PDA

View Full Version : I know this question may sound kinda stupid but sometimes my stupid questions pay off

sthrnfryedyakee
02-15-2011, 05:59 AM
Is it protein that helps build muscle or clean calories (obviously with protein in them)? I am only asking this for 2 reasons. 1, I keep reading that if you do not take in more calories than you burn in a day that you will not grow muscle and 2 because I have such a sensitive stomach I cannot eat the way I need to build the muscle I am looking for, I was planning on switching from a whey only protein to either a 7 blend protein with multi absoption rate proteins ORRRR a mass gainer to help fill in the holes of where I am not eating the extra clean calories. The mass gainer if I break the serving size into 3-4 smaller servings I would gain approx 15g protein, 60g carbs and approx 350-400 clean calories. I am NOT thin by any means and I have no problem putting on weight but I do have stomach issues that prevents me from eating 6-7 times a day. With all of that being said. my first 2 breaks at work are normally 2 bananas and a crunchy granola bar at each break which gives me calories but not alot of protein, or I buy a big container of mixed nuts and I break them down into 2 oz portions which gives me approx 340 cals, 12-15g protein and I forgot how many carbs and I might eat a 2 oz serving at each break. For lunch I have a sandwhich with 4 oz of chicken, a slice of cheese a small bag of doritos (I HAVE to have my crunch) on 2 pieces of 15 grain whole grain bread (cant remember the caloric/protein.carb intake) Dinner is usually a nice big piece of fish/chicken or 6oz steak, veggies/salad and a potato or sweet potato, water, seltzer or my peach snapple. Would I be better served by the mass gainer to fill in the holes or the time released protein. I would like to add 1 more thing, because of my stomach I can not always eat breakfast, I know that is killing me right there but I just cant some days. Could I eat 2 babnanas and a granola bar for breakfast? I truly thank anyone who took the time and kept their sanity while reading this.

Floid
02-15-2011, 11:10 AM
I think the problem is that if you are running a calorie deficit, your body will do two things:

1.) It will burn the protein you are eating instead of using it to build muscle. This is why you both need to eat enough protein and enough calories in general, so that you body burns the carbs and fat and uses the protein for muscle building.

2.) If you are running enough of a decifit, your body won't waste the energy to build muscle and in fact it could start to break down muscle as a source of energy.

Dan Fanelli
02-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Is it protein that helps build muscle or clean calories (obviously with protein in them)? .

Protein, carbs, and fat are all needed. As far as your muscles are concerned, there are no "clean calories". A calorie is a calorie. Increased muscle size is the result of growth and storage.

This question is asked one way or another just about every day. You dont necessarily have to take in more calories to build muscle, but its very hard to do so. More protein, more calories, and resistance training = hypertrophy.