PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Diet!

nicecrew
02-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Well, I do a pretty good amount of lifting and training and had a quick question.
What are some good lifting foods to add to my diet?
These are the items i have:
Clif Protein Bar: Peanut Butter
Whey Protein: Vanilla, Chocolate shakes
Nuts
Meats
Supreme Protein Bars
Fruits (prob dont get enough of these)
Veggies (prob dont get enough of these)
I also try to stay away from any type of food with sugars.

I am really craving a bit more variety. Also, some breakfast food that is appropriate for lifting. As well as lunch items.

Thanks nicecrew

Behemoth
02-04-2011, 04:03 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46565

nicecrew
02-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the link. I am real sorry I didn't see it. I should know better to check stickies. I have been on forums many times and understand how it feels when people post questions about things on stickies.
Sorry
nicecrew

Behemoth
02-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the link. I am real sorry I didn't see it. I should know better to check stickies. I have been on forums many times and understand how it feels when people post questions about things on stickies.
Sorry
nicecrew

Don't sweat it. Welcome to WBB

nicecrew
02-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Ok thanks. The list was great help too. I ate some stuff that was on the list for dinner. (fajitas)
I checked out AtLargeNutrition too. How are the energy bars? And how exactly do you use the Branched Chain Amino Acids? Is it a protein shake drink that takes milk, water, or a liquid. Or is it something you mix in with your food?
Thanks nicecrew

Dan Fanelli
02-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Make sure to take the Cliff bars in moderation. They have sugar and Soy protein in them.

nicecrew
02-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Yes, I did see that sugars are bad for weight lifting. I saw the novus bars... only one gram of sugar for 32g of protein! I have to find these at a local market! They good?
Should i eat SUPREME PROTEIN BARS IN MODERATION TOO? They have a good deal of sugar. But, i cant find any bars with little sugar at my markets except for novus.
Thanks nicecrew

Also, should i stick to drinking water only? I like these organic teas i have, but they have 10g of sugar which is a good deal of sugar and are not very beneficial.
Thanks again... really great help.

Off Road
02-04-2011, 08:39 PM
I saw the novus bars... only one gram of sugar for 32g of protein! I have to find these at a local market! .
You won't find them in super markets, only on the ALN web site.

Behemoth
02-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Yes, I did see that sugars are bad for weight lifting. I saw the novus bars... only one gram of sugar for 32g of protein! I have to find these at a local market! They good?
Should i eat SUPREME PROTEIN BARS IN MODERATION TOO? They have a good deal of sugar. But, i cant find any bars with little sugar at my markets except for novus.
Thanks nicecrew

Also, should i stick to drinking water only? I like these organic teas i have, but they have 10g of sugar which is a good deal of sugar and are not very beneficial.
Thanks again... really great help.

Novus bars are great. BCAA+ is very good at preventing muscle breakdown during a workout. But I would first look into supplementing with a high quality protein like Nitrean before considering BCAA+ And yes, like offroad said -- none of these can be found in a supermarket. Only on the atlarge website which helps fund these very forums.

nicecrew
02-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Looked at the sticky, found a lot of great foods. But, what is there for lunch/dinner? Im looking for food that provides energy and builds muscle. Stuff that may be around the house.
Thanks
nicecrew

Behemoth
02-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Looked at the sticky, found a lot of great foods. But, what is there for lunch/dinner? Im looking for food that provides energy and builds muscle. Stuff that may be around the house.
Thanks
nicecrew

It doesn't matter when it is. I'll eat chicken and rice for breakfast and eggs and oatmeal for dinner at times.

Off Road
02-05-2011, 11:44 AM
It doesn't matter when it is. I'll eat chicken and rice for breakfast and eggs and oatmeal for dinner at times.

Breakfast for dinner is awesome! I will sometimes make a "scramble" with sausage, bacon, diced potatos, onions, bell peppers, and three eggs. Yummy.

nicecrew
02-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks Guys, Good stuff.
nicecrew

nicecrew
02-06-2011, 11:13 AM
One question that came up.
I need 102 grams of protein a day. Should i keep track of how many grams i am getting?
Thanks nicecrew

f=ma
02-06-2011, 11:17 AM
the range on my truck at its current fuel level is 20 miles. I need to drive 50 miles. should i get gas?

nicecrew
02-06-2011, 11:52 AM
I see what you mean.
nicecrew

nicecrew
02-07-2011, 05:08 AM
One more problem...
What should i bring for lunch to school? I dont have time to make chicken and it will spoil if it put in a lunch bag.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks guys

paleopower
02-07-2011, 06:24 AM
One more problem...
What should i bring for lunch to school? I dont have time to make chicken and it will spoil if it put in a lunch bag.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks guys

Get a cooler!!!!!!!

nicecrew
02-07-2011, 02:56 PM
I dont really have the time or money to make chicken every day. (I cant fit a cooler in my locker either)
Anything that I can just grab n go thats ready to eat that i can put in my lunch thanks.

And one side question, is pasta and meatballs ok to eat if i wanna build muscle?
How many carbs should i eat a day?
Thanks
nicecrew

bradley
02-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Just find something that has a good protein content. Cook extra meat at dinner time or maybe a protein shake, protein bar, etc. Even lunch meat would work but I would consider that less than optimal. Buy milk at school maybe?

f=ma
02-07-2011, 06:00 PM
i cook chicken at 6am. it sits in tupperwear on my desk until like 1pm and then i eat it for about 2-3 hours. it is just fine without refrigeration or microwaving it.. a little gross but just fine

paleopower
02-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I say loose all the bars and get some real food

If it can run, fly, or swim from ya eat it,,,

If it grew in the ground, on a tree, or vine eat it.......

