PDA

View Full Version : grassfeed beef

gmen5681
02-01-2011, 06:45 AM
does anyone know a good online store that you can order grassfeed beef? ive found a few but the prices are rediculous. thanks

cutter
02-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Depending on your ability to store meat, it would be far more practical to just buy a side or two direct from any nearby sources. Or you could take up hunting? I give away more than I could ever eat.

Just a thought....

ThomasG
02-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Best I've found is 1lb/6$ shipped. Still expensive.

gmen5681
02-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Depending on your ability to store meat, it would be far more practical to just buy a side or two direct from any nearby sources. Or you could take up hunting? I give away more than I could ever eat.

Just a thought....

you hunt cows? haha. yeah i am looking. there are no farms around here tho. the closest one i can find is abuot 4 hours away that sells meat.

ncsuLuke
02-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Where in NC are you? I could have sworn there was a place around the triangle area that sells grass fed meat.

r2473
02-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Are you asking because of taste.

I grew up on a farm. Most beef is awful. Recently my Costco started selling USDA Prime steaks. These taste as good as I remember growing up. My father flew out to my house last summer and he was surprised that I had found something that tasted as good as the farm......something I have never heard him say before, even after eating at some fancy steak houses.

gmen5681
02-01-2011, 04:24 PM
no not taste for the health benefits, im from jacksonville nc. i keep reading everyone that you should be eating grass feed beef because its much healthier. but its not worth paying 10 dollars a pound for with as much beef as i eat.

dechrist
02-01-2011, 04:28 PM
http://www.eatwild.com

farms by state that offer grass fed/free range stuff. i goto the local farmers market down the road for all my needs. i think its worth coughing up the extra flow for better health and delicious beefness.

r2473
02-01-2011, 04:31 PM
No, it's not worth it just for the health benefits (whatever those might be in the grand scheme of things).

Most of it is crap anyway. Just another way to grab extra money from pretentious, idiotic yuppies. But, they get to brag to their friends about buying it, so it works out for them (I get to listen to crap like this all day).

r2473
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM

farms by state that offer grass fed/free range stuff. i goto the local farmers market down the road for all my needs. i think its worth coughing up the extra flow for better health and delicious beefness.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know this place existed. Prices are as cheap / cheaper than what I pay now. I'm going to check them out:

http://www.utahnaturalmeat.com/pricing

MNparisect
02-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Contact www.rjmeats.com, give them a call in Hudson, WI. Some of the best meats around! I am a worker there, I garuntee you the best price and best product for your dollar. I believe its 3.29 a lb. Don't quote me, but the number for contact is listed on the site. :) My name is Nick if you need a referal to talk to.

Joe Usher
02-02-2011, 10:54 AM
No, it's not worth it just for the health benefits (whatever those might be in the grand scheme of things).

Most of it is crap anyway. Just another way to grab extra money from pretentious, idiotic yuppies. But, they get to brag to their friends about buying it, so it works out for them (I get to listen to crap like this all day).

LOL. Great, truthful post.
After watching Food Inc., I drove to Polyface Farms in the Shenandoah Valley and bought a cooler full of steaks. That stuff was awful and expensive! I do pay a few extra bucks and buy from Whole Foods. Their steaks are amazing! So is their Seafood! Safeways's Rancher's Reserve tastes good too.
I live in a very trendy, progressive city. I agree with you. Sometimes yuppies do things just because it sounds good to say you do them.

ThomasG
02-02-2011, 10:57 AM
I don't personally have the blood work done to back it up but I've heard of people lowering their LDL just by switching to grass fed.

r2473
02-02-2011, 11:11 AM
LOL. Great, truthful post.
After watching Food Inc., I drove to Polyface Farms in the Shenandoah Valley and bought a cooler full of steaks. That stuff was awful and expensive! I do pay a few extra bucks and buy from Whole Foods. Their steaks are amazing! So is their Seafood! Safeways's Rancher's Reserve tastes good too.
I live in a very trendy, progressive city. I agree with you. Sometimes yuppies do things just because it sounds good to say you do them.

You have to shop around. Sometimes the best stuff is found in the most unexpected places.

