PDA

View Full Version : Raw eggs Good or bad?

Goatofthunder
02-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Been trying to find a thread that covers this, buth the search engine is acting funny.

The thing is that I absulutly love to suck raw eggs out of there shells!
I have done this now for weeks before i go to sleep since the protein from egg whites is slow obsourbing and the fat as well.
Is there and concrete evidence that raw eggs are bad for you?
I mean, man and animals have been eating raw eggs for a loooong time! but only recently begen cooking them...

Here is an interestin artical i found...

http://www.regenerativenutrition.com/content.asp?id=268

Floid
02-18-2011, 08:22 AM
I think the biggest problem is the chance of salmonella poisioning, which probably is pretty low but stil a risk. If you are healthy, getting salmonella still probably wouldn't be but 2-3 days of food poisioning sympotms. Other than that, I don't know of anything so its just a risk you have to decide if you want ot take. If you are actually touching the shells to your lips the chance is probably higher.

Man and animals have been eating raw eggs for a long time, but we haven't been mass producing those eggs in huge, overcrowded chicken coops which increase the risk of diseases spreading for that long...

Mercuryblade
02-18-2011, 12:33 PM
First off, just because we have been doing a particular behavior for a period of time, in now way indicates that it's safe or a reasonable risk. Survival of a species as a whole doesn't indicate the safety of activities participated in by said members of species.

The risk of getting actual salmonella is pretty small, I don't really feel like digging for it at the moment but it's something like 1 in the thousands. That said, you have to ask yourself if the enjoyment you're gaining from eating raw eggs is really worth the potential for mind numbing diarrhea of vomiting over the course of a few days, never mind the fact that you'd lose some serious gym time and calories- not exactly ideal for someone try to get huge and awesome.

I'd recommend you just hardboil up a bunch, hardboiled eggs taste awesome with salt and fresh cracked pepper and they stay fresh in the fridge for a pretty long time.

Off Road
02-18-2011, 01:05 PM
I think raw eggs are nasty, but I'd eat them if I was starving.
I'd much rather shake up a serving of vanilla Nitrean before bed. Yummy.

Behemoth
02-18-2011, 03:55 PM
I think it's stupid considering they're just as good for you cooked. And if you looking for an easy way to down calories/protein then just make a shake. I don't think it's stupid because of the fear of salmonella. It's such a slim shot you'll get it and you can pretty much eliminate the possibility if you wash the shells. Additionally it's not like you're risking your life unless you're already in ****ty shape. If it makes you feel hardcore and consequently keeps you motivated I wouldn't particularly advise somebody against it.

bradley
02-18-2011, 04:37 PM
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.abstract

The protein in raw eggs is only 51% bio-available, whereas that of a cooked egg is nearer 91% bio-available, meaning the protein of cooked eggs is nearly twice as absorbable as the protein from raw eggs. Also the avidin in the egg white will bind biotin, which is not an issue after cooking, since cooking will denature avidin. I would recommend cooking the eggs.

Mercuryblade
02-19-2011, 12:03 PM
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.abstract

The protein in raw eggs is only 51% bio-available, whereas that of a cooked egg is nearer 91% bio-available, meaning the protein of cooked eggs is nearly twice as absorbable as the protein from raw eggs. Also the avidin in the egg white will bind biotin, which is not an issue after cooking, since cooking will denature avidin. I would recommend cooking the eggs.

This is a wonderful point. There was actually a thread about this not too long ago if I remember.

Goatofthunder
02-20-2011, 06:26 AM
well, i just thon its easier and faster suckin them out, but the bio obsorption is an excellent point and the only one i find to mattwr in this case. its not that i ama rocky wannabe, i just like how fast, easy and tasty it is. im boiling a buncg today and gona eat them cooked from now on.

Cmanuel
02-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Assuming good practices are in place by an egg supplier, you can expect around 1 in 15,000 eggs or so to be harboring Salmonella enteritidis, which is the subspecies most commonly associated with egg and poultry contamination. However, during a massive outbreak like the one we had last year where well over 500 million eggs were recalled.....well the risk goes up pretty significantly. Keep that in mind.

Footballer47
02-20-2011, 10:50 AM
If you can't cook them...go for it, but there was a myth that cooking eggs cooked some of the protien out of it... but thats just BS. Sylvester Stallone just couldn't cook for s**t.

bradley
02-20-2011, 02:30 PM
If you can't cook them...go for it, but there was a myth that cooking eggs cooked some of the protien out of it... but thats just BS. Sylvester Stallone just couldn't cook for s**t.

Cooking any protein will denature it somewhat, but when protein hits the stomach it will be further denatured into amino acids which is what the body needs in the first place. In other words I agree with your post.

To the OP, boiling eggs is easy and can be done days in advance. I am sure they will taste better.

Mark!
02-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Tried drinking raw eggs after watching Rocky and before football practice when I was like 10. Holy ****, that sucked. Came right back up on the pavement, summer heat...had fried eggs right there on the street.