Real food does not have a label or nutritional info

nicecrew
02-10-2011, 02:35 PM
I will cut back on the bars. And only eat them when i am in a real hurry.
But, how many grams or how much sugar is a lifter allowed to have a day? I know your supposed to stay away from them, but the food i eat all day has 5 grams or less sugars. Can i maybe sometimes treat myself to a honey stinger protein bar, made from pure honey, 10 grams of protein, and 22 vitamins and minerals?
Thanks nicecrew
I looked for this question on the forums and suprisingly it had never been covered.

GazzyG
02-10-2011, 02:50 PM
But, how many grams or how much sugar is a lifter allowed to have a day? I know your supposed to stay away from them, but the food i eat all day has 5 grams or less sugars. Can i maybe sometimes treat myself to a honey stinger protein bar, made from pure honey, 10 grams of protein, and 22 vitamins and minerals?
Thanks nicecrew
I looked for this question on the forums and suprisingly it had never been covered.

I'm sitting here eating a full tub of Haagen-Dasz Cookie Dough Ice Cream.

Unless you're hardcore, don't sweat the details. :)

Mercuryblade
02-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks nicecrew

Unless you are cutting don't worry about sugar.
It's fine, in fact, some of us use glucose as an energy source when we are working out ;)

nicecrew
02-10-2011, 03:23 PM
One question, besides a well balanced diet and giving it more time. How can i get a body that looks more like yours, my journal pic compared to your prof pic, there is a big difference.
If I am 14 will i not be able to build muscle as easily if i was 18-27?
Thanks
nicecrew

bradley
02-10-2011, 03:56 PM
But, how many grams or how much sugar is a lifter allowed to have a day? I know your supposed to stay away from them, but the food i eat all day has 5 grams or less sugars. Can i maybe sometimes treat myself to a honey stinger protein bar, made from pure honey, 10 grams of protein, and 22 vitamins and minerals?.

Like the other members stated, sugar is not that big of an issue unless you are dieting to a low bodyfat percentage. Focus more on getting adequate amounts of protein, essential fats, and enough calories to promote growth. In other words makes sure you are taking in more calories than you are burning throughout the day. If you are not gaining a little each week then you are not eating enough.

Kiff
02-17-2011, 03:50 AM
88K5qw4uPhE

Breakfast for dinner is awesome! I will sometimes make a "scramble" with sausage, bacon, diced potatos, onions, bell peppers, and three eggs. Yummy.

Off Road
02-17-2011, 07:15 AM
That's awesome Kiff!

Off Road
02-17-2011, 07:22 AM
To the OP...

Just lift, eat, and rest. If you aren't gaining, add more of those three. Everything else is just being OCD, and there is no surer way of making NO progress than being OCD about every little detail.

Not everybody is cut out to be good at weightlifting or bodybuilding. If you are too inconvenienced to prepare food, perhaps this isn't the hobby / sport for you. Look at guys like Behemoth and F=ma, they don't make excuses, they just get it done.

Kiff
02-17-2011, 07:28 AM
To the OP...

Just lift, eat, and rest. If you aren't gaining, add more of those three. Everything else is just being OCD, and there is no surer way of making NO progress than being OCD about every little detail.

Not everybody is cut out to be good at weightlifting or bodybuilding. If you are too inconvenienced to prepare food, perhaps this isn't the hobby / sport for you. Look at guys like Behemoth and F=ma, they don't make excuses, they just get it done.

One way to answer the above point is ask yourself, what did you do last sunday night. Did you sit infront of the tv?

Or did you spend 3 hours cooking your food for the week?

GazzyG
02-17-2011, 09:29 AM
One way to answer the above point is ask yourself, what did you do last sunday night. Did you sit infront of the tv?

Or did you spend 3 hours cooking your food for the week?

Aaargh! I sat down and watched telly!

Oh wait - I'm a student, so I have all the time in the world to cook my food in the week.

:evillaugh:

Hugol
02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46565

I read on Alke file that he recommends green tea extract pills...and I just went to wal mart page and they have several brands...so does it matter what brand they are? Any brand you guys recommend?

Behemoth
02-17-2011, 02:43 PM
I read on Alke file that he recommends green tea extract pills...and I just went to wal mart page and they have several brands...so does it matter what brand they are? Any brand you guys recommend?

Just make sure you understand the label, they're often very misleading. It'll say "green tea extract" xxx-mg. Then below it will tell what percent its standardized to contai. So one that advertises "315mg per two capsules" then on the back notes that's standardized @ 15% is actually less GT than the one that says "150mg per each capsule @ 50%".

Those are actually numbers off two different selections that walmarts near me carry. I buy the first because it also contains hoodia which noticeably helps lower my appetite. The second one is 3x as much green tea per cap though.

Hugol
02-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Just make sure you understand the label, they're often very misleading. It'll say "green tea extract" xxx-mg. Then below it will tell what percent its standardized to contai. So one that advertises "315mg per two capsules" then on the back notes that's standardized @ 15% is actually less GT than the one that says "150mg per each capsule @ 50%".

Those are actually numbers off two different selections that walmarts near me carry. I buy the first because it also contains hoodia which noticeably helps lower my appetite. The second one is 3x as much green tea per cap though.

Is it this one?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Green-Tea-Fat-Burner-Dietary-Supplement-90-Ct/10449752