I've had good and bad luck at Whole Foods, mainly dependent upon if I get there when they put out fresh meat. I've bought old (not aged) stuff from there too. That is the problem I have with some of their stores. They don't turn over product fast enough and it gets old and bad on the shelves but they don't pull it. They just sell it anyway. But, this will vary from store to store, so I'm not trashing on Whole Foods in general. It's a crap shoot like anything else and you just have to be careful.

r2473
02-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Contact www.rjmeats.com, give them a call in Hudson, WI. Some of the best meats around! I am a worker there, I garuntee you the best price and best product for your dollar. I believe its 3.29 a lb. Don't quote me, but the number for contact is listed on the site. :) My name is Nick if you need a referal to talk to.

I'll try to support my local place that I found through dechrist's link above. If that doesn't work out, I will give this a try.

Thanks.

ThomasG
02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know this place existed. Prices are as cheap / cheaper than what I pay now. I'm going to check them out:

http://www.utahnaturalmeat.com/pricing

I think I'm going to give that place a try as well.

MNparisect
02-02-2011, 02:07 PM
I'll try to support my local place that I found through dechrist's link above. If that doesn't work out, I will give this a try.

Thanks.

No problem! Completly Understandable.

Rugby Dad
02-02-2011, 02:39 PM

i used to order from http://www.tallgrassbeef.com/
believe they are out west Minn or Wisconsin. for me the extra price is worth it, i aint got but 1 body.

but that's a good resource to find suppliers by state, at least you can save on shipping.

cutter
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
you hunt cows? haha. yeah i am looking. there are no farms around here tho. the closest one i can find is abuot 4 hours away that sells meat.

Just that one time..... lol! I walked right into that one.

jordynsdaddy
02-14-2011, 12:00 PM

Don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers, but this quote is poorly informed. when you have time, search for how E. Coli and Mow cow disease started... beacuse cows were not made to eat corn.... so we pump them full of anitbiotics and everything else to make them be able to survive off of corn(and the other things they put in their food). I don't dispute that there are some people that brag on the fact they eat grass fed simply to sound like they actually care, but there is plenty of research showing the damage we have done to ourelves and the cows, just so we can grow them fast and sell them cheap. This does not just apply to cows either.(Farm raised fish, Chickens) we feed our live stock whatever is cheap, in abundance, and proven to make them grow as fast as possible. Health and quality are not main concerns to these corporations.

Mercuryblade
02-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers, but this quote is poorly informed. when you have time, search for how E. Coli and Mow cow disease started... beacuse cows were not made to eat corn.... so we pump them full of anitbiotics and everything else to make them be able to survive off of corn(and the other things they put in their food). I don't dispute that there are some people that brag on the fact they eat grass fed simply to sound like they actually care, but there is plenty of research showing the damage we have done to ourelves and the cows, just so we can grow them fast and sell them cheap. This does not just apply to cows either.(Farm raised fish, Chickens) we feed our live stock whatever is cheap, in abundance, and proven to make them grow as fast as possible. Health and quality are not main concerns to these corporations.

Feeding cows corn is not exactly the best thing in the world, but don't go overboard with blaming the corn. A certain strain of e coli that is particularly nasty likes to grow in the extra acidic stomachs of cows fed corn, e coli did not START because cows are fed corn.

Mad cow disease did not start in the U.S. and was not due to corn consumption. The exact cause isn't known, but the disease spreads by coming into contact with a specific type of protein known as a prion. I don't really feel like explaining what prions do but it's pretty interesting.

Keep in mind here I have serious qualms with the agriculture industry, especially the use of antibiotics (not because they get into the food, but because of what we are doing create the growth of antibiotic resistant strains). But that's another subject all together.

f=ma
02-14-2011, 06:19 PM
i like texture of corn fed over grass fed better

however, i did have some grass fed buffalo filets recently and those were awesome.

r2473
02-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers, but this quote is poorly informed. when you have time, search for how E. Coli and Mow cow disease started... beacuse cows were not made to eat corn.... so we pump them full of anitbiotics and everything else to make them be able to survive off of corn(and the other things they put in their food).

I won't get into this, except to say that I grew up on a small family farm in Iowa. It would be pretty strange to find a farmer that didn't feed his cattle corn (especially the "feeders"). The breeding stock did live in a large pasture land and ate mostly grass and some hay in the summer, but in the winter they were fed corn "silage". But of course, we didn't sell or slaughter these anyway.

"Feeder cattle" will always be in feeder lots of some sort. Even on small farms like my family's.

Trust me, I understand a thing or two about farm raised cattle from small farms. More than I really want to know. Likewise, I have probably been around a few more large (industrial) farms than most people.

Thus my disdain for the "urban farmer" that "really knows his beef / pork / etc".