PDA

View Full Version : 3 day Westside programming?

StLRPh
02-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Is there a generally accepted way to incorporate WSB principles when only gym training only 3 days a week? I'm going to start doing strongman event training on the weekends and wanted to use West Side during the week for my gym work.

The options I've seen so far are:
Week 1
Monday ME Lower
Wednes ME Upper
Friday DE Squat

Week 2
Monday DE Bench
Wednes ME Lower
Friday ME Upper

And

Week 1
Monday ME Lower
Wednes ME Upper
Friday DE Lower

Week 2
Monday DE Upper
Wednes ME Lower
Friday ME Upper

Week 3
Monday DE Lower
Wednes DE Upper
Friday ME Lower

Week 4
Monday ME Upper
Wednes DE Lower
Friday DE Upper

I also saw that Dan Harrison uses this:
Day 1 ME Upper/DE lower
Day 2 ME Lower/DE upper

Is anyone better than the other? I'd be doing GPP on Wednsday and Saturday (events training).

thanks in advance,

hulk242
02-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Personally I think any of the combos would work. Pick one and go with it for a while and then make adjustments from there.

StLRPh
02-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Personally I think any of the combos would work. Pick one and go with it for a while and then make adjustments from there.

Thanks Adam. I kind of thought the same thing but have zero experience with it so I wanted to get as many opinions as possible.

matt

hulk242
02-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Once you really understand how your body responds to everything, you will know what you need to do. You may need less speed work and more heavy repeated effort or vise versa. Just give it a few months. If you change every few weeks you may not ever know what is working.

paleopower
02-17-2011, 04:35 PM
What about possibly doing one of you ME moves before strongman stuff, basically then using your strongman as the accessory..

StLRPh
02-17-2011, 04:37 PM
What about possibly doing one of you ME moves before strongman stuff, basically then using your strongman as the accessory..

I'm not sure that's an option. I'm going to do whatever events they ask me to do and whenever they ask me to do them. From talking to the guy that runs it events take about 3 hours on Saturday and it won't be possible for me to get their early.

Dan Fanelli
02-17-2011, 04:44 PM
There are a few potential problems I see with the options you listed.

In the first option, on week 2 you have a ME upper workout on friday the day before doing your strongman stuff.

In the second option you have the same problems with ME days on fridays and mondays.

I think your answer is going to come down to what you are trying to achieve. Are you using the strongman stuff as GPP, or are you training specifically for strongman? I know there are some Westside modifications for Strongman training floating around somewhere.

Also, its going to depend on exactly what you are doing on these "strongman days" and how much intensity and volume you are going to use.

It can definately work. You just need to know what you are using each day for, and then make adjustments as needed.

AdamBAG
02-17-2011, 04:47 PM
You are training with a group right? Find out what those guys do during the week.

Also, as Adam said, figuring this stuff out by trial and error in the gym is half the fun.

StLRPh
02-17-2011, 07:43 PM
There are a few potential problems I see with the options you listed.
In the first option, on week 2 you have a ME upper workout on friday the day before doing your strongman stuff.
In the second option you have the same problems with ME days on fridays and mondays.
I think your answer is going to come down to what you are trying to achieve. Are you using the strongman stuff as GPP, or are you training specifically for strongman? I know there are some Westside modifications for Strongman training floating around somewhere.
Also, its going to depend on exactly what you are doing on these "strongman days" and how much intensity and volume you are going to use.
It can definately work. You just need to know what you are using each day for, and then make adjustments as needed.
My main focus is getting strong enough to actually do the events :)

You are training with a group right? Find out what those guys do during the week.
Also, as Adam said, figuring this stuff out by trial and error in the gym is half the fun.

For the events I plan on going all out. So I'm sure I'll need to take that into account. I'll be asking them for input when I get started.

Thanks for the input guys

Dan Fanelli
02-17-2011, 08:33 PM
My main focus is getting strong enough to actually do the events :)

For the events I plan on going all out. So I'm sure I'll need to take that into account. I'll be asking them for input when I get started.

Thanks for the input guys

It might be difficult to get strong enough for the events and go "all out" on them on a weekly basis. Talk to the guys there and get a thought out program setup.

