PDA

View Full Version : Am I deadlifting too much?

Eric Cartman
02-01-2011, 01:11 PM
I am working with a trainer, who is having me deadlift a lot in my routine..

We are doing twice a week, 6 sets, 5 reps each...

In Starting Strength, Rippetoe only has 1 or 2 sets of deadlift per week, because its a very demanding exercise..

Do you think I will get injured if I deadlift 12 sets per week, 60 total reps?

SplitQuick
02-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Only if you forget to press your skirt.

Haha jk. I think you'll be fine. I think most people shy away from higher rep deadlifts because it's one of the lifts that after you fatigue, most peoples form goes to absolute dog****. And bad form causes injury. Just keep your form tight and I think you'll be ok.

I've only been DLing once a week but I do almost 80 reps in one session of deads and it's been fine.

Brian Hopper
02-01-2011, 04:44 PM
IMO, yes you are pulling to much. I only deadlift once a week and that's plenty. If you do enough work in one session then you won't need a second day. This is just my 0.2cents.

Travis Bell
02-01-2011, 05:22 PM
How much are you pulling weight wise?

Anything over 500 and I'd say you'r probably over doing it. Under and you are probably going to be OK

Injuries can happen no matter how often you pull. They happen because of poor form. Just make sure you are keeping your technique nice and tight and you should be alright. But if you feel something going wrong in your back, make sure you shut it down.

SELK
02-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Sounds fine if you are progressing, there are russian lifters out there with that kind of deadlift volume.

Brian Hopper
02-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Anything over 500 and I'd say you'r probably over doing it. Under and you are probably going to be OK

Good point.

But I still couldn't do it, one day is fine for me. But I guess if you recover fast enough then it won't be a problem either. I don't recover that fast from deadlifting, so that's why I wouldn't even consider doing it twice a week.

jtteg_x
02-01-2011, 08:55 PM
If the percentage of weight is cutting close to your 1RM, yes.

Bosshogg300
02-02-2011, 08:52 AM
I could never do it more than once a week because it would beat me up to much, and isn't doing more than once a week hard in your CNS system

IronDiggy
02-02-2011, 08:56 AM
What about pulling heavy once a week and then pulling as an accessory after squats(IE Stiff legged or deficit deads)? I generally pull once a week and then twice as an accessory movement after squats. I've been progressing, but being as new to lifting as I am I'm sure I'm gunna make gains either way.

BloodandThunder
02-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Once a week is fine. But adding in a variant for assistance after say your squats on another day shouldn't be overkill (partial DLs, romanians, stiff-leggeds)

Brian Hopper
02-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Once a week is fine. But adding in a variant for assistance after say your squats on another day shouldn't be overkill (partial DLs, romanians, stiff-leggeds)

That's not a bad idea either. I did something like that this week. I deadlifted earlier this week and today I squatted and afterwards did some light SLDL and felt fine.

ironwill727
02-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Depends on the rest of your routine and your strength level. Is that 6 working sets or are you pyramiding up to one hard set? I think you can DL twice a week if you vary the intensity and use different variations.

vdizenzo
02-02-2011, 05:08 PM
The Sheiko program does not even have the lifter perform deadlifts more than once a week. Like many said, if you are going to do it at all, the other day needs to be pretty light.

NickAus
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I have done well pulling twice per week heavy, that is sumo not con.....I recover from sumo very well.

Con is harder to recover from IMO and once a week is plenty.

SELK
02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
I got my pull from 551 to 661 by training the pull heavy 2x per week conventional. I am not really build to pull, but this helped me develop a ton of low back strength.

NickAus
02-02-2011, 06:01 PM
You do recover well from conventional Ryan as you have said.........I would burn out im sure........sumo I bet I could pull 3 times per week if I cut back on assistance work.

Eric Cartman
02-04-2011, 03:28 PM
I am a beginning deadlifter, so its not a heavy weight,.. something under 200 lbs..

On the other days, I am squatting...

Not trying for strength at the moment, mostly hypertrophy..

My lower back has been pretty sore and tired, so maybe I'm over-doing it so far..

Tim K
02-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Under 200 lbs - shouldn't be a problem. What is your 1 RM?

elilliebridge
02-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Sounds like a little too much... when I first started training, my dad taught me to pull only once a week and that the weights didn't matter until I got my form down... so before you even start thinking about lifting a lot of weight, form needs to come first. I never liked pulling reps, but i wouldn't do anything more than probably a triple for now with deadstop reps... but that's just my opinion, not everything will work the same for everyone.