PDA

View Full Version : $$$ food shopping $$$

Auzzie
03-10-2011, 10:13 PM
:omg::omg::omg: :omg::omg::omg: :omg::omg::omg:

I just did a shop for the wife and I. On a regular week might be $120ish which is high for some people already since we eat a lot of organic fruits/veggies etc ... I just dropped $210 buying what i figured I'd need for the calories and protein i'm aiming for now I'm lifting !!! What the hell do guys spend when they're eating 5-6000 calories a day?!

SO...... How much do you spend per week on food when your trying to put on lean muscle ? :confused:

tom183
03-10-2011, 10:50 PM
I've never really bothered to calculate it. I'd say maybe $15-$20 a day. I eat close enough to 5000 calories.

Codeguru
03-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Well good news for your money situation since the fruits are mostly carbs anyway. There's always stuff like those bags of frozen chicken breasts they sell for $6-7. I eat a lot of 100% whole grain bread and they just put out a "Great Value" brand (WalMart) version of it that costs about $1.70 a loaf. And it's not the best thing for lowering carbs but those "Mult-O-Meal" bags of cereal have that Frosted Mini Wheats knockoff in the orange bag, has a buttload of whole grain and fiber. As for protein, there's no avoiding the costs there I'd wager. Meat is like gold these days if it ever wasn't and protein shakes cost a bit. I still think the frozen chicken is a good cost effective way to go. Just slather on some Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce. Also if you're looking for vegetables, they sell huge bags of yellow onions for about $5 at Sam's Club. Buying in bulk is a good thing to get used to anyway for saving money, and eating a lot...

Codeguru

PS- If you like condiments, and peanut butter, Sam's Club is the way to go. But for two examples. You can get a gallon jug of Frank's Original Hot Sauce for about $9, that's more than 5 large bottles worth of it which usually cost around $4-5 each in regular stores. And as for JIF peanutbutter, they sell the double pack of the large containers for around $5.50, and that right there is knocking off about 4 bucks even if you bought 2 of them seperately at WalMart.

lenny spero
03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
if you pepare all your meals for 2-3 weeks @ a time you SAVE tons of money..
chicken is 199 a lb and i basically eat 6 oz of chicken 5x a day...the protien comes out to about 3 dollars a day..i eat alot of ezekial bread..about 3 dollars a loaf..brown rice very cheep..if you eat all your meals out you sepens tons of money on food get poor quality food that you cant really tell how much protien,carbs and fats your eating..even when i go to a clean bulk i will cook all my meals..i probaby save 100dollars + a week

defcon
03-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I think the protein is probably the most expensive right? Depending on where you live, the boneless/skinless chicken can be quite expensive, so watch for sales on that and stock up when you can! It stays good in the freezer for a while. Another option is to use some tuna every now and then as a lean source of protein... pretty sure nothing is cheaper than tuna! :p There are probably some threads here suggesting ways to prepare it to make it tasty as well!