PDA

View Full Version : Totally new to weight lifting

Elim
02-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Hey guys, I have a question about how many calories/carbs/protein I need. I recently lost 130lb and am having trouble finding a healthy diet to get my weight back up so I don't look so stinking skinny.

I'm 22 years old, 6 ft, 163lb, 9.1% Body fat.

Figured out I should eat 14cal/pound, comes out to 2282, but I've set it at 2600 for now. 225g carbs/215g protein, 5 meals a day.

I plan to weight lift 4/7 days at one of my local gyms. For the 3 days off, do I still eat like I would on the 4 days on?

I am deathly afraid of gaining body fat, but I have read that is unavoidable. How many cals per pound of weight should I eat when I eventually need to go on a cutting cycle?

Thanks, Eli

RichMcGuire
02-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Hey guys, I have a question about how many calories/carbs/protein I need. I recently lost 130lb and am having trouble finding a healthy diet to get my weight back up so I don't look so stinking skinny.

Figured out I should eat 14cal/pound, comes out to 2282, but I've set it at 2600 for now. 225g carbs/215g protein, 5 meals a day.

I plan to weight lift 4/7 days at one of my local gyms. For the 3 days off, do I still eat like I would on the 4 days on?

I am deathly afraid of gaining body fat, but I have read that is unavoidable. How many cals per pound of weight should I eat when I eventually need to go on a cutting cycle?

Thanks, Eli

14Cal/lb weight is pretty damn low. In general, you will want to get at least 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Some will advise 1g per lb of your target weight. Besides that, I'd say eat enough to gain 1-2 lbs per week. Monitor your Calories up or down depending on how fast you are gaining. More if you aren't gaining weight, less if you're gaining too much fat.

Don't be deathly afraid of bodyfat. Losing your gut is much easier than putting muscle on..and you already know how to lose fat. So worry about it later.

However, if you really want to be anal about it all... monitor your Calories.

If you arent gaining a slight amount of fat, up your Calories by 100-200. If you notice a very slight amount of fat gain, then keep your Calories here until you stop gaining weight. Then add another 100-200. This is probably the best way to optimize LBM gains while keeping fat gains low. The con to it, of course, is you're monitoring Calories to a precise amount and that is a huge pain in the ass. You would then repeat this until you hit a certain % of bf you were comfortable with. Maybe 14-15%. Then you'd go back to a cutting approach.

I've done it that way.. but the biggest challenge for me was calculating Calories for home cooked meals. I generally had to approximate.

The other method is to just eye ball it in the mirror. Just eat a lot of food, add some milk, whatever way you want. If you are obviously gaining more fat than you are comfortable with, eat less, drink less milk etc. Hit a target weight you had in mind, and then go back to losing fat or whatever.

The ways to do it are endless. It will come down to how committed you are to details.

Elim
02-03-2011, 09:12 PM
14Cal/lb weight is pretty damn low. In general, you will want to get at least 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Some will advise 1g per lb of your target weight. Besides that, I'd say eat enough to gain 1-2 lbs per week. Monitor your Calories up or down depending on how fast you are gaining. More if you aren't gaining weight, less if you're gaining too much fat.

Don't be deathly afraid of bodyfat. Losing your gut is much easier than putting muscle on..and you already know how to lose fat. So worry about it later.

However, if you really want to be anal about it all... monitor your Calories.

If you arent gaining a slight amount of fat, up your Calories by 100-200. If you notice a very slight amount of fat gain, then keep your Calories here until you stop gaining weight. Then add another 100-200. This is probably the best way to optimize LBM gains while keeping fat gains low. The con to it, of course, is you're monitoring Calories to a precise amount and that is a huge pain in the ass. You would then repeat this until you hit a certain % of bf you were comfortable with. Maybe 14-15%. Then you'd go back to a cutting approach.

I've done it that way.. but the biggest challenge for me was calculating Calories for home cooked meals. I generally had to approximate.

The other method is to just eye ball it in the mirror. Just eat a lot of food, add some milk, whatever way you want. If you are obviously gaining more fat than you are comfortable with, eat less, drink less milk etc. Hit a target weight you had in mind, and then go back to losing fat or whatever.

The ways to do it are endless. It will come down to how committed you are to details.

Alright, I think I may just monitor it. As for 14/cal body weight, what would you recommend? And is that multiplied by my lean body weight or my full 163 pounds?

