PDA

View Full Version : looking to add hooks for band tension on deadlift platform

stlpower123
02-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Looking to ask the owner of my gym if I can add band attachments to the deadlift platform. I have some shortbands that can be looped under a power rack but its not the same, its awkward. I wanna do it the way most people do, with long bands doubled up over the part of the collar with the bearings that is right inside of the plates so the bar can rotate with the bands. Wondering what kind of hardware to use for the hooks and how far apart to make the hooks (i the direction the band stretches, the other way i will just measure the barbell to determine). Looking for something permanent, not makeshift by using dumbells or whatever other method.

gmen5681
02-05-2011, 10:49 AM
your best bet is to just go to home depot or lowes or whatever hardware store you have in the area and just look in the hardware section. find like maybe an anchor shackle or something to the likes of that. you should be able to ghetto rig some parts to make something pretty decent.

theBarzeen
02-05-2011, 02:42 PM
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Brophy/LRB1.html?feed=pn

we use these.

But we have them narrow enough to fit inside the collars, not over the part of the bar you load plates on to..... the stretch of the bands doesn't throw me off at all, bt we're all different, you could do these however you want....... get some spax screws to anchor them, they dig in to anything.

gmen5681
02-05-2011, 02:45 PM
any ideas to make these portable? something i can just take and throw in my gym bag and then when its time to DL i can put them on the platform? they would never go for putting those on the platform.

stlpower123
02-05-2011, 06:39 PM
thanks those look good. I didn't want anything with hooks that could be dangerous because then they might not want them on there, but those look perfect because they look like they don't stick straight up when not in use

theBarzeen
02-06-2011, 03:30 PM
any ideas to make these portable? something i can just take and throw in my gym bag and then when its time to DL i can put them on the platform? they would never go for putting those on the platform.

big, heavy dumbbells?

A power rack?

Find some fat kids to stand on them?

SELK
02-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Why don't you just stand on the band? Ive found that to work pretty much just as good. Drape the band over the bar and stand on each end. I estimate a green/average band gives about 180-200lbs of tension at the top. I pulled 530ish + a green band then got 737 in a contest 3 weeks later.

mikesbench
02-07-2011, 06:17 AM
A buddy of mine set this up using door handle (like the long vertical commercial door kind). Just screwed them to the platform with long lags (or the Spax screws Barzeen mentioned are great). Then you just choke a band around one handle and use an opening chin link to secure to the other.

stlpower123
02-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Why don't you just stand on the band? Ive found that to work pretty much just as good. Drape the band over the bar and stand on each end. I estimate a green/average band gives about 180-200lbs of tension at the top. I pulled 530ish + a green band then got 737 in a contest 3 weeks later.

i want to but i tend to jump around like a psycho before i deadlift