PDA

View Full Version : Help me set some dieting goals (pics inside)

NoMoreFatChix
02-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Background:

I am 27 year old. I'm tall (190cm or 6 ft 2.8 inches) with a naturally lean build. By most definitions I've seen I would be what is called a hardgainer. I started lifting and eating a lot (for me) of food in August. I went from 75-77kg (165-169 lbs) to 92-93kg (202-204 lbs). For me this was a huge success because I proved for the first time in my life I was able to gain some substantial mass. However, someone with more experience would of course see flaws in what I did; I ate way to much in the beginning (too much whole milk!:P) and got quite a bit of extra fat on my belly and my ass to show for it. When Christmas came I decided I wasn't really comfortable getting fatter. (By the way, when I say fat I don't mean big; I'm still a small guy. It's mostly just a layer on my belly and ass.)

So, since January, I've been a bit stricter with counting calories, and I aimed for hitting maintenance. I've trying to get about 3100-3200 kcal a day, and I think I hit target fairly OK, since my weight haven't moved much in this time. This also happen to be when I started HCT-12, and I just finished my first cycle.

Now:

Last week I decided to go on a calorie deficit, aiming for 2800-2900 a day. I use fitday, but since I eat in dinner at my work cafeteria, I don't have perfect control. So far I seem to able to adjust my diet with acceptable precision though.

The question is whether this is the right way forward.

My long term goals are to gain. I would just like to do it without getting fat, and eventually I guess I want to be fairly ripped. At least a flat stomach. I've been reading stuff from people like Borge Fagerli and Lyle McDonald, and I get the impression they recommend to lean out quite a bit (like close to 10% bf) before you start building at a slow rate.

In my journal, Kiff suggested an alternative route might be to keep eating maintenance for some months before going for a surplus again, but he also suggested I ask here.

I don't know my bf% but I will include some pics to give you an idea. According to the "Tape Measurement Method" of this calculator (http://www.linear-software.com/online.html) I got about 19%.

Pic from before I started lifting:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5131/5431909360_9eb93aa5be_m.jpg

Current pic at a morning BW of 91-92 kg (about 201 lbs)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5217/5431301811_0b11b2e1bd.jpg

Pic from this Christmas, showing belly fat a bit better:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5295/5453583344_48f0686f83.jpg

(None are with pump, but in the middle one I flex obviously.)

Say, on the time horizon of a year or so, what would you suggest to do. Cut, then gain slowly? Maintain then gain slowly? Just bulk all the way and get fat?;)

My current plan is to cut for a few months (3?), and if I keep my strength in this time I will be very happy. But I don't really know much about what to expect.

I can give details on what I eat too if necessary.

4g64fiero
02-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Eat 200 grams of protein a day and eat 500 calories above maintenance if you want to gain, subtract 500 if you want to lose. Adjust from there.

RichMcGuire
02-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Lyle McDonald and others suggest starting at like 10% bf and then gaining weight until you hit 15% bf - cut down to 10, and start over. Each time you'd have more muscle mass.

Its probably not a bad idea for people that dont want to become a fat ass. Of course, you could just be smart about it and eye ball it. As in, start leaner, then get your eat on and get stronger whiler accepting some fat gain - then eat less and continue to try and get stronger until you are leaner again - repeat. You dont have to be too technical about most things above 10% bf unless your set point is really high.

Speaking from personal experience, you can probably just eat until you are content and lose weight since you had to work your ass off and overly stuff your face to gain what you did in the first place.

NoMoreFatChix
02-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Lyle McDonald and others suggest starting at like 10% bf and then gaining weight until you hit 15% bf - cut down to 10, and start over. Each time you'd have more muscle mass.

Its probably not a bad idea for people that dont want to become a fat ass. Of course, you could just be smart about it and eye ball it.

Yeah, I don't have a reliable way to measure bf% anyway, so my plan was to just go by how I look. But some numbers are useful to be able to discuss it with you guys. I would think I am well over 15% now?

As in, start leaner, then get your eat on and get stronger whiler accepting some fat gain - then eat less and continue to try and get stronger until you are leaner again - repeat. You dont have to be too technical about most things above 10% bf unless your set point is really high.

Speaking from personal experience, you can probably just eat until you are content and lose weight since you had to work your ass off and overly stuff your face to gain what you did in the first place.

Yeah, maybe. I noticed though that after I turned 25-26 my metabolism changed slightly. I used to be super skinny all the time, but now my fat is a bit more stubborn.

From what you and Kiff said, I'm thinking it's probably a good idea to eat close to maintenance then. If I eat at a deficit, it will be a very small one. Like 200 kcal or something. I agree it's probably not necessary to be too technical. I use fitday etc. mostly to give myself an idea of where I am.

Thanks bro.

lenny spero
02-22-2011, 12:22 PM
i would suggest you do some research on carb cycleing if you want to hold onto as much muscle as possible or possibly gain a little muscle while looseing fat..
its a slow process but it works very well....the "body recomposition" diet and other similar diets where you do no carb or extremely low carb for a few days did not work for me..i lost weight but i losttons of muscle and my lifts suffered alot..the carb cycleing diet is more exact..harder to follow but yealds 100% better results IMO.