PDA

View Full Version : West Side Help

Parker 1995
02-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Hey Guys well Im back, and Im looking for some help With an Actual Westside template, I want to gain about 30 pounds for Football. Line Backer, and Full Back. I talked to Chris, and he said that my program, wasent any were near the actual template. So if anyone has trained at westside, or has the book can you help me out with the Program, and If not can someone help me with my template?
ME Upper
Bench
Barbell Pushups
rows???
rear delt flies
barbell shruggs
barbell curls

DE lower
Power cleans
split squats
hyper extensions
leg raises

Rep Upper
Bench Press
Chin ups
rear delt flies
Millitary press
barbell shruggs
hammer curls
thick bar hold

ME lower
box squats
lunges
hypers
ab circuit

I know you guys are thinking I always switch my program up, well I like westside, and I want a program that will actually help me! So if you guys can help me thanks!

Dan Fanelli
02-20-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/westside-barbell-basic-template-469668.html

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/meeting-the-iron.htm

http://www.clutchfitness.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3736

Theres a lot of information out there, and it can be pretty confusing in the beginning. Even if you have the Book of Methods, you'll still be confused. Theres also a lot of conflicting information because the program has changed over the years, and people will tell you beginners and RAW individuals should train one way or the other. Do a lot of research, and then start with the basic template and make adjustments as you go.

Also, you could consider doing WS4SB as its probably more in line with your goals.

And Travis or one of the othe Westside guys might have some better links for you.

Parker 1995
02-20-2011, 09:44 PM
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/westside-barbell-basic-template-469668.html

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/meeting-the-iron.htm

http://www.clutchfitness.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3736

Theres a lot of information out there, and it can be pretty confusing in the beginning. Even if you have the Book of Methods, you'll still be confused. Theres also a lot of conflicting information because the program has changed over the years, and people will tell you beginners and RAW individuals should train one way or the other. Do a lot of research, and then start with the basic template and make adjustments as you go.

Also, you could consider doing WS4SB as its probably more in line with your goals.

And Travis or one of the othe Westside guys might have some better links for you.

Thanks man that helps alot!

Parker 1995
02-20-2011, 10:05 PM
is this good?
Max Effort Squat:

1) Max Effort Movement: (Squat or Deadlift Variation:1-3rm, followed by rep work; ex.2x3@80%)

2) Supplemental: Some sort of pull (deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, rack pulls, 1-5rm)

3) Accessory: (hamstrings, lower back, abs pick a handful of exercises for 2-4 sets of 10 reps each)

Glute Ham Raises
Pullthroughs
Hyperextensions
Reverse Hypers
Lat Pulldowns
Hip Abductions
Abs/Obs

4) Sled Dragging

Max Effort Bench:

1) Max Effort Movement: (Bench Variation) 1rm, followed by rep work; ex.2x3@80%)

2) Supplemental: Triceps (Board/Floor Presses, 1-3rm)

3) Accessories: (shoulders, lats, triceps, biceps)
Overhead Work
Barbell Rows
Dumbell Tricep Extensions
Biceps

Speed Squat Day:

1) Speed Box Squats: 12 sets of 2 reps with 60% best box squat. Very fast and good form. at the end work up some if you feel good. 60 sec rest between sets

2) Supplemental:Goodmornings: 5rm

3) Accessory: (hamstrings, lower back, abs pick a handful of exercises for 2-4 sets of 10 reps each)
Glute Ham Raises
Pullthroughs
Hyperextensions
Reverse Hypers
Lat Pulldowns
Hip Abductions
Abs/Obs

4) Sled Dragging

Speed Bench Day:

1) Speed Bench: 9 sets of 3 reps with 60% best bench press. Very fast and good form 60 sec rest between sets