KarstenDD
02-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Hey look!. Someone already thought about this and did the thinking for you! (http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/programs/matt-rhodes-westside-template/) It hear it worked out ok, I guess.

StLRPh
02-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Hey look!. Someone already thought about this and did the thinking for you! (http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/programs/matt-rhodes-westside-template/) It hear it worked out ok, I guess.

Did you mean this one:
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/programs/matt-rhodes-3-day-westside-split/

I've read through that one and it's actually the first example.

Dan Fanelli
02-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Did you mean this one:
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/programs/matt-rhodes-3-day-westside-split/

I've read through that one and it's actually the first example.

The problem is, you aren't doing a THREE day 'Westside' Split. You are doing 3 days of Westside and 1 day of strongman.

I still think knowing what type of stuff you are going to do on Saturday's is VERY important to make a recommendation, but without that info, there are two possible options.

A) The saturday stuff wont be very heavy and will be more similar to "conditioning" work.
B) The saturday stuff will be heavy and intense, and will be similar to ME work.

You have to treat these two options very differently.

If its [A] , then stick with a normal Westside 4 day split, and drop the DE work. Maybe a ME upper, ME lower, Accessory, and then strongman days. (4 days).

If its [B] then you probably dont want to have 3 ME days. In this case, you'll probably drop one of your ME days, or combine them into more of a full body ME day.

Either way, you are working with a FOUR day split, and not THREE.

shawno
02-17-2011, 11:45 PM
If you're serious about getting into strongman then you need to focus on the gym lifts that have carry over to the events. So in reality you'll be doing minimal Benching and a lot of OH Pressing, plus Cleans & heavy Bicep work (stuff not normally in a Westside template).
I would just do this each week:
Monday ME Lower - focus Deadlift variation, heavy rows
Wednes ME Upper - focus OH Press variation, Cleans & heavy Bi's
Friday DE Squat -
If you can find out what events will be done on the upcoming Saturday, this would help determine what you can do on the Friday. If your squat is weak then you may need Friday to be more DE/Sub Max combo day.
But you'll certainly want heavy Deads on Monday or Wed to recover for Saturday's grueling session. This setup worked well for me.

StLRPh
02-18-2011, 06:36 AM
@ Dan - I'm guessing its going to be more like option B, for me at least. I see what you're saying with it actually being more of a four-day split.

@Shawno - appreciate the input, the split you posted is very similar to a few that I've seen elsewhere. My only question was if drop the DE Upper would be detrimental to the overall program.

Paul Sousa
02-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Matt, I have a couple thoughts. First, since you are following JP's linear progression right now maybe ask in his Q&A how he would adapt it to include strongman training one day a week.

The other thought is maybe this template could work for you since Steve has done strongman. I'm sure you could also ask in his Q&A on EFS on how to best include a day of strongman training.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/pull-press-squat/

StLRPh
02-18-2011, 03:06 PM
The other thought is maybe this template could work for you since Steve has done strongman. I'm sure you could also ask in his Q&A on EFS on how to best include a day of strongman training.http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/pull-press-squat/

This is great Paul, thanks!

Paul Sousa
02-18-2011, 03:11 PM
You can thank me by continuing your log at SV if you switch to that program. :)

I am contemplating trying it after I hit my first stall on squats with JP's program.

StLRPh
02-18-2011, 03:28 PM
I can probably do that. thanks again

shawno
02-18-2011, 04:35 PM
@ Dan - I'm guessing its going to be more like option B, for me at least. I see what you're saying with it actually being more of a four-day split.

@Shawno - appreciate the input, the split you posted is very similar to a few that I've seen elsewhere. My only question was if drop the DE Upper would be detrimental to the overall program.

I should've clarified, I didn't drop the DE Upper in its entirety. Would sub DE Upper in place of ME Upper once every 3rd or 4th workout. Again though, it wouldn't be speed benches but speed overhead press (of some sort). The thing to keep in mind is that in strongman competitions it isn't always just max poundage wins but often a set weight for max reps, so you need to build that "type" of strength as well. I think log c&p for reps or car deadlift for reps or tire flips would be the most popular.