PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a cutting diet in my routine.

Goatofthunder
02-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Hi.

I am trying to cut as many people right now.
The thing is that i have a very tight schedule in my work and in not home until late in the evening useually.
Even though i would LOVE having only steaks, chicken breasts an othe lean sources of protein for dinner every day, my wife, family, vollet and time don't. So here is my question, I know that keeping carbs to a minumum late in the day is a good way to loose fat, if i eat 100% clean during the day and before bedtime, oat meal, whey , tuna, fruits and eggs, dried fish peanutbutter and whole breads for example will the "regular" dinner hurt my progress? I am keeping my overall kcal in check, its just the fact that some time my dinner is not optimal, containing carbs, chease and other "unclean" sources of food.....

Behemoth
02-25-2011, 09:29 AM
You need to focus on the amount of food not source of food. Clean calories are better but you have to limit the amount that you eat regardless of what it is.

thatNUCKOLSkid
02-25-2011, 02:24 PM
if you're that busy during the day, why not try intermittent fasting? it worked really well for me. you can get a lot of info here: www.leangains.com

if not, just keep your protein up and make sure to cut back on calories overall. having carbs later in the day isn't necessarily a bad thing. now, if you eat carbs directly prior to sleeping, it'll blunt your biggest GH pulse when you fall asleep, but overall a calorie is a calorie. if you have the option, concentrate your carbs around workouts, but if you don't, it won't kill you as long as your overall calorie intake is below maintenance.

Dan Fanelli
02-25-2011, 02:44 PM
You need to focus on the amount of food not source of food. Clean calories are better but you have to limit the amount that you eat regardless of what it is.

This is probably the best bet for you..... The "clean" vs. "dirty" thing is not what the media has made it out to be. There are a lot of carb sources that I wold consider "clean", and cheese isn't necessarily "dirty".

The more important thing that I dont think you mentioned is are you "overweight". Are you trying to lose a specific and significant number of pounds, or are you just a little "soft".

If for example you want to lose 30lbs, then the "cleanness" of food isn't a big issue. QUANTITY is all thats going to really matter.

As a side note, you may want to look into www.leangains.com its a method of intermittant fasting, and might work pretty well with your scheduling.

Behemoth
02-25-2011, 03:15 PM
In case you missed it intermittent fasting can be found @ www.leangains.com

Goatofthunder
02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
In case you missed it intermittent fasting can be found @ www.leangains.com

I must admite, i dont realy get the approach, can any one summaries it please :(?
Is there a chanse i can use my buisy lifestyle to an advantage by fasting??

Behemoth
02-25-2011, 04:02 PM
It means you eat 2 or 3 large meals in a relatively short timespan (compared to normal meal spacing) and fast the rest of the day.

Goatofthunder
02-25-2011, 04:11 PM
It means you eat 2 or 3 large meals in a relatively short timespan (compared to normal meal spacing) and fast the rest of the day.

That seems to go againt everything i have read berfore. Not saying it┤s wrong and i am going to read it better.
Are there many of you that have tried that?

Behemoth
02-25-2011, 04:18 PM
I've tried it. It taught me that you don't waste away when fasting a significant portion of the day and that meal spacing that accommodates ones lifestyle is more important than any study citing the need to eat every "x" amount of hours.

I would recommend trying it if you think it could be applicable for yourself.

Goatofthunder
02-25-2011, 04:23 PM
I've tried it. It taught me that you don't waste away when fasting a significant portion of the day and that meal spacing that accommodates ones lifestyle is more important than any study citing the need to eat every "x" amount of hours.

I would recommend trying it if you think it could be applicable for yourself.

As i said, it sounds very weird to me, but still some thing that would be very easy to do!
For exam­le, eating a BIG breakfest, lunch and dinner would be a good idea and just fast between?
I must say, i loke the idea!
f you did this and look the way you do, i am realy interested in trying this.
How ever i think doing this during this on workout days would be hard...
I

Behemoth
02-25-2011, 04:36 PM
IF wouldn't be a big breakfast, lunch, and dinner. IF is less spaced out and more about cramming in all your days food in just a few hours and fasting the rest of the day.

But really it doesn't matter. The take home point that I learned when experimenting with this style was just that. The total amount of calories you consume throughout the course of the day is still ultimately what matters. There's debate that intermittent fasting is actually even more beneficial for optimal body composition since the calories are consumed around ones workout. That part I cannot personally verify and am still pretty suspect of. The take home point for me was that making the amount of food that you were allotted to diet on doesn't much matter how it is divided into meals throughout the day.

thatNUCKOLSkid
02-28-2011, 10:59 PM
just run a quick google search of it for information. i like martin's blog because he backs up the majority of what he says with research and studies (very refreshing for the nerdy type like me). behemoth is right though, how much you eat is ultimately the most important thing. i just saw from the initial post that your main problem was the late "dirty" meal with your family. i just thought intermittent fasting may be a useful tool you could use in your specific situation, simply because if you're going to have that big meal anyways, it's difficult to eat very much above maintenance if you're fitting all your calories in a 6-8 hour window.

Goatofthunder
03-01-2011, 01:33 AM
i am on my second day of the program today.
yesterday was very hard. i amused to eatevery 2 hours so not getting my breakfest was a shock, but then i became sort of used to it. i ate 1200 kscal for my first meal and felt very tired aftwrwards :s
i cant help but feel this is bad for my muscles, but im gona keep on going and see wherre it takes me.

thatNUCKOLSkid
03-01-2011, 06:51 AM
if anything, the research indicates that intermittent fasting is more anabolic than eating every 2-3 hours. your body understands a signal to store protein when blood amino levels spike above baseline. by eating every 2-3 hours, your blood amino levels never return to a true baseline except when you're sleeping, and chronically elevated blood amino levels actually make it more difficult for your body to store protein.

Goatofthunder
03-01-2011, 08:57 AM
ok, i just had my first workout after starting the program. 3 hours had passed since i ate my first meal of the day. Approx 600 kcal. What amased me
was all the energy i had! I useually eat about 350 kcal q hour before, but now i had more energy :) after only one meal! It all makes sense now. If you only have 3 meals aday, its easier to make sure that they contain what you need, "d only what you need! I had a 850 kcal post shake afterwards wich was delisious:)

thatNUCKOLSkid
03-01-2011, 02:04 PM
glad to hear you're liking it thus far!