PDA

View Full Version : Practice like you play?

StLRPh
02-16-2011, 12:05 PM
When I was in school every coach I ever had said to always practice like you play. It makes sense to me to continue to do this while strength training. I'll be starting up with a strongman group next month and I want to train in a way that has the most carryover to the events.

For my gym workouts this would mean changing my pulls from sumo to conventional, focusing more on overhead work (with push presses, jerks and cleans), and add sleeves/wraps as needed.

I'm sure there's more to it than that but is that it in a nutshell? Any suggestions are welcome.

thanks in advance,

vdizenzo
02-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah, most guys do more overhead stuff than benching. I agree with your changes. An interesting guy in strongman is Dan Harrison (Pro). I think he uses the conjugate method and then either has an event day or starts training events when a show is coming up. He's a very strong raw lifter and an excellent strongman. Best of both worlds in my opinion. You might want to look for any of his stuff that might be out on the web.

StLRPh
02-16-2011, 12:39 PM
really appreciate the response Vinnie, I'll look him up today.

ScottYard
02-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Exactly. I preach that daily.

NickAus
02-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Smart thinking!!

Paul Sousa
02-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Matt, the one thing I noticed from my first competition is upper back strength is huge and I was lacking in it. A strong upper back will help a lot with events like sandbag carries, stone loading, etc.

StLRPh
02-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Gotta get Yoked!

Tom Mutaffis
02-19-2011, 09:53 AM
When I was in school every coach I ever had said to always practice like you play. It makes sense to me to continue to do this while strength training. I'll be starting up with a strongman group next month and I want to train in a way that has the most carryover to the events.

For my gym workouts this would mean changing my pulls from sumo to conventional, focusing more on overhead work (with push presses, jerks and cleans), and add sleeves/wraps as needed.

I'm sure there's more to it than that but is that it in a nutshell? Any suggestions are welcome.

thanks in advance,

You should definitely specialize if you want to optimize your performance, but deciding how to do this would depend on what your best tools are as a competitor.

If you are someone who is going to do well in strongman based on speed or athleticism then your optimal program would be different from someone who relies simply on brute strength.

StLRPh
02-19-2011, 10:42 AM
You should definitely specialize if you want to optimize your performance, but deciding how to do this would depend on what your best tools are as a competitor.

If you are someone who is going to do well in strongman based on speed or athleticism then your optimal program would be different from someone who relies simply on brute strength.

really good point Tom, thanks. It's unlikely that I'll ever be the strongest guy in the room but I can definitely bust my ass and work hard and see where that takes me.

JJD975
02-19-2011, 12:10 PM
I preach this to my son all through baseball and basketball season. I am a firm believer in it. You get out of it what you put into it.