PDA

View Full Version : Does the amount of protein change when cooked?

sthrnfryedyakee
02-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I have been label reading lately and I found that 4 OZ of raw mussels contain 24g protein, so does that mean if I cook them they will not have the same amount of protein when cooked. I will be trying to incorporate at least 4-8 oz of mussels into my diet daily, 1 because they are cheap and 2 I love em. and 3 because that the benefits of mussels seem to surpass that of other protein sources. I still love chicken and beef but mussels seem to give me a break fromthe norm, especially over a bed of pasta with some shrimp. Can anyone else who eat musels as a protein add in account for their benefits from them. Are mussels a fast, medium or slow digesting protein? I would like to thank everyone in advance

Sean S
02-12-2011, 02:55 PM
You won't lose any protein with cooking. It will denature the protein many times, but all the amino acids are intact so the benefits are still there. I've never seen an analysis of the protein breakdown rate in mussels but I assume they are relatively slow digesting like most intact meats are.

bradley
02-12-2011, 07:16 PM
I agree with Sean S. Proteins are a long chain of amino acids and when cooking they will denature but the amino acids are still present, which is what the body will break them down to anyway. I personally go by the information on the label regardless of the cooking methods. I can look on pubmed if you would like to read actual scientific studies.