PDA

View Full Version : Arnold Amateur World HW Strongman Championships (Write-Up)

Tom Mutaffis
03-09-2011, 01:18 AM
Arnold Amateur World Championship Write-Up:
Going into this contest I was not very confident that I would be ready but did not want to pass up the opportunity to compete at this level. On Thursday morning I drove up to Columbus from North Carolina and the trip took about 7 hours, made it there in time to relax in the room a bit before the rules meeting. At the rules meeting it was apparent just how tough this contest would be - all of the international athletes were massive and some even had cool jumpsuits.

950 lbs Yoke Race:
I have never done a 950 yoke, so getting this one anywhere would be a PR. I set the yoke a little low figuring that the weight would compress me, but that turned out to be a mistake. Made it 51'8" with the yoke for a big PR! But unfortunately this was only good for a couple of points.

325 lbs Axle Clean & Press:
My overhead strength has been coming back but I struggled with the cleans in training. These axles felt pretty good in warm-up's and I was hoping to make up some points here. Clean and pressed the first rep with relative ease, and on the second rep I missed the press on the first attempt then re-racked the bar and managed to get a bit more leg drive to power the bar to lockout. I took about a 15 second breather and went back for another rep but once I cleaned the bar to my shoulders I was not able to get the press. Finished with two reps which again was only good for a few points.

800 lbs Frame / Drag:
For this event the rule was that if you did not make it 60' with the frame you would receive zero points. I knew that this would be a long shot for me so I decided to see how it felt on the pick and then just shut it down to conserve energy if it didn't go well. Unfortunately I had to take the zero on this event but 29 of the other competitors also took a zero.

Car Deadlift:
I knew that I could make up some points here and was looking forward to this event. As we were waiting to lift it was announced that Arnold was coming over to watch! This really added a lot of energy an excitement to the crowd. At this time the current leader was Kenneth Nowicki with 14 reps, we had four competitors going at once and Jay Hughes and I were both keeping a good pace. I managed about 10 reps in 30 seconds and then took a short breather. The referee Brad Dunn told me that I need to keep pulling and I dug deep for another 5 reps in the remaining 20 seconds - this tied me with Jay Hughes for the lead at the time with 15 reps and Arnold told his camera man that he was impressed with our lifting. Ended up finishing tied for 4th in this event.

The car deadlift helped me to gain some points and I finished in about 33rd overall out of 50 competitors. It was great to meet and compete with all of the international guys and to see a lot of familiar faces from the U.S. I am looking forward to getting back to training and am going to do my best to qualify for this event again in 2012.

Photos:

The Competitors:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j198/tmutaffis/IMG_2181-1.jpg

Yoke:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j198/tmutaffis/950Yoke.jpg

Arnold Watching the Car Deadlift:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j198/tmutaffis/ArnoldWatching.jpg

Kiff
03-09-2011, 04:02 AM
Well done Tom amazing Pr! Great to be watched by the man himself!

You proved you can mix it with the big boys!

Off Road
03-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Nice work Tom.

Tom Mutaffis
03-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Here is a short video clip from when Arnold came over to watch the car deadlift event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pavxGusA9A

BoAnderson71
03-11-2011, 01:08 PM
nice work tom. Are you considering ever moving up to the heavyweight division 265 pounds plus?

AdamBAG
03-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Great work Tom! Those looked like really tough events. That yoke is damn heavy!

mikesbench
03-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Nice work Tom, those sound like some really tough events.

torch1980
03-11-2011, 03:39 PM
good work tom

Brian Hopper
03-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Good job Tom!!!