PDA

View Full Version : starting strength

natanelnumber1
02-18-2011, 06:26 AM
starting strength

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi everyone i want to start the ss program and i have Some questions If I understand correctly
this the program

Squats: 3 x 5
Bench Press: 3 x 5
Deadlift: 1 x 5

Squats: 3 x 5
Press: 3 x 5
Power Clean:

1 .in the Power Clean i need do 3 sets or 5?
2.I heard you have to do pull ups If this is true how many i need and Where to put them?
3.I did not know what exercises to do on the last day of training per week It says you can do 2 sets hands but did not understand what exercises?

Off Road
02-18-2011, 07:35 AM
1 .in the Power Clean i need do 3 sets or 5?
No, 5 sets of 3.

2.I heard you have to do pull ups If this is true how many i need and Where to put them?
You do not have to do pull ups. Some guys like to add them and just do a couple of sets of maximum reps.

3.I did not know what exercises to do on the last day of training per week It says you can do 2 sets hands but did not understand what exercises?
Your third day of training should be a repeat of your first day of training. You workout three days a week and alternate the two different workouts every time (A-B-A-B-A-B-etc.).

SplitQuick
02-18-2011, 01:57 PM
I'd really recommend picking up the book if you haven't. He explains it all in there and it's honestly a great book for learning correct form. The book has pages and pages on each movement and explains every lift in detail. I got it for Christmas 2 years ago and have read through it a few times.

AdamBAG
02-18-2011, 02:05 PM
I'd really recommend picking up the book if you haven't. He explains it all in there and it's honestly a great book for learning correct form. The book has pages and pages on each movement and explains every lift in detail. I got it for Christmas 2 years ago and have read through it a few times.

Agreed. It's a very good book.

chris mason
02-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Starting Strength is a waste of your time and perhaps your body. If you want to give something a try then get the Westside Book of Methods.

AdamBAG
02-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Starting Strength is a waste of your time and perhaps your body. If you want to give something a try then get the Westside Book of Methods.

Chris, why do you think this?

I agree the programming could run anyone but absolute beginners in the ground, but I think the book has some really solid advice and tips on learning the basic lifts etc.

I'm interested to in why you have such a strong opinion about SS.

SplitQuick
02-18-2011, 06:53 PM
I've heard people argue about SS. I got SS when I was trying to get into lifting. Lifting with a few buddies for about 3 months watching two of them bounce the barbell off their chest for every "rep" of 225 on the bench, and seeing some of the (looking back) worst power clean form I've ever witnessed, but knowing what a power clean is now, they definitely weren't doing them anyway.

Regardless, I learned what I feel is a decent amount about form to the exercises I care about through SS, and more importantly, it made me look for more and more information on every...thing. From diet to programming to correct form to schedules and consistency. I don't think SS is the greatest book on lifting, but it did teach me to evaluate what I was doing working out with my buddies and not really making progress, no plan, nothing. I used SS to get to mostly where I am, and I moved on from it.

Dan Fanelli
02-18-2011, 07:59 PM
The only problem I see with SS is that its boring as hell. If you are a beginner and can stick with and follow directions its probably one of the best ways to start out. I wouldn't buy the book though. Just go to the starting strength wiki, and join the forums over there. Spend that extra money on milk.

RichMcGuire
02-18-2011, 10:21 PM
SS is a great routine to maximize linear progression and its one of the fastest ways to increase your squat, benchpress overhead press, and deadlift..which is really the damn point. I think one of the worst things people do is start using complicated routines or ones based off of "false %'s" and crap like that. A novice can insrease their strength on compound lifts 5-10 lbs every training session. It makes a lot of other things pretty moot. Me, personally, I'd rather max LP and build a base before I got too fancy.

Op - You should buy both Starting Strength and Practical programming. But as Dan said, you probably dont actually have to. Theres lots online. I just like to actually have the reference material ;)

RichMcGuire
02-18-2011, 10:23 PM
I've heard people argue about SS. I got SS when I was trying to get into lifting. Lifting with a few buddies for about 3 months watching two of them bounce the barbell off their chest for every "rep" of 225 on the bench, and seeing some of the (looking back) worst power clean form I've ever witnessed, but knowing what a power clean is now, they definitely weren't doing them anyway.

Regardless, I learned what I feel is a decent amount about form to the exercises I care about through SS, and more importantly, it made me look for more and more information on every...thing. From diet to programming to correct form to schedules and consistency. I don't think SS is the greatest book on lifting, but it did teach me to evaluate what I was doing working out with my buddies and not really making progress, no plan, nothing. I used SS to get to mostly where I am, and I moved on from it.

Yep - Thats exactly the point of it.

Dan Fanelli
02-19-2011, 12:12 AM
SS is a great routine to maximize linear progression and its one of the fastest ways to increase your squat, benchpress overhead press, and deadlift..which is really the damn point.

In addition to everything Rich is saying, its one of the best ways to LEARN the lifts. What better way to learn something than to do it very often. I'd probably also include cleans during the warm-ups to get more practice on them.

johnst_nhb
02-19-2011, 11:42 AM

Here we go again...

natanelnumber1
02-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I forgot to ask with how much weight I start the program and how much % I need to download from weights?

Dan Fanelli
02-19-2011, 01:48 PM
I forgot to ask with how much weight I start the program and how much % I need to download from weights?

read the book or the starting strength wiki...

JoelJ
02-25-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm a fan of starting strength for beginners who need to learn the moves and have pretty much no strength foundation. After a while though, it's time to move on.