PDA

View Full Version : Circa max on DE days?

C...unit
03-06-2011, 07:53 PM
OK pretty soon im going to try running some circa max training cycles for my squat. I am thinking abt running it on dynamic days and still doing max effort days I would do that for 3 wks then do a complete deload the fourth wlk.

What I am wondering is what would be the smartest way to approach this without smoking my cns? Maybe do one month circa max and the next true dynamic days? Who has played around with this and what worked best for you? My sq hasnt really done much in a while I need to shock it up a bit.

Looking forward to hearing some different oppinions on the subject.

NickAus
03-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Hey, what is your squat?

Mostly they say circa max is for 3.5 times BW squatters (805@230 for example) although some guys lifting a bit less seem to do it.

Hope some guys who know more jump in.

C...unit
03-07-2011, 08:33 PM
I didnt know that, its definatly not 3.5 times BW tho. RAW 550 - 600 in that range. Full gear maybe 750 @ 275 BW

NickAus
03-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Yep full gear 3.5 times is what they say but I have have seen in the logs of some people lifting less doing circa max.

Sorry I cant be of any more help.

douglasoh5
03-08-2011, 06:11 AM
You should def do the circa max phase in on your DE lower day. Then on ME Lower it should be all high rep asst. stuff. If you try and do the circa max phase and do normal me work the same week you will blow your wadd bigger than ****.

If your a 750 squater at 275 you could do a circa max phase in there and it help. You really cant base your numbers with the bands and weight into a meet max as well as a stronger lifted would.

BloodandThunder
03-08-2011, 07:15 AM
^^^^^^ definitely use a DE Day for Circa Max.

Also read Louie's Squat article fro PLUSA this month and his articles on Circa Max squatting like this one (http://westside-barbell.com/westside-articles/PDF.Files/04PDF/Delayed%20Transformation.pdf)

You'll probably need a nice deload after this cycle, especially if you're using 50% band tension. The length of the deload will depend on how much workload you are doing during the Circa Max and your level of GPP.

mikesbench
03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm doing exactly what douglasoh outlined, seems to be going well. I'll know for sure at my meet March 19 - 20th.

I've throw in a circa max type load occasionally before, but my understanding is that it is a meet peaking cycle. I don't see the harm in trying it out, but I'd definitely avoid keeping your normal ME day. Are you currently lifting equipped, this would be a crazy cycle raw in my opinion.

The band tesion at the top is nuts. To give you an idea, my best meet squat is 766. My circa max cycle went like this...

Week 1 - Briefs and Belt
375 + Blue and Green Bands x 4 x 2, then 1 set of 415 + BG x 2

Week 2 - added suit bottoms
325+ BG x 2, 375 + BG x 2, 415 + BG x 2, 455 + BG x 2, 485 + BG 2, 510 + BG x 2, 535 + BG x 2

The bands should be aproximately 350 at the top (this obviously can vary by height, age of bands, etc), but this would be 885 at the top for me (I kinda doubt my tension was all of 350 after I calculated this out). I had only intended to go to 485 + bands, but felt good and chased it up a bit higher. Obviously this cycle is basically max effort work, so you can see why the need for dropping ME lifts on your usual ME day.

C...unit
03-08-2011, 06:09 PM
I will definatly read Louis article. I have read a few things soo far. My main interest in this is I know a cpl elite level geared lifters who swear by this type of training and both are over 900 lb squatters. I train with a team and we dont do circa max I am only one of a few guys who uses gear soo I suppose thats why we have never done it.

My nexy meet after the one I got in a cpl wks is in OCT where I am focusing on driving up my geared lifts.