PDA

View Full Version : DE bench critique

gmen5681
02-06-2011, 09:30 AM
i posted this in the pic and video section, but was wondering if you guys would take a look at this and critique it.

i know next time i need to set the chains up differently so there is more deloaded at the bottom. that isnt something i noticed until afterwards when i was watching the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_afkPkTbI

i notice too that sometimes i have leg drive and other times i dont.

kingns
02-06-2011, 03:05 PM
I think it looks pretty good. Its not a great angle but you can tell the bar isn't under as much control as I would recommend. And, even though I know most people would disagree, I prefer to pause at the top and at the bottom on at least some of the reps. When i did it like you are i found it didn't transfer to a one rep, and the form on rep two or three weren't the same as the first.
I liked to think of it as 3 individual reps, rather than a "triple".
Looks good though.

Brian C
02-06-2011, 03:10 PM
I think you should take off some weight. Its about speed not weight. It should be fast. Thats not exactly fast. Just an opinion

theBarzeen
02-06-2011, 03:23 PM
It's hard to tell where the floor is relative to he chains..... but that didn't seem far off where I'd set everything up.

As for general bench stuff you looked pretty loose with both your set up and your press.... lots of wiggling.

As for the dynamic part, py personal preference is to stay tighter, control the weight down a little more, then push with more speed up.

looked good though.

mikesbench
02-07-2011, 06:24 AM
I agree with Brian and Barzeen; you need to either get a tighter setup that will allow a faster / stronger press, or cut the weight a little while you work on his aspect.

Maybe with the chains set a bit lower it might change the load enough for you to generate some more speed, but to me it kind of looked like you just haven't been doing these for too long and aren't very efficient at generating force rapidly yet. Stick with them and concentrate on being explosive. Definitely don't be afraid to experiment with lighter weight to learn to generate some speed on the bar.

gmen5681
02-07-2011, 06:27 AM
alright thanks everyone. i will work on getting tighter and i will drop the weight a bit, but should i use lighter chains or should i use light bar weight?

Travis Bell
02-07-2011, 06:35 AM
how much bar weight is that in the video?

Really work on that arch. You are very loose and are not utilizing much of an arch at all.

RhodeHouse
02-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Travis will know better, but I would say a few things:

1. I echo what everyone said about your set-up and arch. Get tighter and you'll probably have cleaner reps.

2. Chains are fine.

3. Although percents are a good indicator, if you're not a fast lifter, speed work won't make you faster. However, I feel it WILL help you learn how to push the weight harder. If you're not explosive, speed work won't change that. But, it can help you to have the "intention" of pushing the bar faster/harder. Sometimes the intention is all you'll get. Hope that makes sense.

4. I also agree with making each rep a single. So, you're doing 1 set of 3 singles. I don't mind pasuing at the bottom adn top. Although, I prefer just pausing a split second at the top.

Keep after it and get flawless with your set-up and arch.

gmen5681
02-07-2011, 11:38 AM
alright thanks a lot guys. i will work on these things. wednesday is ME work and i will record it again to have you guys take a look at my set up. once again thanks guys.

gmen5681
02-07-2011, 11:41 AM
how much bar weight is that in the video?

Really work on that arch. You are very loose and are not utilizing much of an arch at all.

those are bumper plates, so they are only 25s. and then the chains were 60 per side. when you say arch are you talking about just my upper body, or about tucking my legs? i prefer to tuck because i feel i can get much tighter. but i have a meet in 6 weeks and it requires i have feet flat.

i will also bring my pvc pipe and ill throw it under my lower back to get my arch developed.

paleopower
02-07-2011, 12:21 PM
If you are required to have flat feet, then I seem to get better leg drive by increasing shin angle out,,,ie move your feet out further in front of you and imagine trying to push your toes out through the end of your shoes,,this should give you more drive and less ass lift

Also the bar speed seems a bit slow for DE day,,so you bar weight is 95 + 120 of chain,,what % is this of your 1RM???

gmen5681
02-07-2011, 12:26 PM
its a about 75%, didnt really think about it until you just asked. next time i will be sure to go at the reccomended 40-50%. i thought my bar speed was good until you guys all hit me on it, haha, but i love the critique and really thankful for it. saturday is my next DE day, will be using bands this time tho and ill be sure to use 40--50%. ill also be sure to get a video so you guys can tear it apart again.

Travis Bell
02-07-2011, 07:23 PM
its a about 75%, didnt really think about it until you just asked. next time i will be sure to go at the reccomended 40-50%. i thought my bar speed was good until you guys all hit me on it, haha, but i love the critique and really thankful for it. saturday is my next DE day, will be using bands this time tho and ill be sure to use 40--50%. ill also be sure to get a video so you guys can tear it apart again.

You have more tension weight than bar weight. Big no no

So your max is about 365?

You should probably be using around 150lbs bar weight.

When using tension weight, any more than 90lbs is going to probably be too much.

So 150lbs bar weight and 90lbs tension for 240 total max. Lower is fine. Higher and its going to be far too much.

As far as your upper body tightness, I am more a fan of feet out position. What I was referring to was your shoulders are quite loose, you aren't squeezing your glutes and hips tight and given the way the bar moves, it seems your lats are not being used much.

gmen5681
02-08-2011, 06:36 AM
You have more tension weight than bar weight. Big no no

So your max is about 365?

You should probably be using around 150lbs bar weight.

When using tension weight, any more than 90lbs is going to probably be too much.

So 150lbs bar weight and 90lbs tension for 240 total max. Lower is fine. Higher and its going to be far too much.

As far as your upper body tightness, I am more a fan of feet out position. What I was referring to was your shoulders are quite loose, you aren't squeezing your glutes and hips tight and given the way the bar moves, it seems your lats are not being used much.

travis I have always had a hard time understanding the lats being involved in benching. is there any pointers you can give me how to use them, or is it just about keeping them tight the whole lift? tomorrow ill get a video and ask you to tear that apart as well. thanks guys

Brian Hopper
02-08-2011, 07:56 PM
I think you should take off some weight. Its about speed not weight.

3. Although percents are a good indicator, if you're not a fast lifter, speed work won't make you faster. However, I feel it WILL help you learn how to push the weight harder. If you're not explosive, speed work won't change that. But, it can help you to have the "intention" of pushing the bar faster/harder. Sometimes the intention is all you'll get. Hope that makes sense.

4. I also agree with making each rep a single. So, you're doing 1 set of 3 singles. I don't mind pasuing at the bottom adn top. Although, I prefer just pausing a split second at the top.

Instead of repeating what was already said, I'll just say that I agree with all of this!!!