PDA

View Full Version : Passing Out During the Squat?

thewookie
02-18-2011, 05:08 PM
To anyone that can help,

For the last year or so, whenever I work up to a max or near max squat I get dizzy beyond belief. I've passed out cold a few times (the first time I hit 775 in the gym, going after 817 in a meet, and last night with 903), the first and third time I passed out at the top (thankfully got it in the rack first w/ 775... not so much last night). Even if I don't wind up unconscious, I still wind up with blurry vision for a minute or two after the lift is done? What the hell could be happening, and how do I fix it? My resting BP is about 130/75, HR between 65-75 depending on time of day, so I don't think its a general health problem. I'm not "on" anything, so that couldn't be the issue either. My training partners and I are a little worried, since this is a recurring issue. I sustained a number of concussions playing football in highschool and college; could this have anything to do with it?

mike95763
02-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Not sure if it will help you or not, but I get dizzy, etc if I hold in too much air or hold it too high. If I hold just enough air to fill my lower abdomen and push against my belt I am ok, but if I start to hold air in my chest I get to see silver flashes and black spots and all sorts of fun things.

Sean S
02-18-2011, 06:35 PM
I've had issues nearly passing out on the SQ and DL basically if I try to take in too much air. As Mike said, I have to get enough air to get nice and tight, but not too much. Now I can tell if I'm getting close to overdoing it and generally have a decent sense of when to dial it back a bit. Even with that, I still get excited and take in too much air once in a while and get lightheaded.

Travis Bell
02-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Try adjusting your belt position as well.

Lones Green
02-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Try adjusting your belt position as well.

This made all the difference in the world for me. I was having the exact same problem.

mastermonster
02-19-2011, 01:11 PM
I agree with the too much air and needing to pull the air into the belly. Also, the belt being in the wrong position. One other factor which I had to fix was lowering the bar too slow as the weight got heavier. I was literally running out of oxygen by the time I'd hit depth and have too bail out early. I had to work on getting down quicker to fix the problem.

Lones Green
02-19-2011, 03:04 PM
I agree with the too but air and needing to pull the air into the belly. Also, the belt being in the wrong position. One other factor whic I had to fix was lowering the bar too slow as the weight got heavier. I was literally running out of oxygen by the time I'd hit depth and have too bail out early. I had to work on getting down quicker to fix the problem.

This is another big one that I had to work on. Forget that slow motion stuff, get down and get back up. But stay tight while you're doing it

theBarzeen
02-19-2011, 05:23 PM
If you are actually losing consciousness there's a problem...... try less air, more speed, and keep your chest and head up.

For me, as long as I keep good and upright I'm usually good, but if I pitch forward I get a lot of pressure in my head..... blow out blood vessels in my face and eyes, etc...

When I go heavy I get all sorts of foggy vision, light headed, etc... but haven't lost consciousness yet.

I know you're not alone though man.... I remember last year Logan Lacy pushing so hard under a squat his contacts popped out...... same guy who puked and passed out at Sr. Nats...... strong as all hell, solid form, no idea why that keeps happening to the guy.

thewookie
02-19-2011, 09:44 PM
If you are actually losing consciousness there's a problem...... try less air, more speed, and keep your chest and head up.

For me, as long as I keep good and upright I'm usually good, but if I pitch forward I get a lot of pressure in my head..... blow out blood vessels in my face and eyes, etc...

When I go heavy I get all sorts of foggy vision, light headed, etc... but haven't lost consciousness yet.

I know you're not alone though man.... I remember last year Logan Lacy pushing so hard under a squat his contacts popped out...... same guy who puked and passed out at Sr. Nats...... strong as all hell, solid form, no idea why that keeps happening to the guy.

Yeah, I've gone out cold twice, with a bunch of other times where I was just dizzy and didn't know where I was or what was going on. I may get it checked out (I'm already paying out the ass for healthcare up here, might as well use it) and see if there isn't something thats out of whack that can be fixed fairly easily.

I appreciate the help from all you guys. Thanks!

Brian C
02-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I dont believe anything is out of whack, but if it would make you feel better then go ahead and get looked at. But be prepared for all the usual doctor warnings. Ive almost going out more than once, and it was because of too much air in the chest. Its a pretty common thing

Ryan Celli
02-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Your holding your breathe too long. That's it. You need to adjust your breathing and wait longer before you take your breath and hold it.