PDA

View Full Version : Will I lose strength by doing cardio?

Kevin K
02-18-2011, 06:17 PM
My chiropractor recommended that I do some jogging for 20 minutes 3 times as a part of my rehab. I have to do this to correct the way I walk (my knee goes back when I walk). When should I do this, after lifting or on off days? Should I eat more to prevent strength loss?

Thanks

Parker 1995
02-18-2011, 06:23 PM
My chiropractor recommended that I do some jogging for 20 minutes 3 times as a part of my rehab. I have to do this to correct the way I walk (my knee goes back when I walk). When should I do this, after lifting or on off days? Should I eat more to prevent strength loss?

Thanks

I would do them on off days, or Do them in the mornings if you workout at night, or night if you workout in the moring, and If you eat enough each day you should not lose any muscel at all.

Dan Fanelli
02-18-2011, 07:02 PM

Thanks

You probably wont lose any strength, but I still wouldn't do it. Im not a chiropractor, but I cant imagine what would be wrong with you that jogging would help. If anything jogging is going to make it worse. Go with walking, hiking, swimming, or better resistance training.

shocker4221
02-18-2011, 08:31 PM
I agree with Dan, jogging, even on a treadmill causes unneccessary stress on the knees and other joints. I too have very bad knees and all my doctors, not chiros, said not to jog or run. I would also try walking with weights, bicycling, and swimming.

ScottYard
02-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Hit the elliptical or incline on the treadmill. Much less impact but effective. Complexes are nice too. Check the article on then out in the main page.

dechrist
02-19-2011, 07:45 AM
I do a fair bit of conditoning work and I powerlift and I haven't seen much of a decrease in strength. I'd join a yoga class and do some foam folling for rehab work and fasted walking in the am.

Just some suggestions.

Kevin K
02-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for all the help. He recommended that I jog because when I walk my knee goes back really far when my foot hits the ground because my posture sucks. He said jogging will improve my gait. I have been working on learning how to walk better and it's working. I really don't want to do any type of running, jogging, etc. anyway :)

RhodeHouse
02-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Whatever you do, pay attention to your stride. Cardio conditioning will not negatively affect you strength. I agree that jogging doesn't make sense, but, give it a shot. I'd opt for the treadmill on an incline and eliptical, like Scott recommended.

Off Road
02-21-2011, 08:00 AM
I would think that if you have a messed-up walking gate, then jogging would just increase the problem; bad gate and increased impact.

JoelJ
02-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I'd forget about the chiropractor and go visit a sports medicine doctor or a physiotherapist.

vdizenzo
02-25-2011, 12:25 PM
I agree with Joel. See a sports doc then get to a PT who works with ahletes.

Kevin K
02-26-2011, 05:02 PM
My gait has improved a lot. The chiropractor wanted me to walk on the treadmill to help my legs memorize the new gait.

Hazerboy
02-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Have you ever thought about doing any of this barefoot? Barefoot trainig has recieved a lot of hype lately, and I think a lot of people misuse it, but to me it does an awesome job of teaching your body how to walk/run efficiently and safely. Ever since i started barefoot walking/running I've noticed by running form do a 360 and my walk is more fluid as well. But remember to start slow! I usually run a few laps around the track before every lifting session.

theBarzeen
03-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I do a ton of cardio in the off season.

I compete from March until June this year, with maybe one or two more contests later in the year if something really cool comes along.

The rest of the year I use the day after my heavy squat/deadlift day to do strongman work and prowler sprints as well as several strongman medleys.

I lift better in contest because of the conditioning work, and I feel that I recover better by flushing everything out with some cardio.....

go for it.

KarstenDD
03-02-2011, 01:26 PM
... Should I eat more to prevent strength loss?...

Yes.

Beverly McD.
03-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Lower back fatigue may be a problem. I would suggest kicking back with your feet up, and an ice pack for the low back for half an hour or so, after you do cardio.

Captain Awesome
03-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I agree that you should stick to low impact cardio work. In fact, I often recommend it to healthy individuals. Something like elliptical work PWO @ 20min sessions 2-3x a week. It helps to get the blood flowing to your joints and muscles PWO to allow better recovery. I often recommend against doing it on PWO days because you want your down time. Although, I don't think it matters to any significant extent as long as your calorie requirements are met and you allow for adequate rest per your program. That all comes down to knowing your body.

And yes, you should definitely eat when recovering. Hell, you should eat all the time and only restrict it when you're maintaining or dieting down. Eat when you want strength. Eat when you want muscle. Eat when you want to lose body fat, but eat smart.