PDA

View Full Version : squat critique

gmen5681
02-08-2011, 12:58 PM
since you guys were able to tear apart my DE bench, thought i would seek your advise on my box squat. the first thing i notice is that i lose tightness in my upper back when i unrack it. and secondly i think i need to set the box just a hair lower so that i break parrellel and not just at it.

thanks in advance for your critisism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6fSBaVcDqU

kingns
02-08-2011, 02:33 PM
looks good for a max attempt. THe only for sure thing I can add is to use a spotter

gmen5681
02-08-2011, 03:29 PM
yeah i can just use the squat rack too, but i really like doing it out of the squat stands, it also puts me into a i have to f'in do this type of mode.

ehopkins932
02-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Use a spotter and a rack...that mentality wont see so smart when you get stapled :)

And yea lower the box a bit and keep your upper back tighter. Try to drive your elbows under the bar on your way up too.

NickAus
02-08-2011, 04:51 PM
TRY TO LEAD WITH YOUR HEAD A LITTLE MORE COMING UP AND STAY TIGHTER, I HAVE SEEN MUCH WORSE.

The guy in the background is doing split cleans ha ha...........he made up a new movement!

NickAus
02-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Sorry about the dam caps lock.

gmen5681
02-08-2011, 05:10 PM
TRY TO LEAD WITH YOUR HEAD A LITTLE MORE COMING UP AND STAY TIGHTER, I HAVE SEEN MUCH WORSE.

The guy in the background is doing split cleans ha ha...........he made up a new movement!

haha, didn't even notice the guy in the back. its not the worst thing ive seen in there though. i train on a marine corps base and the idiotic things i see every time is amazing.

i will try and lead with the head a bit more. its a ME rep for me too, so i knew going in it wasnt going to be perfect. but you can always fix something.

Brian Hopper
02-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Try forcing your elbows down because that will help keeping your chest up. Also, don't be in such a hurry when you unrack it. Let the weight settle first and then walk back. I would definitely drop the height of the box. But it all looked pretty good for a max effort squat.

NickAus
02-08-2011, 08:46 PM
These guys know more than me but the box height looks ok.

Yeah for a max lift its pretty good!

skiboy
02-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Yes the box is high but different levels of height to train for different things, I always say learn high and go lower later.
You may want to bring in the hands on bar a little like an inch this may help in keeping that back a little tigher and remember to pinch the shoulder blades during the lift this will help keep the arch. Core work will help too.
I'm not sure and cannot see but there might be some knee cave in coming off the box, just remember to push the knees out going down and up.
I'm glad to see that Hooper talked about the unracking and not to rush it. Too many lifters unrack and move and try to setup too fast, you can loose a lot of energy trying to do it that way.

Brian Hopper
02-09-2011, 09:21 AM
You may want to bring in the hands on bar a little like an inch this may help in keeping that back a little tigher and remember to pinch the shoulder blades during the lift this will help keep the arch.

Good point Mike!!! Bringing your grip in more will help you with keep your back tight.

AdamBAG
02-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Just a couple of things to add...

Move the box closer to the rack. You don't need to walk it back that far. Take your time, stand up with the weight, and ideally you'll take two steps total to get set up.

There is a space between the flooring right between the box and the rack. You could easily trip on that. Something to watch out for.

gmen5681
02-09-2011, 10:01 AM
noticed the flooring too when watching the video. next time ill just more the stands back so i dont have to deal with that. i will also try to get my hands closer. it kills my shoulders going close, but ill give it a shot. that was also my first time doing box squats at that gym, i kept thinking i was going to be to far forward and i would miss the box squatting down. so ill be sure to get the box closer and ill get away from the floor area. thanks again guys for all the help. its great to have guys like you looking at my stuff to give me pointers.