PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

amathew
03-07-2011, 11:28 AM
I've been playing with weights for about two years. I've worked my way through a lot of routines, though I often get bored and just move to another routine. I recently finished a year of 5/3/1, and am considering taking a step back to do something like bill starr's 5x5. I have a problem with being consistent in my training.

Does anyone have suggestions for a newbie who's just been running around in circles with little progress?

I'm considering dropping some weight, so I don't know how that will complicate what routine I should follow?

My numbers have increased over the past two years, it's just that I don't stick with a routine.

So, in terms of nutrition and training, what should I do to get on track?
should I just go back and start with 'starting strength'?

I realize that some of these questions are ridiculous, as I really just need to stay on the path
and be consistent.

SplitQuick
03-07-2011, 12:04 PM
First I'd have to ask what your current one rep maxes are? And what were they when you started training?

Also, what's your height/weight/age?

AdamBAG
03-07-2011, 12:22 PM
What is your goal?

Are you trying to be a competitive powerlifter?

amathew
03-07-2011, 01:03 PM
age - 25
height - 5"4
weight - 190 (a little high)

starting 1RM's -
squat - 185
bench - 95
deadlift - 190

current 1RM's - (for the last five months, these numbers haven't increased)
squat - 290
bench - 160 (i suck at bench)
deadlift - 335

When I started lifting, I wanted to compete in powerlifting. But I'm not sure anymore.
If anything, I just want to be healthy, have some muscle mass, and be lean.
However, I may compete one day..just to try it out.

AdamBAG
03-07-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure the powerlifting forum is the place to be if you don't want to compete. I will say though, you need to stick with a training program. As you said, you haven't been consistent. That's likely the biggest issue you have.

SplitQuick
03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm seeing some conflicting things in here...

You said you have a problem with consistency which is a big problem with lifting... but you also said you just finished a year of 5/3/1? A year on the same routine is pretty consistent...

Were you following the program strictly ? Or are you saying you would blow off workouts or blow off the routine some days and do whatever you felt like?

If that's the case the biggest thing is DON'T BLOW OFF WORKOUTS! The best motivation is getting a workout partner that is just as serious as you are. You guys will keep each other in check and make sure you're at the workouts. If you can't find someone to lift with just always go same days, same times. It'll become a routine just like going to work at 8AM.

theBarzeen
03-07-2011, 08:08 PM
so you haven't been training consistently, probably not eating consistently, not sure what our goals are, and you don't know why your gains have stopped?

Really?