2) Supplemental: Close grip bench for a 5rm

3) Accessories: (medial delts, lats, triceps, biceps)
Pull-ups or Lat Pulldowns
Dumbell Tricep Extensions
Rear & Medial Delts: Shrugs, High Pulls, Dumbell Cleans, Lateral Raises, Face Pulls (pick 1-2 exercises for 4-6 sets total)
Biceps

Don't forget:

Monday: ME SQUAT/DEADLIFT
Tuesday: OFF
Wednesday: ME BENCH
Thursday: OFF
Friday: DE SQUAT/DEADLIFT
Saturday: OFF
Sunday: DE BENCH

Parker 1995
02-20-2011, 10:19 PM
another great article westside do u think its good? http://www.clutchfitness.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7789

Dan Fanelli
02-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Looks pretty good to me. A couple of things I would change/consider....

1)You may or may not be able to handle the supplemental lifts on ME days. If its too much work, you can just go from ME work straight into accessory work.
2)You dont have to stick with one set supplemental exercise. Instead, you can work it for a few weeks and try to beat it each time, and then switch it out for something similar yet different.
3)After you work up to your ME for the day, instead of 2x3, consider taking 80% of that daily max, and doing 1-2 sets of as many reps as you can (avoid failure if possible). This gives you the possiblity of breaking 2 PR's per day.
4) You may want to include some unilateral training and other things from WS4SBs depending on how far out you are from football. Especially if you aren't training with the team at the moment. Getting into some sprints and jumping ahead of everyone else wouldn't hurt.

Other than all of that, it looks like a great start. Dont get caught up too much with exercise selection. If you can figure out your weaknesses start attacking those. And the mistake a lot of people make is they put too much emphasis on the accessory work, and not enough on the important stuff. The ME, DE, and supplemental stuff is where your effort should be. The accessory stuff is just to get the volume in.

Oh and most important of all EAT BIG. 30lbs is a lot of weight to gain, and a program like Westside is great for it, but its going to take a lot of food. Good luck!!

RhodeHouse
02-21-2011, 07:31 AM
If you're an athlete, don't do Westside. It's can work, but it's not designed for a football player. It's designed for powerlifters.

I would follow 5/3/1 as it's SIMPLE and effective and answers any and all questions you could possibly have. Not to mention, there is a book specifically written for football.

If you're trying to pack on muscle, speed work is not going to help, nor is max effort work. And, as an athlete, the weight room is not going to make you a better player. It's going to help you get bigger and stronger and less injury prone. Westside will beat you up. I tried using Westside when I played Arena ball and it destroyed me. i went back to a Bigger Faster Stronger workout, because that's all I knew about back then. Looking back, it was a great decision.

I just looked at how old you are. You should DEFINATELY NOT DO WESTSIDE. At 15, you need to concentrate on doing rep work and building a base of conditioning. Westside will not accomplish this for you. If you can't afford the $20 5/3/1 for Football book, I'll write your program for you and walk you through it.

-JM-
02-21-2011, 08:35 AM
If you can't afford the $20 5/3/1 for Football book, I'll write your program for you and walk you through it.

Hell of an offer. Classy move to help the kid out like that.

joey54
02-21-2011, 09:02 AM
If you're an athlete, don't do Westside. It's can work, but it's not designed for a football player. It's designed for powerlifters.

I would follow 5/3/1 as it's SIMPLE and effective and answers any and all questions you could possibly have. Not to mention, there is a book specifically written for football.

If you're trying to pack on muscle, speed work is not going to help, nor is max effort work. And, as an athlete, the weight room is not going to make you a better player. It's going to help you get bigger and stronger and less injury prone. Westside will beat you up. I tried using Westside when I played Arena ball and it destroyed me. i went back to a Bigger Faster Stronger workout, because that's all I knew about back then. Looking back, it was a great decision.

I just looked at how old you are. You should DEFINATELY NOT DO WESTSIDE. At 15, you need to concentrate on doing rep work and building a base of conditioning. Westside will not accomplish this for you. If you can't afford the $20 5/3/1 for Football book, I'll write your program for you and walk you through it.

