PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Battle of Montreal meet write-up

SELK
01-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Ubh-Ldjnhjk

Meet write up:

squat:

Warmups felt good until 700ish which was one of the scariest squats ive ever done. Its no secret that ive had some issues with the bar rolling down my back in the squat lately, I did think that I had it fixed though.

As I was comming down with it the bar shifted a good 4 inches on my back very quickly and knocked me forward. I stopped it pretty much did a 700lbs good morning with the thing. I moved to 815ish and it feel heavy but alright.

squat 1 - 903lbs 3 whites

felt like complete crap, I unracked it with my feet to far back and almost feel over instantly. I got my handler to call my depth but when I got the UP command I personally didn't feel that I was at depth (and the judging seemed fairly strict which is good) so I dropped it another few inches and took it way deeper then required. It took almost every onch of strength I had in me to squat 903. A few people told me they thought i just lost it in the hole because that was the deepest they have seen me go.

squat 2 - 955lbs 3 reds

"Ill just squat it higher and it will be easier!"
I took this one to a good depth and came up but feel forward. I know falling forward is primarily a technique issue but I really feel my form was very off today in the squat.

squat 3 - pass

bench 1 - 501 - 3 whites Felt ok. The bench master Bill Crawford was at the meet trying to give my horrible ass some better form. I thought that i was following his advice.. but after the rep he said it was one of the worst lifts ever.

bench 2 - 520ish (20lbs pr) - 3 whites. Took a while to touch but felt better. I touched much lower

bench 3 - Al told me to pass it and save it for the DL so I did.

DL 1 - 640ish - 3 whites - felt heavy and almost lost grip.

DL 2 - 711 (5lbs PR) - 3 whites - felt easy

DL3 - 737 - 3 whites (32lbs PR) - felt very medium. It was a grinder but ive grinded much worse.

Overall a decent day.. not what I came for but 2 PRs, a >50lbs PR total while droppin g a weight class is not horrible.

Big thanks to Al, Bill, Ross, Evan, Justin, Travis, Shauna, Steve, and the 50 names I am forgetting!! Montreal Barbell puts on the best meets.

This is my first pro total which has been a goal of mine for a few years. I have a ton of things I need to work on to push my total far beyond where it is at now. Going to start training heavy fairly quick here, this meet has given me some new motivation and I am ready to smash some PRs.

Brian Hopper
01-31-2011, 07:26 PM
Nice work Ryan!!! Now that this meet is done, it's time to get ready for another.

MarcusWild
01-31-2011, 08:12 PM
That squat was deep. The last DL was impressive. You just kept it fighting.

mikesbench
02-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Nice work Selk. You're definitely becoming a monster!

SELK
02-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Nice work Ryan!!! Now that this meet is done, it's time to get ready for another.

Thanks Brian. Next one is the Canadian Pro-Am in may... 2300 @ 220 is the goal.

That squat was deep. The last DL was impressive. You just kept it fighting.

Thanks Marcus. I have always had the ability to grind through deadlifts, to be honest I felt I had 5-10lbs more in me hahaha.. my heavy deads are painfully slow. Really need to get my pull into the 8s.

Nice work Selk. You're definitely becoming a monster!

Thanks Mike! Long ways to go until I reach my goals but things are improving every meet.

back to training today..

ScottYard
02-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Congrats

vdizenzo
02-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Great job on your first pro total. Well done!

SELK
02-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys! Ive got a long way to my goals, but things are moving..

thewookie
02-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Great job Ryan! 2300 at the Pro/Am will be cake!

off topic, but do you know if anyone from your crew got video of Al's squat?