PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Guys Do For Flexibility/Mobility Work?

Hobo Beard
02-28-2011, 01:18 PM
If you have seen my recent threads about my deadlift form and the videos I posted, I think it's clear I have a flexibility/mobility problem.

Adam has been a great help to me and recommended glutes bridges among other movements, so I thought I'd add to my flexibility/mobility warm-up/program with your guys added suggestions.

I did a search for both "flexibility" and "mobility" and didn't find any threads which would already answer my questions, but if any of you guys know of any, please direct me to them.

So, what do you guys do for flexibility/mobility work?

gmen5681
02-28-2011, 02:24 PM
i do tons of foam rolling, before training, after training, before bed, when im sore, and a lot of LAX work too. then just standard stretching pre and post training. there are some awesome mobility articles over on elitefts.com

Paul Sousa
02-28-2011, 03:26 PM
I've used these three stretches for a while and my hips have never felt better.

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/02/3-stretches/

I also do a good amount of calf stretching since my calves get real tight.

MarcusWild
02-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Joe DeFranco has some good videos on youtube for it. There's one for lower body and one for upper body.

NickAus
02-28-2011, 05:53 PM
I dont do all that much but: deficit pulls sumo and ultra wides help my hips, deficit SLDL help my lowerback etc.

I kinda use weights in a long ROM to stay flexible and it seems to work fairly well.

Brian Hopper
02-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Joe DeFranco has some good videos on youtube for it. There's one for lower body and one for upper body.

I'd check out his videos. Joe knows his stuff.

Dan Fanelli
02-28-2011, 07:01 PM
I dont do all that much but: deficit pulls sumo and ultra wides help my hips, deficit SLDL help my lowerback etc.

I kinda use weights in a long ROM to stay flexible and it seems to work fairly well.

Im with Nick on this one. I never really found any mobility/flexibilty increases from any methods other than full ROM weighted movements. I do use some static stretching or foam rolling though when I have some tight muscles.

Ermantroudt
02-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Yoga

ScottYard
03-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Foam, lacross balls and stretching. Nothing too fancy but a little goes a long way. Using a lacross ball on my upper back while laying down has really helped my shoulder mobility lately.

BloodandThunder
03-01-2011, 11:33 AM
When I'm not running experiments I'm stuck at a computer all day. Sitting in desk chairs is horrible for the hips and glutes. I like static stretching before bed while watching some TV and dynamic stuff before workouts. Full ROM BW stuff is good too. For upper body, due to all the pressing we do, I think PLers need alot of retraction work, like band face pulls, shoulder rectractions, band pull aparts etc. Like Scott said, Lax ball, foam roller, pvc etc. too goes a long way to working out those knots. Dead hangs are good to decompress the back after workouts. Also if you sit all day, look at how you're positioned when you sleep. Finding a better position goes along way to getting better sleep and not waking up and moving like crap.

Think Wendler said it, where there are some days he could do a few leg swings and go squat and some days it takes half an hour of moving around to get loose. Thats about right.

Big_Byrd52
03-01-2011, 01:27 PM
If you have seen my recent threads about my deadlift form and the videos I posted, I think it's clear I have a flexibility/mobility problem.

Adam has been a great help to me and recommended glutes bridges among other movements, so I thought I'd add to my flexibility/mobility warm-up/program with your guys added suggestions.

I did a search for both "flexibility" and "mobility" and didn't find any threads which would already answer my questions, but if any of you guys know of any, please direct me to them.

So, what do you guys do for flexibility/mobility work?

I have the same issue. I have been reading a lot of articles by Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson over at t mag dot com. They are great and helped me out a lot a few years ago when i had some excruciating back pain.