Matt how do you feel about the DeFranco stuff for athletes?

RhodeHouse
02-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Matt how do you feel about the DeFranco stuff for athletes?

I think Joe's stuff is great. It's just simple, straight-forward training and that's all kids need.

vdizenzo
02-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Everything you ever need to know about Westside. Click on the link.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7877659/

Parker 1995
02-21-2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks man I appreciate it ill PM you.

Parker 1995
02-21-2011, 09:29 AM

haha was that a joke? Either way i thought it was pretty funny... Thanks for the Link

paleopower
02-21-2011, 10:52 AM

Funny ****

paleopower
02-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I think Joe's stuff is great. It's just simple, straight-forward training and that's all kids need.

X2--DeFranco's stuff is solid

I myself follow Westside style trainiing, but would not run a 15 y/o down that road

Off Road
02-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Poor Parker...He went from crappy bodypart split routine, to HCT-12, to some kind of 5x5, to Westside, to Starting Strength, back to Westside, and finally 5/3/1.

Should start Starting Strength and stick to it for about 6 months, then some sort of 5x5 routine after that, and finally 5/3/1 after that. Just my 2 cents...

Dan Fanelli
02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Poor Parker...He went from crappy bodypart split routine, to HCT-12, to some kind of 5x5, to Westside, to Starting Strength, back to Westside, and finally 5/3/1.

Should start Starting Strength and stick to it for about 6 months, then some sort of 5x5 routine after that, and finally 5/3/1 after that. Just my 2 cents...

Ya program jumping is going to be your worst enemy Parker. I know how you feel though. Some of these programs are hard as hell to stick with.

But you MUST have a good amount of consistancy if you want to progress, ESPECIALLY at your level. You can still accomplish this with training ADD, but you need to keep things simple. Maybe work on improving your 1-3RM for three different lifts. Bench, squat and deadlift would be a good idea. It doesn't matter if you switch up the progam or the methods, your PR's go with you. So if on SS you got up to benching 175x5, and then go into Westside you NEED to try to beat 175x5.

Another thing that can help especially for you, is to set some deadlines. If you have some strong people around you (especially spotters) it will work. To start out, make a goal and a deadline. Maybe you are going to bench 205 in 4 weeks. There are no if's, and's or but's about it. You are going to do it. You practice the lift, and you make sure you are progressing toward that goal. In a month from now, you either do it, or you fail.

Parker 1995
02-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Ya program jumping is going to be your worst enemy Parker. I know how you feel though. Some of these programs are hard as hell to stick with.

But you MUST have a good amount of consistancy if you want to progress, ESPECIALLY at your level. You can still accomplish this with training ADD, but you need to keep things simple. Maybe work on improving your 1-3RM for three different lifts. Bench, squat and deadlift would be a good idea. It doesn't matter if you switch up the progam or the methods, your PR's go with you. So if on SS you got up to benching 175x5, and then go into Westside you NEED to try to beat 175x5.

Another thing that can help especially for you, is to set some deadlines. If you have some strong people around you (especially spotters) it will work. To start out, make a goal and a deadline. Maybe you are going to bench 205 in 4 weeks. There are no if's, and's or but's about it. You are going to do it. You practice the lift, and you make sure you are progressing toward that goal. In a month from now, you either do it, or you fail.
Thanks man I just want to get a good program that I like, and I am making porgress on all programs cause im raletivly new to the lifting scene.

NickAus
02-21-2011, 03:43 PM
I agree with the people saying westside is not the best thing for you at this point.

If your deadlift is 185 then speed pulls at 70% would be 130lb.........8 singles at 130 is not going to help you get bigger and stronger.

Listen to these guys that have been lifting for years and have solid numbers.

Also the knife and fork are you best friends, you should be eating as you type up these questions!

Good luck!

Parker 1995
02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
I agree with the people saying westside is not the best thing for you at this point.