Thanks for the reply,

Eli

RichMcGuire
02-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Alright, I think I may just monitor it. As for 14/cal body weight, what would you recommend? And is that multiplied by my lean body weight or my full 163 pounds?

Thanks for the reply,

Eli

No one can really give you a good number since it varies so much. The very best thing you can do it try the amount of Calories you are going to try. There are many calculations out there. You could just x your bw by 15 and add 500. So, you'd be aiming for at least 2,900 Calories. See if you gain weight after a week. If you don't, add 500 some Calories to it or just eat a little more. You could also just add half a gallon of milk to your normal diet. Most people seem to respond well with that. It just all depends.

The calculations are typically based on your actual weight, and not your LBM. Fat requires energy to sustain just like muscle does.

Behemoth
02-03-2011, 09:40 PM

Thanks, Eli

I think this is an excellent starting ground. It's going to depend on what you're coming off of as far as how you react to this. Meaning if you were on a severe diet eating 10calories per pound you're probably going to put on quite a few pounds of just water and glycogen in the first couple weeks. But if you've already been eating pretty close to this then just eat it for a few more weeks monitoring your weight daily first thing AM (post bathroom use, pre eating or drinking) and see how it reacts. If you're gaining about 1 pound a week you're probably pretty safe from excessive bodyfat.

Elim
02-03-2011, 09:50 PM
No one can really give you a good number since it varies so much. The very best thing you can do it try the amount of Calories you are going to try. There are many calculations out there. You could just x your bw by 15 and add 500. So, you'd be aiming for at least 2,900 Calories. See if you gain weight after a week. If you don't, add 500 some Calories to it or just eat a little more. You could also just add half a gallon of milk to your normal diet. Most people seem to respond well with that. It just all depends.

The calculations are typically based on your actual weight, and not your LBM. Fat requires energy to sustain just like muscle does.

Very good info, thank you very much.

Eli

Elim
02-03-2011, 09:58 PM
I think this is an excellent starting ground. It's going to depend on what you're coming off of as far as how you react to this. Meaning if you were on a severe diet eating 10calories per pound you're probably going to put on quite a few pounds of just water and glycogen in the first couple weeks. But if you've already been eating pretty close to this then just eat it for a few more weeks monitoring your weight daily first thing AM (post bathroom use, pre eating or drinking) and see how it reacts. If you're gaining about 1 pound a week you're probably pretty safe from excessive bodyfat.

Well I hate to say it but I have been eating about 1400 calories/day since March of last year and running off 400 calories every other day(Not religiously but close) and also weight lifting with 0 success. I monitor fat, carbs and calories like a hawk. This is what was worrying me. So I can expect to gain a bit more fat I am assuming. I started today lifting and eating 550/45g carbs/43g protein a meal (5 meals). By lunch it felt like my stomach was gonna burst. On the upside I had 100% more energy.

Thanks for the info

Eli

RichMcGuire
02-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Well I hate to say it but I have been eating about 1400 calories/day since March of last year and running off 400 calories every other day(Not religiously but close) and also weight lifting with 0 success. I monitor fat, carbs and calories like a hawk. This is what was worrying me. So I can expect to gain a bit more fat I am assuming. I started today lifting and eating 550/45g carbs/43g protein a meal (5 meals). By lunch it felt like my stomach was gonna burst. On the upside I had 100% more energy.

Thanks for the info

Eli

Sounds almost like a crash diet approach. Start off slowly when you increase Calories to limit fat gains. Likely, your metabolism has adjusted downward as a safety mechanism.

Behemoth
02-03-2011, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the info

Eli

Wow. Yeah take it slow.

If I can tell you one thing it is this, do not freak out if at some point in time you put on a few pounds quicker than you had hoped. Obviously regaining weight that one has lost is very common and nobody wants to do it. But so much of this is a mental battle. You have to realize you've put yourself through some extreme rigors and really beat the hell out of your body. Always remember the the original weigh you came from. Everybody has a few slips here and there. Everybody slips on their diet and puts a little weight back on only to keep on going. But the much more dangerous time is once the diet is concluded. If one slips and they don't plan on going back to dieting the next day it can quickly spiral out of control all the way back to their original weight or beyond. Remember that it's just one day and don't fret when you make a little mistake. You're still miles ahead of where you were a year ago and even if you settle in with just a couple of extra pounds of bodyfat, you're still indefinitely leaner and in great position to keep gaining some lean mass with some gradual bodyfat increases before it's time to do a little diet again.