boards along with throwing in a regular bench day or inclines again

Adding weight on the dynamic work is rarely the answer. In fact I can't say I've ever seen it.

Bosshogg300
01-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Yea im defiantly going to do more full range. Do you think 1&2 boards will be just as effective

rinse
01-29-2011, 11:34 AM
2 boards can be effective if your program is sound. But I think you should have more full range movements than partial ones in your program. Change reps also. Like 1-6 reps depending on what exercise you do.

AdamBAG
01-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Yea im defiantly going to do more full range. Do you think 1&2 boards will be just as effective

Boards are not full range. They are partial ROM, no matter how low they are.

Assuming you are raw I would rotate if like this:

Week 1: Full range movement straight weight
Week 2: Partial movement (boards, floor press etc.)
Week 3: Full range movement w/ bands or chains
Week 4: Repeat

Since I bench in a shirt this is what I do:

Week 1: Raw full range
Week 2: Raw partial range
Week 3: Shirt work
Week 4: Repeat

Obviously other people would do this differently, but if you are only doing floor press, boards, and inclines, and your full range bench is going down, then you need to pick different exercises.

Bosshogg300
01-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Ok thanks adam ill do that

BoAnderson71
01-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Just to second what everyone else is saying. About a year ago a I did westside for a little while. I did a lot of partial rom lifts for my bench, and it went nowhere. if somebody just barely helped me at the bottom off my chest I could do 385, but without that little tap at the bottom I could only do 325-335.

chris mason
01-30-2011, 08:03 PM

I would mix in a full ROM bench at least every 4th week. That should take care of matters.