PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting and Grappling

MarioTCS
03-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Hello, I am 16 years old and I grapple 6 times a week and i recently started Powerlifting.
Can someone give me some tips on how to combine it together.

I am 168 pounds.

Monday: 1,5h Bjj then i do dead lifts 5x5 220 with lbs and increas by ten pounds every week. I do 5x5 Weighted pull ups and the after I spar for 30 min.
Tuesday: 1,5h wrestling
Wednesday: 1.5h Bjj Bench 5x5 now i am on 120 lbs and i do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezHlByHZwXA and anothe 30 min sparring
Thursday: 1,5 h Wrestling
Friday:1,5 h Bjj 5x5 Zercher Squat 5x5 Weighted pull ups
Saturday: Sparring 2h and the grappling circuit.

Can you give me some tips on how to improve my program. I want to gain weight but no fat and I want to stay explosive so i thought about some Snatches.
I am a noob to powerlifting so i need all kind off tips.

StLRPh
03-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Check out Wendler's 5/3/1, solid programming that can be adjusted to meet your goals relatively easily.

NickAus
03-01-2011, 02:11 PM
You are going to need to eat a ton!

Even if you do you will find it hard to put on weight while doing all that in a week, I would not be overly concerned with putting on weight if you want to grapple.

Just limit the weights to the very basics and eat a lot.

Lots of guys want to get bigger and stronger and become good at MMA and look better and become famous and get all the girls in 1 or 2 years.........just focus on one main goal.

Good luck.

blackdove
03-01-2011, 05:26 PM
It pays to have a strong grip if you're a grappler. One way to accomplish that is through thick bar training. But thick bars are hard to find in gyms. There are commercial fat grips out there. They are a bit pricey though, for me at least. If you're looking for alternative fat grips, here's an easy way to make homemade thick bar handles for strong grip (http://www.blackdovenest.com/2011/02/homemade-thick-bar-handles-for-barbell.html) training.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Yg_7MmnAVNc/TVdRTmBy7XI/AAAAAAAAFo4/vwza4auQ924/s1600/thick-bar-handle.jpg

hulk242
03-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Being a grappler, you shouldn't need a lot volume or ass work. Get in and get out. Good luck.

joey54
03-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Grappling 6 times per week, consider maybe a 5/3/1 type set up two days per week. Squat/Bench/Chins one day, Deads/OH Press/Abs the other and just hit the required reps. Should provide some good strength for the long haul and won't negatively affect the grappling, which you already know is much more about technique than strength. Some strength obviously doesn't hurt, but a lot of that is built up just by grappling against others.

Hazerboy
03-03-2011, 01:29 PM
How tall are you? Your height should decide your weight.

What others have said is good advice. Focus on the BASICs in weight training and keep your weight training sessions SHORT (no more than an hour after warm up). Focus on continued imporvement in the squat, bench, and more importantly the deadlift and pullups/rows.

Don't neglect the grip.

5/3/1 is a good place to start but any sensibly designed program that allows for progressive, linear improvement is a good idea. Keep it simple until your numbers are good, then think of something more complicated.

Stretch in the off days.

Also -- don't worry about cutting weight, even if your coaches are encouraging it. Unless your training for nationals or state or something BIG, you're not at the experience level to worry about losing weight. You should be worrying about your technique and grappling and your numbers in the weight room. If anything you should be gaining weight--I wrestled at 125, 135, 152, 160 and by my senior year 172, all at a height of 5'10. I performed best my senior year, and probably would have dominated even more if I grappled at my current weight of 206. Remember - your height should determine your weight. Most wrestlers, IMO, are too small for their height.

Drink lots of water. At your level of activity its easy to get dehydrated--I would routinly lose 5 lbs in one wrestling session. Get as much sleep as you can. (what i'm saying is, don't neglect the recovery aspects of training or you'll get burned real fast).

Hobo Beard
03-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Hello, I am 16 years old and I grapple 6 times a week and i recently started Powerlifting.
Can someone give me some tips on how to combine it together.

I am 168 pounds.

Monday: 1,5h Bjj then i do dead lifts 5x5 220 with lbs and increas by ten pounds every week. I do 5x5 Weighted pull ups and the after I spar for 30 min.
Tuesday: 1,5h wrestling
Wednesday: 1.5h Bjj Bench 5x5 now i am on 120 lbs and i do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezHlByHZwXA and anothe 30 min sparring
Thursday: 1,5 h Wrestling
Friday:1,5 h Bjj 5x5 Zercher Squat 5x5 Weighted pull ups
Saturday: Sparring 2h and the grappling circuit.

Can you give me some tips on how to improve my program. I want to gain weight but no fat and I want to stay explosive so i thought about some Snatches.
I am a noob to powerlifting so i need all kind off tips.

It's great you are incorporating powerlifting into your training regimen for grappling.

I'll always remember when Dean Lister told me how great powerlifting is for jiu-jitsu.

I think you've gotten great advice: focus on the basics, eat a LOT and make sure you are recovering.

MarioTCS
03-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the advices. I am 6'0. I want to gain weight because i donīt want to loose weight. It is my last year as a junior in Bjj and the weight classes are different in adult. I just want to gain 6 lbs and after that get stronger. Last year i took the silver medal at the Swedish national championship Under 18 years and this year i am going for the gold and that will be the only time when i am going to lose weight before a competition. I already gained 3 pounds for 3 weeks of powerlifting. My training program is http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/12/18/pavel-8020-powerlifting-and-how-to-add-110-pounds-to-your-lifts/. Simple and good with a few more exercises. And i think that he handles will help me so i will make a pair of those.