PDA

View Full Version : Short term lean up

greemah
02-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi all

I have started bulking recently so my abs immediately disappeared kind of (I guess due to water and bloat from extra carbs etc). I have a big day of swimming coming up soon so was wondering if there was anything I could do like the day before or on the day to have my body temporarily lean up and have full muscles for the day?

Off Road
02-21-2011, 01:44 PM
A one day body transformation?
Good luck with that...

Kiff
02-21-2011, 01:54 PM
A one day body transformation?
Good luck with that...

Second this

I know some bodybuilders prep by dehydrating themselves for 24hours but tbh you would be stupid to do that before activity like swimming. If you cant deal with the extra fat and no abs dont bulk so quickly. Fact.

greemah
02-21-2011, 01:59 PM
No just refering to things like water weight etc or carb depletion or that kind of thing. Basically just getting rid of the bloat that you get when you start a bulk (not actual fat)

thatNUCKOLSkid
02-21-2011, 02:31 PM
cutting carbs and sodium for the day or two before will make a difference, but not in a huge way.

tom183
02-21-2011, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't want to be carb depleted or dehydrated for a 'big day of swimming'.

Behemoth
02-21-2011, 03:46 PM
How far away is the day?

Codeguru
02-21-2011, 03:46 PM
I would say torso muscle building exercises. I doubt there's anyway to get your abs back in a day but for the future the more muscle you add to your chest, your abs, your obliques, your lats, your back muscles, and even your shoulders to some degree will push the fat out and tighten the skin in the correct muscular form. Thus making the act of bulking less annoying because the fat will show less. Even with my piddly muscle amount I've noticed it start to happen. I never could have gained 15-20 pounds in the past and still have my ab bulges showing...

Codeguru

f=ma
02-21-2011, 04:53 PM
liposuction

bradley
02-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Just don't worry so much about your abdominals. If you are that concerned with your bf percentage you should just postpone your bulk until after the season is over. Although personally, I could care less if my abs are showing.

greemah
02-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks for your replies. It is tuesday now and the day is saturday. I have decided I am going to load sodium and water today and tomorrow while lowering carbs, then carb up on thur and fri while cutting sodium and lowering water. Will let you know if it ends up making a difference..

Behemoth
02-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Don't **** with the sodium or the water. Eat very little between now and then, say 1000 below maintenance and very few carbs. 4-8 hours prior eat a couple very large meals with a high carb intake. You dry out and fill back up better doing that for these few days than trying to manipulate sodium which many competing bbers don't even mess with these days.

greemah
02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Really why is that (re sodium and water)? Hmm not sure I'm too keen on the idea of eating that low cals, I'm only on 2300 as it is. Would I get much result if I just cut carbs prior to the day (except post workout) then had a huge carb meal for breakfast (and maybe cut to 2000cal)?

Behemoth
02-21-2011, 07:43 PM
I guarantee it would be the more productive route to look good for a half day - day. But I'm indifferent to what you do, your call. Good luck.

greemah
02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Ok so you think it would be worth eating 1500cal wed, thur, fri with under 100g carbs, then have a high cal high carb meal on sat morning?

I have workout before sat (not including todays but its too late to start this diet for today), can I have carbs post workout (which would put it over 100g for that day)?

Codeguru
02-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Ok so you think it would be worth eating 1500cal wed, thur, fri with under 100g carbs, then have a high cal high carb meal on sat morning?

I have workout before sat (not including todays but its too late to start this diet for today), can I have carbs post workout (which would put it over 100g for that day)?

Eat like a crazy person the day before so you have time to metabolize it. I notice the instant energy I get from food but it's nothing compared to the next day after it's going through my system. If nothing else eat well Friday evening...

Codeguru

Off Road
02-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't even worry about it. Show off what you got and try to be in better shape next year, it's too late to worry about it now.

Behemoth
02-22-2011, 04:09 AM
Eat like a crazy person the day before so you have time to metabolize it. I notice the instant energy I get from food but it's nothing compared to the next day after it's going through my system. If nothing else eat well Friday evening...

Codeguru

Don't do this.

Behemoth
02-22-2011, 04:29 AM

Look, unless you already look somewhat presentable you're not going to be able to do a lot in a short timespan. If you have a good bit of muscle mass with bodyfat that isn't too high you can manipulate though. If you do and it's actually worth starving yourself for a few days you'll look the best aiming to deplete as much as possible before then. I would eat 0 carbs and probably even less than 1500cals. You're not going to go catabolic in just a few days. Keep your protein high. I would say about 6 hours before your event eat a big meal with a normal amount of protein and 300-400g carbs and then again an hour or so before. Stuff like soft pretzels or white pasta would be great. If you're adamant about messing with the water I would simply not worry about it until the day before. Just drink your normal amount up until a day before and reduce it then. Still drink it but only when you really need it. You'll also find it very uncomfortable to consume the large amounts of carbs on the day of without drinking water but nobody said it would be fun.

Codeguru
02-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Don't do this.

Why not? It always helps me with energy. Unless swimming energy is somehow different...

Codeguru

Off Road
02-22-2011, 12:08 PM
I am a Doubting Thomas...
If you try this stuff out, please take before and after pics. I just have my doubts that it will be worth the effort at any level short of pre contest. But I could be wrong, so prove it to me.

Behemoth
02-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Why not? It always helps me with energy. Unless swimming energy is somehow different...

Codeguru

Because he wants to look good. What you suggested (given no prior depletion) will just make him look more bloated and fat than not messing with anything to begin with. It was really bad advice.

I am a Doubting Thomas...
If you try this stuff out, please take before and after pics. I just have my doubts that it will be worth the effort at any level short of pre contest. But I could be wrong, so prove it to me.

Pretty much yeah. The right tricks are night and day if the conditioning is already present but if it isn't any average person isn't going to be able to spot any change. The OP might and consequently have more pool confidence so in that regard it could be worthwhile.

Codeguru
02-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Because he wants to look good. What you suggested (given no prior depletion) will just make him look more bloated and fat than not messing with anything to begin with. It was really bad advice.

Pretty much yeah. The right tricks are night and day if the conditioning is already present but if it isn't any average person isn't going to be able to spot any change. The OP might and consequently have more pool confidence so in that regard it could be worthwhile.

Eating something the day before always leaves me with energy and there's no way it's adding that much fat that fast. The abs muscles might be slightly pushed forward the day he ate but they would show as lean if it were even possible to get them lean that fast. Given 12-24 hours there's no visible "bloating" left any time I eat like that, so I don't know what you're talking about...

Codeguru

Behemoth
02-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Eating something the day before always leaves me with energy and there's no way it's adding that much fat that fast. The abs muscles might be slightly pushed forward the day he ate but they would show as lean if it were even possible to get them lean that fast. Given 12-24 hours there's no visible "bloating" left any time I eat like that, so I don't know what you're talking about...

Codeguru
I wouldn't expect you to know what I'm talking about.