PDA

View Full Version : Other diet ideas

ffkjj
01-31-2011, 08:03 AM
Right now i'm on a revised Keto diet. I started off as full on Keto and lost 16 lbs and almost 6% BF but Im kind of stalling/not following it to a "T". I am still losing roughly .5-1lb a week which isnt terrible but I would like to speed it up.

I'm looking for a diet similar to Keto. My body responds really well to low carb diets and my weights have went up even when on it. But im missing some things I really like. Like milk! I love milk and I feel 100% better after working out when mixing my shake with 20oz of milk. On Keto Im not suppose to do this as it had ALOT of carbs. I love the foods on Keto. hamburger, bacon, eggs ect are awesome foods that I enjoy so its easy for me to stick with. Just a lot of little things that put me over the 30 gram carb limit. Im afraid if I revise to Keto to much it might hurt my weight lose.

So is there something similar to Keto I can do that has good results? Or should I switch diets completely? I have no problems trying a higher carb diet, but I am not sure which direction to go.

thatNUCKOLSkid
01-31-2011, 10:42 AM
first, .5-1 pound a week isn't bad at all. i don't know how lean you are, but weight loss is weight loss, and progress is progress. that being said, if you do better with low carb diets, then maybe you could try a cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD). i personally found that i did better both in terms of weight loss and strength retention on a CKD that a straight keto diet. then, of course, there's carb cycling, which perhaps you could modify to your needs and metabolism. for example, instead of maybe having 0 carbs on low days, 150 or medium days, and 300 on high days (just rough, theoretical numbers), maybe try 75 on medium days and 150 on high days. i'm by no means an expert, but both of those approaches have worked for me, and are perhaps options to consider.

ffkjj
01-31-2011, 10:55 AM
first, .5-1 pound a week isn't bad at all. i don't know how lean you are, but weight loss is weight loss, and progress is progress. that being said, if you do better with low carb diets, then maybe you could try a cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD). i personally found that i did better both in terms of weight loss and strength retention on a CKD that a straight keto diet. then, of course, there's carb cycling, which perhaps you could modify to your needs and metabolism. for example, instead of maybe having 0 carbs on low days, 150 or medium days, and 300 on high days (just rough, theoretical numbers), maybe try 75 on medium days and 150 on high days. i'm by no means an expert, but both of those approaches have worked for me, and are perhaps options to consider.

Im at 19% BF, most of it is gut.

That is kind of what im doing but my weight fluxuates a lot now. I eat around 20-30 (at minimal) to 50-70 (depending on what I eat) on other days. Sometimes on Sunday I will eat 300 but I try not to do that since there normally dirty carbs.

I guess im worried about one day my body is trying to switch into Keto and the next day I kick it out. Is this good? Should I just man up and pick either Keto or just do a lower carb?

Main thing is my Milk, I have gained a lot of streghth/energy just upping my carbs with Milk.

Behemoth
01-31-2011, 11:05 AM
I would keep doing what you're doing. Dieting can get tough and if you switch to something else you'll eventually want to do change it again. Really the best route is to keep it as consistent as you can. The more tweaks, changes or tricks you implore the more difficult it's going to become. If you can lose weight on something simple that is always the best route, provided other things like training, mood, and even quality of life aren't sacrificed unnecessarily.

bradley
01-31-2011, 05:32 PM
You could check out Lyle McDonald's book The Ketogenic Diet for lots of helpful info on ketogenic diets. There is tons of information on refeeding while on a keto diet on the internet, I agree with the other members though. If it is working for you stick with it.

minime_moomey
01-31-2011, 08:17 PM
I dont respond very well to low carb diets, but the anabolic diet was better to me than the rest. Basically keto through the week, then carb up all weekend. Worth looking into...tons of research on it, just google it

ffkjj
02-01-2011, 06:46 AM
I started out with CKD and I did well but it took me 3-4 days to lose the weight I gained from the carb up. So I was going to do it every other week. I don't think it was a bad thing gaining weight but it plays games on your mind.

I think Im going to keep doing what Im doing for a while like others said. Long as my BF% and weight goes down consistently then it must be working.

Basically Im doing a Keto "like" diet. Same foods, just more carbs due to the milk.

RichMcGuire
02-01-2011, 09:48 AM
I started out with CKD and I did well but it took me 3-4 days to lose the weight I gained from the carb up. So I was going to do it every other week. I don't think it was a bad thing gaining weight but it plays games on your mind.

I think Im going to keep doing what Im doing for a while like others said. Long as my BF% and weight goes down consistently then it must be working.

Basically Im doing a Keto "like" diet. Same foods, just more carbs due to the milk.

Yep, all that water/sugar weight you gain back can do it.

I think the best approach is always to do the easiest possible thing you can first. As in, just reducing Calories. When weight loss stops, you can introduce more advanced ideas like TKD's or refeeds, or whatever.

So I'd just keep doing what you're doing until you need to be more strict or implement more advanced dieting principles.

*Edit*

I just saw you said you like milk after your workouts yet love the keto foods. You could always do a TKD(targeted ketogenic diet) where you keep carbs only around training blocks. You could have your milk before and after working out each day and then go back to your "keto foods" for the rest of your meals.

ffkjj
02-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Yep, all that water/sugar weight you gain back can do it.

I think the best approach is always to do the easiest possible thing you can first. As in, just reducing Calories. When weight loss stops, you can introduce more advanced ideas like TKD's or refeeds, or whatever.

So I'd just keep doing what you're doing until you need to be more strict or implement more advanced dieting principles.

*Edit*

I just saw you said you like milk after your workouts yet love the keto foods. You could always do a TKD(targeted ketogenic diet) where you keep carbs only around training blocks. You could have your milk before and after working out each day and then go back to your "keto foods" for the rest of your meals.

I will have to look into TKD more but thinking about it I am kind of doing it. I have a milk/protein shake after working out and that is really it. Yesterday I had a egg sandwich on wheat 2 hours before my football game. But other then that I have virtually no carbs.

Thanks everyone for the help

RichMcGuire
02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
I will have to look into TKD more but thinking about it I am kind of doing it. I have a milk/protein shake after working out and that is really it. Yesterday I had a egg sandwich on wheat 2 hours before my football game. But other then that I have virtually no carbs.

Thanks everyone for the help

Well there ya go. Do the TKD. Simply keep carbohydrates pre and post workouts and cut them out on other days/times. Keep Calories in check. Done.

Goodluck!

ffkjj
02-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Well there ya go. Do the TKD. Simply keep carbohydrates pre and post workouts and cut them out on other days/times. Keep Calories in check. Done.

Goodluck!

Thanks Ill see how that goes for a couple week. 9% to go!