PDA

View Full Version : Hypoglycemia

synonymous
02-22-2011, 02:38 AM
Does anyone suffer from (Or maybe used to or know someone who does)?

According to my doctor I have stress induced hypoglycemia. It wasn't until I almost passed out during a speech (And thought it was a stroke) that I took a closer look at why I was feeling the way I was. The doctor recommended hard candy. My blood work showed no other possible reasons for what was happening. I told him I had ample supplies of dextrose (Results that I bought but haven't used) Results levels me out if my blood sugar takes a dive. I've used it for the last month and it really does the job.

While I try to get my stress (Diet and routine) under control, I'm wondering if I'm wasting my Results by splitting the servings into 2? The half serving is all it takes to bring my blood sugar up. I'm not in the gym this month. I should be next month (Should meaning MUST). Any reason I can't have an extra half serving or full serving if I've already had my regular serving in the morning? I know that diet is best and in time I hope to get it under control this way...the stress inducing usually happens during the weekend seminars I have. During the week, diet is much easier to control and there's far less stress.

I'd buy dextrose by itself, but I haven't been able to find it where I live. I'm overseas (Away from the U.S) so I'm in unfamiliar territory with food on occasion.

Behemoth
02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
I go hypoglycemic fairly frequently. I actually just did today. I haven't been able to isolate exact circumstances that are my cause.

Though results would definitely work given the dextrose in it, it would not be my primary choice. There's no for creatine or the other ergogens during a hypoglycemic spell. Pickup some glucose tablets from a pharmacy and/or keep some juice handy and save the results for it's intended use to be taken once daily for it's anabolic properties.

synonymous
02-22-2011, 07:53 PM
I go hypoglycemic fairly frequently. I actually just did today. I haven't been able to isolate exact circumstances that are my cause.

Though results would definitely work given the dextrose in it, it would not be my primary choice. There's no for creatine or the other ergogens during a hypoglycemic spell. Pickup some glucose tablets from a pharmacy and/or keep some juice handy and save the results for it's intended use to be taken once daily for it's anabolic properties.

What do you mean by 'there's no creating or the other erogogens'? Do these work against a hypoglycemic spell?

Do the glucose tabs require a prescription?

Behemoth
02-22-2011, 08:01 PM
What do you mean by 'there's no creating or the other erogogens'? Do these work against a hypoglycemic spell?

Do the glucose tabs require a prescription?

I apologize, I meant to say there's no use for creatine or the other ergogens contained in results (beta alanine and hmb) to bring you out of the hypoglycemic spell when really the dextrose is all you need. Don't take this to mean it can't work, the dextrose is quite perfect for the job.

Glucose tabs do not require a prescription. Any pharmacy or even walmart should have them, they will likely be in the same aisle and arranged with diabetic supplies and supplements.

Holto
02-25-2011, 03:27 PM
I think a good meal with complex carbs before these "stress periods" is a better solution.

Taking dextrose away from training can negatively impact your insulin sensitivity, resting insulin and blood sugar levels and overall make you more susceptible to bouts of low blood sugar.

joelhall
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
I suffer from reactive hypoglycaemia, which is a fairly common hypoglycaemic condition, and some peole really just 'use up' sugar faser than others.

Eating plenty of protein and fats tends to prevent hypo spells, especially in the mornings where I avoid lots of carbs like the plague, but I always take glucose tablets and sweets around just in case.

Just remember that glycaemic load is often overlooked in favour of glycaemic index - helps to be weary of your carbohydrate intake and not go overboard.