PDA

View Full Version : Rotating lifts

Off Road
02-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Chris Mason and a few others have me curious and I'd like to try a routine that has me rotating lifts more often. Would the Skinny Bastards routine be a good choice? I like the one lower body and two upper body workouts every week. Goals are simply to get stronger using basic home equipment like a power cage, barbell, dumbbells, and a bench.

I was thinking of rotating the Max Effort lifts every week and rotating the repetition lifts every three weeks...

My current maxes are:
Bench 300 lbs
Squat 410 lbs
Deadlift 450 lbs

Dan Fanelli
02-08-2011, 06:48 PM
What is the "skinny bastards routine"???

Are you referring to WS4SB?

Sounds like a good idea. I'd just go with a basic Westside template to start and then modify from there if needed.

Off Road
02-08-2011, 07:11 PM
What is the "skinny bastards routine"???

Are you referring to WS4SB?

Sounds like a good idea. I'd just go with a basic Westside template to start and then modify from there if needed.

Yes, I meant the WS4SB routine. I didn't want to get into the whoe "What is Westside" arguement, and I didn't want to mess around with Dynamic Effort. So, I thought WS4SB would do the trick for my goals of experimenting with rotating lifts. Lastly, I like the two upper and one lower sessions every week, it works well with my recovery.

joey54
02-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Actually with your experience and love for 20 rep squatting, have you given thought to DC training? I know it isn't powerlifting, but also know it isn't your main focus either.

You seem to have training ADHD recently. Think you just need to pick a plan and get after it.

Off Road
02-08-2011, 07:19 PM
You seem to have training ADHD recently. Think you just need to pick a plan and get after it.

That's for damn sure, I'm just bored with 5/3/1 and a little unsure of where I want to go with everything.

Off Road
02-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Actually with your experience and love for 20 rep squatting, have you given thought to DC training? I know it isn't powerlifting, but also know it isn't your main focus either.

I thought I was going to try that but never got around to it. Maybe I'll look into it more now.

mchicia1
02-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I thought I was going to try that but never got around to it. Maybe I'll look into it more now.

Tough to do with a home gym though. Have you given any thought to doing a routine like mine? Basically the DC exercise split but 5/3/1 for the big 4 and rest-paused for the accessories, rotating 2 of them.

Dan Fanelli
02-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Yes, I meant the WS4SB routine. I didn't want to get into the whoe "What is Westside" arguement, and I didn't want to mess around with Dynamic Effort. So, I thought WS4SB would do the trick for my goals of experimenting with rotating lifts. Lastly, I like the two upper and one lower sessions every week, it works well with my recovery.

Most of the programs related to Westside are 4x per week upper/lower, but im sure you could make it work. I'd also reconsider the DE work. Its one of the best and most important parts of the program. DE work will help with strength, size, and conditioning if done correctly. Also, it only takes about 5-10 minutes to do.

Brian Hopper
02-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Are you looking for a program or different movements to do on your bench, squat and deadlift day?

Off Road
02-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Are you looking for a program or different movements to do on your bench, squat and deadlift day?

Mostly I'm looking for something different to do to get me motivated to stick with a routine. My main goals are to get stronger. Chris and others say that rotating lifts every week is the best way to make progress, so I thought I'd try it for myself since I'm not married to any one routine right now.

Both WS4SB and DC sound like something I'd like to try out.

Dan Fanelli
02-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Mostly I'm looking for something different to do to get me motivated to stick with a routine. My main goals are to get stronger. Chris and others say that rotating lifts every week is the best way to make progress, so I thought I'd try it for myself since I'm not married to any one routine right now.

Both WS4SB and DC sound like something I'd like to try out.

Seriously OR go with Westside. Its not a very strict program so its great if you have training ADD. You can constantly switch things up, and as long as you do it intelligently you can continue to progress. You could even work in aspects of DC training into the Westside Template.

Also, Chris Mason is going to be publishing a new article/program soon that is right up your alley. I think it actually combines Westside and DC, but dont quote me on that.

ScottYard
02-09-2011, 06:42 AM
Go to the Westside site and read every article there. Then put it to practice in the gym. WS for skinny bastards isnt really westside. GO right to the source.

StLRPh
02-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Also, Chris Mason is going to be publishing a new article/program soon that is right up your alley. I think it actually combines Westside and DC, but dont quote me on that.

I'm really looking forward to this article.

Off Road
02-09-2011, 07:23 AM
WS for skinny bastards isnt really westside.
That's why I avoided calling it that :)

Brian Hopper
02-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Chris and others say that rotating lifts every week is the best way to make progress.

I agree 100% and you won't get bored :)

mchicia1
02-09-2011, 09:26 AM
I agree 100% and you won't get bored :)

+1 bump...

OR, from my journal you saw how bored I was with 5/3/1. Spicing it up by rotating accessory lifts completely resurrected my interest in that routine. I think it will work for you too!

Brian C
02-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Have you tried Crossfit or maybe even Zumba?? ....:clown: JK buddy. WS I think is right up your alley bud. Training conjugate method will keep you switching things up.

KarlMarx
02-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Just as a counter idea, I found WS4SB to be great (vs. 'real' Westside) for somebody whose lifting time is limited. I found that with the 'real' Westside Template you are basically going to need to do other short workouts over the week. For instance, to do some shrugs or rear delt work you'll have to fit those in somewhere else. If I was a pro and did four primary workouts a week with 20-30min supplemental workouts throughout the week that wouldn't be an issue. But with WS4SB, he basically tries to cram in all that you'll need in your workouts to maintain health and balance while increasing your lifts. Its been awhile since I looked into it, so maybe I am misremembering (I've started 5/3/1 awhile ago and have been doing all my reading there...) but I remember that being my reason for choosing WS4SB over WS.

Off Road
02-13-2011, 01:03 PM
I have decided to return to 5/3/1 with rotating accessory lifts.

Brian Hopper
02-13-2011, 02:34 PM
I have decided to return to 5/3/1 with rotating accessory lifts.

Sounds good :)

Brian C
02-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Can't go wrong with that!!