PDA

View Full Version : when to cut and when to bulk?

kwwilson
02-01-2011, 09:25 PM
I am 5 10 and 250 I am wondering when I should start to mass and the right way to do it, or should I keep cutting and take the loss on the muscle I do have.

Behemoth
02-01-2011, 09:35 PM
If you're doing it right you shouldn't be losing much [if any] muscle at 250 unless you're already sub 10%

kwwilson
02-01-2011, 09:50 PM
My body fat is around 28% alot I know but i hear you can use it to build muscle mass. do you also get more definition as you get more muscle or do you HAVE to cut?

Allen Cress
02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
My body fat is around 28% alot I know but i hear you can use it to build muscle mass. do you also get more definition as you get more muscle or do you HAVE to cut?

It depends on how much muscle you are currently carrying and also how you carry it. At 250lbs and with high BF you would be better off leaning up some. A pic would help.

You won't see more muscle definition at a high BF even if you put on more muscle. There comes a point where putting on scale weight is not a good thing and the weight just isn't functional. Don't get caught up in just trying to gain more scale weight because its only a number and can't tell you if its water, fat, or muscle .

kwwilson
02-02-2011, 01:40 AM
when i had a MRI they said my muscle tissue was very very lean for the amount of weight i was carrying so what ever that means i don't know. I at one time 15+ years ago i was at 10% and placed 8th in a amateur contest my measurements were chest 56 bicep 20 waist 32 thigh 36 calf 22 lost all pics in house fire. here is a current one

Behemoth
02-02-2011, 09:32 AM
I would choose a nice slow cut if I were in your shoes.

4g64fiero
02-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Your not that fat IMO so I would say take it slow man. You either naturally have quite a bit of muscle or worked hard for what you have. 28% @ 250lbs is still ~190lbs LBM. Thats quite a bit.

After a half year cut you would look like a beast.

kwwilson
02-02-2011, 04:54 PM
thanks for the advice, do you have a good diet plan i could experiment with, and what kind of supplements would benefit me the most in the cut. I use n.o.explode, active man multivitamin and that's all. I want to do the Texas shredder in Austin in 2012.

kwwilson
02-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Also, what kind of calories should I be ingesting. I know they are a lot of redundant and over asked questions but I read the links and make little sense of most.

Codeguru
02-03-2011, 03:34 AM
Also, what kind of calories should I be ingesting. I know they are a lot of redundant and over asked questions but I read the links and make little sense of most.

You'd have to find that out for yourself by counting and watching your fat. But I've seen people here say to eat towards your goal weight, so that's what I'm doing. I counted and found my fat loss amount and now I'm slowly adding more to my daily diet to bulk up to my "goal weight". Not that I have one really, just trying to get consistent strength gains...

Codeguru

Behemoth
02-03-2011, 05:52 AM
thanks for the advice, do you have a good diet plan i could experiment with, and what kind of supplements would benefit me the most in the cut. I use n.o.explode, active man multivitamin and that's all. I want to do the Texas shredder in Austin in 2012.

I gave a brief rundown on how to setup a basic, simple diet in this thread (post #12)

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?141512-Question-for-Diet-Experts-only