PDA

View Full Version : setting up my new routine

Bosshogg300
02-02-2011, 12:15 PM
i took everyones advice given to me to help with my bench and appiled it into my new routine, please let me know how it looks and if there is anything i need to do to fix it and ill post the rest of my split later but heres my ME bench day workout.

ME BENCH DAY
ME BENCH w/bands, 6sets 1-5reps @ 85-90 % of 1rm (switching every week between Full range and partial range movements) they will consist for full range- (Bench w/bands , inclines, & regular bench every four weeks) for partial range- (Boards 1-3, BB floor presses or DB floor presses)
Supplementary movement, Pin presses low or close grips 4sets 5reps
Dips, 3sets x 10reps
Barbell Skulls, 3 sets 5Reps
Standing military, push presses, over head pin press -3sets 5reps
Pec deck, or DB flys 3sets 10 reps

Dan Fanelli
02-02-2011, 01:02 PM
i took everyones advice given to me to help with my bench and appiled it into my new routine, please let me know how it looks and if there is anything i need to do to fix it and ill post the rest of my split later but heres my ME bench day workout.

ME BENCH DAY
ME BENCH w/bands, 6sets 1-5reps @ 85-90 % of 1rm (switching every week between Full range and partial range movements) they will consist for full range- (Bench w/bands , inclines, & regular bench every four weeks) for partial range- (Boards 1-3, BB floor presses or DB floor presses)
Supplementary movement, Pin presses low or close grips 4sets 5reps
Dips, 3sets x 10reps
Barbell Skulls, 3 sets 5Reps
Standing military, push presses, over head pin press -3sets 5reps
Pec deck, or DB flys 3sets 10 reps

The bold are the things that stand out to me.....

6 sets of 1-5 reps @ 85-90% is NOT Max Effort

The Standing military, push press......... This may be too heavy, considering you should have an ME lift, then your supplemental heavy lift, and then your skulls are heavy as well. Maybe switch this out for 3-4 x 8-12.

But all in all, it doesn't look much like Westside. Its supposed to be a ME day, but you have too much stuff in the 80-90% range, and nothing in the 90-100+% range.

Also no pulling???

And others that are more experienced can chime in on this, but I have found that its best not too worry too much about the accessory moves. I put most of my effort into working the ME move HARD. I then just pick a few accessory moves and work them up to some decently heavy weights. But I often change these moves every workout or every two workouts.

I suggest you just look at some of the guys' logs on the site that train Westside and do very similar to what they are doing.

Bosshogg300
02-02-2011, 01:16 PM
i do not do any rows on my bench days i do them on my back days works better for me ,also i do 1-3 reps for my max effort movement my mistake i didnt mean to label 1-5 reps and i do have a ME movement for bench and a supplemental lift both i listed also from what i gathered from dave tate articles for shoulder movements you have a high intensity and low intensity day just like triceps, i have put my high intensity day on ME bench day and low intensity on my DE bench day and i put higher reps for chest exercises just to build up my chest, and i do weighted dips for high reps and non weighted dips for high reps it has always been more effective for me than doing low reps for dips which to me seems pointless

Bosshogg300
02-02-2011, 01:24 PM
i misred about the max and supp lifts trying to post from cell, but yea i think i will change the reps and sets from skulls to 5 sets and 8reps.

Dan Fanelli
02-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Just so you realize though that "max effort" stuff means MAX. It doesn't have to be an all time max, but it should be a daily max. It is NOT 85-90%, regardless of the rep range.

AdamBAG
02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
I feel like you do not understand how the conjugate method is used and implemented. This article will answer everything you need to know about your max effort and dynamic effort days:

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/efs-classic-the-eight-keys-a-complete-guide-to-maximal-strength-development/