If your deadlift is 185 then speed pulls at 70% would be 130lb.........8 singles at 130 is not going to help you get bigger and stronger.

Listen to these guys that have been lifting for years and have solid numbers.

Also the knife and fork are you best friends, you should be eating as you type up these questions!

Good luck!

Thanks man im gonna be working with 5/3/1

Bosshogg300
02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
this is a good article ive read and refer to time to time when i have a question and or a refresher but check it out it will anwser all your questions but heres the link hope it helps http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/westside-barbell-wsb-faq-primer-485278.html

BloodandThunder
02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Listen to Rhodes. Simplicity is where it's at. I did WS in HS when I powerlifted all year round, but I was playing 3 sports during each season as well. It was very hard but I was fortunate to have had a PLing coach who knew Dave Tate, Louie, and the WS system very well. He kept things incredibly simple and it got kids strong without tiring them out for other sports. Our workouts were never longer than an hour and lots of GPP work like sled pulling and prowler work (we had a first edition-prototype) for the PLers who did sports. Would I have done this or even known how to if I trained myself, hell no.

If you're by yourself, take advantage of youth and go with something incredibly simple. Work on form, eating, and getting your conditioning in without overkill. It's really good you're reading about all types of systems to use. Something I wish I did years ago. 5/3/1, SS, and 5x5 are all pretty proven systems for someone in your shoes who needs to gain weight and condition at the same time.

RhodeHouse
02-23-2011, 09:41 AM
1. Pick a program. It doesn't really matter what program, just pick one. I like 5/3/1 because it's easy, simple and all of your future questions are answered in the FAQ. I forget who said this, but stick with it. I'd stick with it for 5 years before you change. No joke. Work it. Use it. Let it be your guide. If you jump around, you'll never learn what works.

2. Knife and fork are your best friends. I think Nick said this. So true.

3. Consistency - this is the ONLY way you'll ever succeed in the weightroom, or in life, for that matter. See things though to the bitter end.

4. Squat, bench, deadlift, military press, pull-ups, dips, bent rows, cleans - no matter what program you do, these should be staples. If they are not, the program sucks.

5. Keep your main lifts in the 3-5 rep range. Keep your assistance stuff in the 10-20 rep range.

6. If you're worried about assistance work, your program will fail. The big stuff is all that really matters. On squat day, if you don't know what you should do for assistance work, you should just keep squatting. If you know what to do, you'll keep squatting. What's going to bring better results? GHR's, RH, Pull-Through's or 20 sets of squats? I know the answer. Same goes for benching, pulling and military pressing.

7. Make your back strong! Pull-ups and bent rows. Anything else and you're not working the pull-ups and bent rows hard enough. Deadlifting, bent rows and squatting will take care of the lower back.

8. Do twice as many back exercises as pressing exercises. ie: 5 sets of benches and 10 sets of rowing.

9. I wish I knew this stuff at your age. I'm not even kidding one bit. In a way I did know this, but it wasn't laid out and reiterated by so many people. My dad had a BB and some weights in our barn. He used to tell me to do pull-ups on the rafters, squat, overhead press, deadlift.. He never said how many sets or reps, just to go do it. So, I did. The old man was right.

DerekJWade
02-23-2011, 09:21 PM
West side works well for athletes NFL players and NFL future prospects come there to add strength and speed to their stats before the combines.
It is simple you have your 4 days DE lower adn ME lower and DE upper and ME upper as an ahtlete focus on doign all these moves raw especually the speed squats with accomadating resistance such as bands and chains let me know if you want more info because it willl jack up your explosive power, speed and strength especually sine you are new to it.

NickAus
02-23-2011, 09:43 PM
He is young and deadlifts 185, do not confuse him...

I bet if he takes Rhodes advice in 3 or 4 years he will be WAY bigger and stronger.

Eat Parker EAT and train the legs and back hard!