PDA

View Full Version : overkill benchshirts

hodgman
02-04-2011, 03:47 PM
what are the pluses and minuses of overkill benchshirts? thinking of buying one, but need some input on if they are worth the trouble.

NickAus
02-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Get a 2 ply and not too tight, he makes em tight.

They are great shirts!

Bear Underwood
02-04-2011, 06:14 PM
They are worth every penny. I have a shirt, briefs and squat suit and love all the gear. Rudy is great to work with.

bencher8
02-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Ronnie, the shirts are great man. One of the big pluses is that they are very custom made for every lifters. Rudy takes a lot of measurements and every shirt is custom made for every lifter. No off the rack stuff. Another plus is the equipment is cut by computer. The product numbers are filed and if you order another shirt down the road you can give the product number and the exact cut will be made again.

Trust me. You will like the shirts. Not as stretchy as those SDPs you are usin. But great pop

theBarzeen
02-05-2011, 07:39 AM
I've got both the stock 2-ply ( which I've been using since spring 2009) and a new Laminate version.

The laminate one MIGHT be good after I get it broken in enough to be able to jack the shirt..... but it's not anywhere near that yet.

I'm still hitting PR's in my old, stock 2-ply. That shirt has taken me from a 585 3rd attempt at 2009 AWPC worlds to my current PR's of 725 to the chest and 805 to a 2-board. I will be competing in the stock 2-ply this year and waiting for the summer or fall to work the laminate one some more.

It takes 6-8 weeks of working the shirt every week to get it to break in. You have to work the shirts full range a little more than with other shirts. My crew has never had problems touching weights in them because we are touching weights to the chest once a month all year long.... lots of people just try to work a lot of boards then wonder why they can't touch anything.... but as long as you stay proficient in working the groove of the shirt so you know that you can touch, it's all good.

My shirt is from spring 2009, and it still has a lot of pop and follow through. Rudy did have to let it out 1/2" in the sleeves because I've put on a few pounds ( or 20) but the shirt has never blown out or given me any problems...... except for the time I over-inflated a basketball in a sleeve and it exploded..... even then Rudy was cool about fixing it.

The guy making them is a good lifter himself, he still lifts in all his own equipment, and is really cool about talking to people. He'll help you pick out a shirt that will work best for you, explain how to break it in, and be there to talk to you when ever you need help with it..... the only other person in the industry who comes close to that sort of customer support is Ken Anderson.

With that said, I'm using Overkill 3-ply briefs, a 3-ply hybrid suit, and a 2-ply shirt this year...... a few guys on my team are in the new laminate and doing well with it, but I'm going to hold off on recommending that until I've had more time in it.

hodgman
02-05-2011, 03:53 PM
thanks for the input !

Travis Bell
02-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Great shirts that will last a good amount of time.

I'll admit, I struggled to learn my new one, but I've got it figured out now and look forward to hitting a big bench in the near future.

In addition, Rudy is an all around solid guy who is very easy to work with and will always contact you very promptly. Customer service is such a big key when dealing with equipment

ct67_72
02-06-2011, 01:44 PM
as some others have said the customer service is excellent, and being a lifter himself he understands what you need.
The biggest bonus in my opinion in getting one is that it is made for you. A lot of people say that all you need is a stock off teh shelf shirt, but for the same price or less then most others, you get a custom piece of gear. I dont see how you can go wrong.