PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad to always pull Sumo?

Clone
03-09-2011, 04:49 PM
I've been pulling Sumo for about 4-5 years now. I started out with Conventional and then tried Sumo and never looked back.

Sumo feels very natural to me. I like the shorter ROM and it seems easier on my lower back than Conv pulls.

I'm 6' tall with long legs and arms.

I recently started toying around with Conv pulls and they are much weaker than my Sumo.

Anywho, is it unsafe to always pull Sumo? Am I creating an unbalance in any way?

Sean S
03-09-2011, 06:31 PM
It depends on what else you are doing in your overall program. My opinion is that most people could probably benefit from pulling in the style opposite than their usually on at least a somewhat regular basis. In general if one style is way stronger than the other it indicates something is probably weaker than it should be. If you don't plan on competing with a conventional stance then you don't "need" to pull that way, but you do probably need to address any potential areas that might be relatively weaker due to only pulling with one style.

ScottYard
03-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Do what suits you. No right or wrong in this game.

Clone
03-10-2011, 04:35 AM
It depends on what else you are doing in your overall program. My opinion is that most people could probably benefit from pulling in the style opposite than their usually on at least a somewhat regular basis. In general if one style is way stronger than the other it indicates something is probably weaker than it should be. If you don't plan on competing with a conventional stance then you don't "need" to pull that way, but you do probably need to address any potential areas that might be relatively weaker due to only pulling with one style.

Valid points.

Since I hardly ever pull Conv it feels foreign right now. Its hard to tell how close it is to my Sumo.

I should do a few Conv cycles to see where I'm really at.

Clone
03-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Do what suits you. No right or wrong in this game.

Thanks for your input.

shocker4221
03-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Do most top lifters pull sumo over conventional?

Bosshogg300
03-10-2011, 07:10 AM
I myself wonder this to if most pull dump over conventional

Bosshogg300
03-10-2011, 07:11 AM
Sumo *

Clone
03-10-2011, 05:14 PM
I guess I was waiting to hear a story like "My buddy only pulled Sumo for 8 years, and one day his legs popped off" :)

Lones Green
03-10-2011, 06:09 PM
I would pull both stances. Doing a lot of conventional work bring my weaknesses up and bring my sumo pull up (thats how I pull in meets)

NickAus
03-10-2011, 06:14 PM
I do 80% Sumo.

My Sumo pull has gone from 445 raw to 605 suited (not sure about raw max) in about 6 months.

Good idea to do both but if you pull Sumo you need to practice it.

hulk242
03-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Like has been said, try pulling conv as well. It might help. A lot of sumo pullers will use conv more then they do they comp style.

shocker4221
03-10-2011, 07:09 PM
I do 80% Sumo.

My Sumo pull has gone from 445 raw to 605 suited (not sure about raw max) in about 6 months.

Good idea to do both but if you pull Sumo you need to practice it.

Do most guys pull sumo because of being able to pull more or are their other advantages? I ask because I just started focusing on squat and deads lately and want to save my knees as much as possible because of past injuries.

NickAus
03-10-2011, 07:52 PM
I pull more sumo but some guys pull more conv, if one is better than the other you would use that one in comp of course.

The thing is if you dont train them both for a while you wont know which is better for you, I used to do a lot less with sumo then things clicked and it got better every week.

GorillaJ
03-10-2011, 07:54 PM
I pulled sumo for a few years, mainly because of the mental help that briefs supplied. However after I really started training to pull conv, my true potential came through. I am speaking from someone that is 6"4 also. Pulling conv I do not use any equipment other than a belt and it feels so much more natural. The carry over from that is also amazing. It seems every other thing I do is stronger now, from tire flips to overhead presses. I would encourage you to keep pulling conventional. With much respect.

shocker4221
03-10-2011, 08:13 PM
I pulled sumo for a few years, mainly because of the mental help that briefs supplied. However after I really started training to pull conv, my true potential came through. I am speaking from someone that is 6"4 also. Pulling conv I do not use any equipment other than a belt and it feels so much more natural. The carry over from that is also amazing. It seems every other thing I do is stronger now, from tire flips to overhead presses. I would encourage you to keep pulling conventional. With much respect.

I will continue pulling conventional but will add in sumo from time to time for change. I'm still new to the exercise so I have a lot to learn.

C...unit
03-10-2011, 09:04 PM
What is the main thing that deetermines if someone is going to be @ sumo? Almost everyone I train with pulls sumo and they do well with it. I pull conv. and my sumo is a good 60+ lbs lower. I have longer legs and Im taller soo I always figured my leverages were more geared for conv pulling but I see alot of taller thinner lifters doing well with it. Is it mainly hip strength?