PDA

View Full Version : Do you front squat or full squat?

K-R-M
02-26-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm wondering how many powerlifters here do forms of front squatting (either standart, with front squat harness, on box, etc.) or full squats that are well under parallel.

And if you do, why? What effect did it have on your lifts?

Brian Hopper
02-26-2011, 08:25 PM
I'll mess around with front squats every now and then for assistance. I always do them light and for about 5 reps. I don't take it serious, it's more for fun and something different to do.

Mark!
02-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Both FTW.

hulk242
02-27-2011, 06:23 AM
I love the front squat. Just pure brute power. It helps my deadlift and squat. It really hits my thighs like nothing else and fighting to stay upright really carries over to the squat. I also do ATG back squats. This is a lot different from my regular raw squat. I sit back and am a wide stance raw squatter. This is another variation that brings balance to my squat strength. Again, they also carry over to the deadlift.

jtteg_x
02-27-2011, 08:36 AM
not sure if i can say front squats helped my lifts. i do them in goals for quad size and Hopper said above^

Dan Fanelli
02-27-2011, 10:26 AM
A small hi-jack here, but its on topic. I believe my quad strength is lacking, because when doing deadlifts I have trouble getting the bar moving unless I start with my hips pretty high. I do a lot of deadlifting, and box squatting like a powerlifter. But I think I might need some assistance exercises to address this weakness. Would front squats be the bets bet? or something else?

thatNUCKOLSkid
02-27-2011, 12:43 PM
front squats helped my leg drive a lot for pulling sumo, and improve my ability to keep my upper back tight on the squat. they also beat the crap out of your core, in a good way.

@dan fanelli - your problem could be caused by any number of things. you could be starting with the bar too close or far away from your shins, you may not be pulling the slack out of the bar before you break the floor, or you could just have long legs and need to start with your hips higher. however, IF it is a quad weakness, front squats are great. really deep SSB squats (with or without a box) may be slightly better because you can load them up a little heavier and they're a little easier on your shoulders. leg presses with the same foot placement as you pull can help too, because body position is similar.

K-R-M
02-27-2011, 01:11 PM
front squats helped my leg drive a lot for pulling sumo, and improve my ability to keep my upper back tight on the squat. they also beat the crap out of your core, in a good way.

@dan fanelli - your problem could be caused by any number of things. you could be starting with the bar too close or far away from your shins, you may not be pulling the slack out of the bar before you break the floor, or you could just have long legs and need to start with your hips higher. however, IF it is a quad weakness, front squats are great. really deep SSB squats (with or without a box) may be slightly better because you can load them up a little heavier and they're a little easier on your shoulders. leg presses with the same foot placement as you pull can help too, because body position is similar.

I know that in my case, when my front and deep back squat go up, so do my wide stance squats and deadlifts. I am going to do a few training cycles of front squats and deep squats with a few lighter reps of wide stance and box squats to keep working on technique. I'll see what happens with that.

hulk242
02-27-2011, 01:55 PM

Good advice. Front squats are great for the deadlift! Rotate them and safety bar 10" box squats, for reps of 5-10, before or afer your deadlifting. Occassionally work up heavier as well.

Dan Fanelli
02-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks thatNUCKOLSkid, front squats and leg press are two things that I do not enjoy. Guess I need to learn to love em.

Tom Mutaffis
02-27-2011, 03:55 PM
I am not a powerlifter but I almost exclusively do Front Squats unless I am doing high-rep work or overload work. Front Squats seem to have helped with my speed off the floor on deadlift, so if that is a weak point for you then you may want to consider adding them in. They are also easier on the lower back than Back Squats.

Fuzzy
02-28-2011, 04:52 AM
I strongly reccomend people split their front/back work evenly. The leg size you can put on from that is beyond insane.