PDA

View Full Version : The real food pyramid.

ThomasG
02-27-2011, 04:03 PM
I give this to most of my clients that want to increase muscular hypertrophy and/or drop bf% aka they tell me that want to "Tone"

I do tell them the specialty supplements are not necessary. Again this is for the person who wants to add LBM with minimal fat gain. Lose bf% with little LBM loss or for the noob who wants to do both at the same time. 99% of people that bring me their food logs for the first time are eating 60%+ carbs. This food pyramid is a way to teach them they need to back off. Granola, yogurt and special K bars are no the optimal way to drop bf %

Thoughts?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/xtgrovex/TheNewFoodPyramid.jpg

f=ma
02-27-2011, 04:12 PM
its a huge improvement over the average person's dietary understanding. ppl often think they will look great by eating "healthy choice" and cereal bars.. which, really, are very poor food choices if you examine the label.

i have only two comments about the chart itself... 1) fast carbs shouldnt even be in there, 2) i would be specific with what is actually in the whole grain category and i would have put that above healthy fats. the fact that fats are above carbs suggests that there should be more fat intake than carb intake in terms of calories or gram.. which I would disagree with in its intended purpose

but.. despite the above, i like it. should put that in the diet FAQ

ThomasG
02-27-2011, 04:21 PM
its a huge improvement over the average person's dietary understanding. ppl often think they will look great by eating "healthy choice" and cereal bars.. which, really, are very poor food choices if you examine the label.

i have only two comments about the chart itself... 1) fast carbs shouldnt even be in there, 2) i would be specific with what is actually in the whole grain category and i would have put that above healthy fats. the fact that fats are above carbs suggests that there should be more fat intake than carb intake in terms of calories or gram.. which I would disagree with in its intended purpose

but.. despite the above, i like it. should put that in the diet FAQ

Fast carbs are in there to cover all area's and imo fine in moderation, there's a reason they have the smallest section. I usually start people out on a 40/35/25 split pro/car/fat. A lot of times people do better on 40/25/35. I usually try a moderate carb approach before dipping below 35% carbs.

ironwill727
02-27-2011, 04:27 PM
I like that pyramid. The food pyramid people are used to will lead to nothing but obesity and diabetes. As for whole grains besides oatmeal and some cereals there is not much good in bread products.

ThomasG
02-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Keep in mind guys the suggestions are not fully comprehensive just suggestions. If it were up to me I would change some things as well like take the cheese picture out of the protein section. However, I realize that the pyramid is not fully comprehensive more so a guideline.