PDA

View Full Version : SS bar question

Rugby Dad
03-05-2011, 01:07 PM
when using the Safety Squat bar, the bar is resting in the rack, you know how the prongs stick out either towards you, or you can turn the bar around and the prongs stick out away from you.

which way is the correct way for back squat?
and is the other way wrong, useless, defeats the purpose, or just hitting things at slightly different angle?

Sean S
03-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Assuming you are facing the back of the bar in the rack, the prongs should stick out toward the other side of the bar (away from you).

Brian Hopper
03-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Do you mean the handles that you grab?

Rugby Dad
03-05-2011, 07:12 PM
yeah I mean the handles that you grab.

after viewing a few vids on Ytube, i see that it's pretty unanimous that the prongs point away from you.

still I was wondering what anyone thougt about using the bar the other way? when I tried it, the prongs are pointing towards me, so when I get in under the bar I roll the prongs out pointing in front away from me. So the way the bar is configured, in this position on my back the bar wants to tilt back the way it was before which means that it's leaning strongly into back of my neck and kinda pushing me forward, i gotta fight against this as i squat.

This is what I originally thought doing squats with SS bar was supposed to feel like?

Sean S
03-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Using the bar the "regular" way will generally dump you forward anyway, so trying it the other way is generally overkill I've found. Using it the way you describe feels like it is going to rip my head off and injure my neck, while the normal way pulls me forward but is more reasonable.