PDA

View Full Version : Do you participate in any other sports besides powerlifting regularly?

ThomasG
02-12-2011, 05:21 PM
How has it affected your power lifting performance, negatively and positively? I play 2-3 hours of racquetball intensely per week.

Positives
As long as I compensate for calories I lose no strength. It has improved my conditioning.

Negatives
Elbows. I have to take extra care of them now, weekly icings and sometimes wraping my elbows in ace bandages while lifting.

MarcusWild
02-13-2011, 07:22 PM
I used to play hockey at a fairly competitive level. We had former college players in my league. As I got stronger it was too much for my hips to reover. I stop playing hockey, and it was great for my squat.

Hobo Beard
02-13-2011, 08:34 PM
How has it affected your power lifting performance, negatively and positively? I play 2-3 hours of racquetball intensely per week.

Positives
As long as I compensate for calories I lose no strength. It has improved my conditioning.

Negatives
Elbows. I have to take extra care of them now, weekly icings and sometimes wraping my elbows in ace bandages while lifting.

Nope.

I purposely avoid ANY physical exertion (other than sex) outside of the gym.

Whether it be walking, running, sports, lifting/loading ****, yardwork . . .

I know my body only has a finite amount of energy and I want it ALL for the gym.

Other people think I have mental issue because I do this--and they may be right.

chris mason
02-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Jack of all trades master of none. You CAN, however, use strength training to augment your athletic abilities. Focusing on just powerlifting is a lot of stress on the body. Adding regular sporting activities to that can be too much.

Cmanuel
02-13-2011, 10:23 PM
no other physical activities here outside of PL/strongman. School already takes up 99% of my life as it is

ScottYard
02-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Does drinking count? Lol

Bosshogg300
02-14-2011, 06:37 AM
Yea I play college football and did college track, power lifting helped me with all aspects and made me an even better player and aslong as I take in my calories I need I lose no strength or size

vdizenzo
02-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Double edged Malaysian knife fighting. However, I only do it on off days.

kingkong51
02-14-2011, 11:26 AM
I run 10k when i am in the offseason and lots of sex but I dont think that is a sport.

gmen5681
02-14-2011, 11:29 AM
ultimate frisbee every sunday when its nice out

Clone
02-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Double edged Malaysian knife fighting. However, I only do it on off days.

This explains your haircut.

David Lewis
02-15-2011, 06:11 AM
Hay bailing....have to look at as a sport otherwise I would quit....

IronDiggy
02-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Power Eating and Power napping. I'm pretty good at em too.

Hobo Beard
02-15-2011, 12:47 PM
I run 10k when i am in the offseason

Video or it never happened!

mastermonster
02-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Mine's not too physically taxing. But it gives me some balance to my life and gives me an extra stress release. Also lets me take my mind off the lifting a couple or 3 days a month (a good mental break). I compete in IDPA Defensive Pistol Competitions. It's the perfect sport to enhance skills if you're law enforcement or licensed to carry a concealed weapon and are ever forced to survive an armed attack. Face it! No attacker is going to stand still at 25 yards away while you take your time and show him how good of a marksman you are! The 'strings' are set up as 'real life scenario' as possible with multiple attackers (bad guys), good guys (bystanders and hostages), still, moving and partially obstructed attackers. You are required to draw from concealed carry, fire at the attackers in order of greatest threat, as you move to cover barrackades, walls corners, etc. It is scored by time and accuracy combination. The body score (kill) zone is about the size of a paper plate. The head zone is about a 5 inch square inside the head of the silloutte. Shots out side the target count as time off your score. My fastest string to date is a 3 attacker string from 5 to 7 yards in 2.1 seconds from signal to draw to last shot; requiring 2 shots to each target (6 total shots). That was not the best time of the string by the way! The timed score is to up the pressure and stress level on the shooter since being in a funfight will not be like a relaxed day on the bench rest at the shooting range. Most strings the targets will be from 2 yards to 15 yards; occasionally out to 25 yards (seldom). The matches are a great adrenaline rush! The guns must be practical defensive carry size pistols or revolvers. There is a pre sized box that the guns must fit into to qualify. No tricked out specialized target pistols allowed. I shoot a Springfield XD 9mm. Glock 17s and Colt style 1911s are also very popular guns at these matches. It is not only a ton of fun, but in this crazy world the skills you reinforce could very well keep you and /or your family alive.

