PDA

View Full Version : too much fat?

creatiive
03-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi,

My diet is seeing me put on about a pound a week at the moment, which is fine right now. But I feel as if I'm putting on a bit of fat around my waist, and I want to make sure im not just putting on fat instead of muscle! Is this sample diet too high in carbs/fat do you think?? Any tips on replacing something ?

Breakfast: Porridge with honey + 1 banana
Lunch: Baked potato (large) with chicken, salad, kidney beans, Fruit juice.
Afternoon: Protein Ball snack, cup of low fat yoghurt with museli + nuts
TRAIN
Progain protein shake (450 cal, 32g protein)
Dinner: 1 can of tuna, 250g wholegrain rice
Supper: 2 crumpets with butter

Any guidance would be great! Thanks. (ps: i sometimes sneak in a small pag of peanuts!)

Captain Awesome
03-07-2011, 12:29 PM
What are you trying to accomplish? Gain weight, or lose weight? Are you making the assumption that dietary fat = body fat increases?

You don't have enough information here. So let me put it like this:
If you're bulking, you're not eating enough. If you're losing weight, you're not eating enough or right.

From what I see here, you could use a diet overhaul.

creatiive
03-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the info. Im trying to bulk. So are you saying I am eating the right kind of things, just not enough of them? I probably am making the assumption that eating fat = body fat increase.

Captain Awesome
03-07-2011, 02:38 PM
You need to figure out how many grams of protein you're getting, and how many calories you're taking in. These are based on your body weight and activity level. Figure out how many calories you need to maintain your current body weight and we can go from there.

As for your food choices, I'm not saying they're bad, but I think there are better choices that could be made. For example, you oats and banana are not a great start for the day necessarily. Both are low in protein, but there's nothing wrong with carbs in the AM. Hopefully you understand what I'm getting at.

Dan Fanelli
03-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Its hard to tell without portions and numbers, but it does look like you are getting too much carbohydrates. Also, we dont know how much you currently weight, your body fat %, strength, training plan, etc.

Another method is to aim for 200-300g of protein per day, and then eat whatever else you need to increase weight gradually. If you do that and are getting stronger, you'll be fine.

Behemoth
03-07-2011, 08:30 PM
I would add more quality sources of protein to your diet.

You don't have serving sizes listed but if those were "average" portions you're really not eating very much food. I'm not at all convinced this is even a consistent diet that you're eating. With the lackadaisical manner that this diet is put together I have no reason to believe you eat exactly this everyday and in the exact same portion. And likely your lack of success in the quality gaining is due to simply haphazardness eating and not tracking your macros/cals daily (or at least even having an idea of where they're at each and every day)

creatiive
03-09-2011, 03:43 AM
I eat exactly this every day. I have now changed the porridge in the morning for a brown bread roll with a pack of ham. I have also added another one of these in the afternoon with the protein ball.

I get the yoghurt / museli / nut pots from my local sandwich shop but find it hard to work out the nutrition content exactly. I agree though I will work this out to exact carb/ protein/ fat levels and try for 50/30/20 which ive seen is a good target. I dont think im far off as im gaining 1lb a week consistently.

Can i just ask... is it ok to have a protein shake every day for months? Is there a limit to how long you should take them? Or no?

tom183
03-09-2011, 04:57 AM
^--It's fine. There's no limit.

ozmarc
03-09-2011, 05:01 AM
I've been having protein shakes everyday for years. Now I don't condone it as your sole source of protein, but as long as it helps you fill your macros thatís all that matters. I generally like to varying both my protein, carb and fat sources through the day, if it helps here my example of what I eat on a slow, controlled bulk

6am: 1 cup oats + milk + egg white (5-6) + yolk (1-2) + blueberries/banana
7:15am: train
8:30am: 40-50g Whey + 70-100g Maltodextrin/dextrose
10am: 1 cup of rice + 4-5oz beef/salmon + veg + 1tbs flaxseed oil
1pm: 1 cup of rice + 4-5oz chicken + veg + 1tbs flaxseed oil
4pm: 1 Scoop Whey + 3/4 - 1 cup oats + 1tbs flaxseed oil or peanut butter
7pm: 7-8oz Sweet Potato + 4-5 oz chicken/fish + 1 tbs flaxseed/olive oil
10pm: Cottage cheese + flaxseed oil or 1 Scoop Whey + Milk + Peanut butter
1030pm: Bed..... Next day repeat!

Consistency and making sure you hit your macro's on a daily basis are key.

creatiive
03-09-2011, 06:03 AM
what is the benefit of flaxseed oil? Is it just to make sure you get all the fatty acids and whatnot? Is there any direct beenfit to building muscle?

Thank you for all the info and diet plans by the way!!

Captain Awesome
03-09-2011, 07:42 AM
what is the benefit of flaxseed oil? Is it just to make sure you get all the fatty acids and whatnot? Is there any direct beenfit to building muscle?

http://www.supplementquality.com/efficacy/fishoil_flaxoil.html

I don't know that there is any significant benefits in terms of building muscle, but overall n-3 will help with recovery. I'm sure that the thinning of the blood and "lubricating" of the joints would be to thank for that. Honestly, its not a topic I looked into much beyond general health benefits.

ozmarc
03-09-2011, 12:28 PM
That and its got a really nice flavour that goes well on vegetables, blended in shakes etc.

Collie
03-15-2011, 01:10 AM
I think that by eating normal and on knowing the calories ration you should solve your diet and fat problems.... And there is no issue of any kind of the health related and fitness also.....