ThomasG
02-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Mine's not too physically taxing. But it gives me some balance to my life and gives me an extra stress release. Also lets me take my mind off the lifting a couple or 3 days a month (a good mental break). I compete in IDPA Defensive Pistol Competitions. It's the perfect sport to enhance skills if you're law enforcement or licensed to carry a concealed weapon and are ever forced to survive an armed attack. Face it! No attacker is going to stand still at 25 yards away while you take your time and show him how good of a marksman you are! The 'strings' are set up as 'real life scenario' as possible with multiple attackers (bad guys), good guys (bystanders and hostages), still, moving and partially obstructed attackers. You are required to draw from concealed carry, fire at the attackers in order of greatest threat, as you move to cover barrackades, walls corners, etc. It is scored by time and accuracy combination. The body score (kill) zone is about the size of a paper plate. The head zone is about a 5 inch square inside the head of the silloutte. Shots out side the target count as time off your score. My fastest string to date is a 3 attacker string from 5 to 7 yards in 2.1 seconds from signal to draw to last shot; requiring 2 shots to each target (6 total shots). That was not the best time of the string by the way! The timed score is to up the pressure and stress level on the shooter since being in a funfight will not be like a relaxed day on the bench rest at the shooting range. Most strings the targets will be from 2 yards to 15 yards; occasionally out to 25 yards (seldom). The matches are a great adrenaline rush! The guns must be practical defensive carry size pistols or revolvers. There is a pre sized box that the guns must fit into to qualify. No tricked out specialized target pistols allowed. I shoot a Springfield XD 9mm. Glock 17s and Colt style 1911s are also very popular guns at these matches. It is not only a ton of fun, but in this crazy world the skills you reinforce could very well keep you and /or your family alive.

haha wow! Sounds fun.

mastermonster
02-17-2011, 04:27 PM
It is definately fun! And very practical!

NickAus
02-17-2011, 05:31 PM
It is definately fun! And very practical!

Good stuff!!

Men that have no interest in protecting themselves and their family puzzle me....

They act like its not important yet do not want to eat bad food or smoke cause it may shorten their life.............being useless in a fight/attack can shorten your life real quick!

Hazerboy
02-17-2011, 07:26 PM
I compete in IDPA Defensive Pistol Competitions. It's the perfect sport to enhance skills if you're law enforcement or licensed to carry a concealed weapon and are ever forced to survive an armed attack. Face it! No attacker is going to stand still at 25 yards away while you take your time and show him how good of a marksman you are! ...

That sounds WICKED fun. I'll have to try this out when I'm older and have a bit more time and money on my hands. Guns are crazy fun. I love shotgun shooting and hunting but I've only been to a pistol range once. I like the practicality of it too, though I always chuckle a bit when people reference gun training with respect to protecting their family. For instance, are you CPR certified or have you ever taken a home safety course? Statistically a member of your family is more likely to die of cardiac arrest or drowning in your back door pool than being robbed or murdered. If you're real interest is protecting your family,this should be your top priority(obv not an attack on you just pointing out what I see).

cutter
02-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Spear fishing.
Positive- expanded lung capacity, improved breathing controll.
Negative- awfull cramps in my calves, discourages me from exercising my legs.

Tennis- no real negatives, just a little extra tiredness the next day.

mastermonster
02-19-2011, 01:09 PM
That sounds WICKED fun. I'll have to try this out when I'm older and have a bit more time and money on my hands. Guns are crazy fun. I love shotgun shooting and hunting but I've only been to a pistol range once. I like the practicality of it too, though I always chuckle a bit when people reference gun training with respect to protecting their family. For instance, are you CPR certified or have you ever taken a home safety course? Statistically a member of your family is more likely to die of cardiac arrest or drowning in your back door pool than being robbed or murdered. If you're real interest is protecting your family,this should be your top priority(obv not an attack on you just pointing out what I see).

Good points! And I am CPR certfied and have been for 22 years (my job requires it but everyone with a family (anyone really) should be. I was also a lifeguard a couple of summers at a large public pool when I was in school. So, I'm pretty well covered as I can be on protecting my family on that front.

Everyone should take the initiative to be trained enough to protect their family. It shocks me that people think '911' is all they need if they or robbed or attacked! A former police officer once said that 911 is little more than government 'DIAL A PRAYER'. All you can count on if you even have the time to dial it is that the police and EMTs will get there to carry away your families bodies and gather evidence. It's your responsibilty to be your own front line of protection.

douglasoh5
02-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Is sex a sport? haha in all realitly if you really want to be good at powerlifting or any other sport you have to pretty much be dedicated 100%. Theres stuff like golfing, bowling and softball Id like to beable to do like in some rec leauge but that **** really tears me up so I dont do it

JSully
02-19-2011, 10:39 PM
highland games... very fun to spin around and throw heavy things