PDA

View Full Version : First Bench video, lots to work on!

Auzzie
03-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Took my first vid today of my new max of a whopping 175x6, haha.
I see a crapload to improve myself but if anyone can break it down into what to focus on first or what kind of mental thought i should be focused on to fix the problem I'd be appreciative.

il_g7RmS29E

Auzzie
03-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Don't wanna post the pics in 2 separate places so my starting out pics are in my log, HERE (http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?141952-313-days).

Mad Max
03-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Form looks good actually. Maybe you could get a bit more of an arch, but really your main focus for now should be on gaining size and strength, don't worry about fine tuning your form.

dynamo
03-11-2011, 12:44 PM
wrong. form always comes first. always. never is it not first priority unless you happen to be in a life threatening situation and you dont have time to think about form. you worry about form always, you get it down when youre a newb so you dont have to think about it when you're recovering from a torn shoulder muscle or glute from ****ty form you used for years before.

Auzzie
03-11-2011, 12:56 PM
wrong. form always comes first. always. never is it not first priority unless you happen to be in a life threatening situation and you dont have time to think about form. you worry about form always, you get it down when youre a newb so you dont have to think about it when you're recovering from a torn shoulder muscle or glute from ****ty form you used for years before.

This was my thinking... wanna back it up with some pointers?!!! haha

Cards
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0

Auzzie
03-11-2011, 07:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0

seen it, thanks...

Sean S
03-12-2011, 12:48 PM
If you've seen the Dave Tate videos before, there are some things he mentions you could still work on. Here's what I see after watching your video a couple of times.
1) Not tight enough overall. I've seen much worse, but I still see too much squirming during the course of the set. You need to be rock solid to the point that it's uncomfortable.
2) It looks like your shoulder blades are rolling forward at the end of each rep. You look like you try and squeeze them together at the start of the set, but they appear to get "loose" during the set based on the way your bench stroke looks.
3) Elbows flair a little early on the way up. Especially as you get fatigued in the later reps you start up and almost immediately the bar drifts back and your elbows flair. You will always have a little elbow flair at the top, but you are doing it too early.
4) No arch at all. You don't need to have a crazy huge arch, but a modest arch will help you stay tight, keep your shoulder blades back, and likely keep your shoulders healthier. Set your feet and wedge yourself down into a modest arch and hold that position during the set.

Auzzie
03-12-2011, 01:56 PM
If you've seen the Dave Tate videos before, there are some things he mentions you could still work on. Here's what I see after watching your video a couple of times.
1) Not tight enough overall. I've seen much worse, but I still see too much squirming during the course of the set. You need to be rock solid to the point that it's uncomfortable.
2) It looks like your shoulder blades are rolling forward at the end of each rep. You look like you try and squeeze them together at the start of the set, but they appear to get "loose" during the set based on the way your bench stroke looks.
3) Elbows flair a little early on the way up. Especially as you get fatigued in the later reps you start up and almost immediately the bar drifts back and your elbows flair. You will always have a little elbow flair at the top, but you are doing it too early.
4) No arch at all. You don't need to have a crazy huge arch, but a modest arch will help you stay tight, keep your shoulder blades back, and likely keep your shoulders healthier. Set your feet and wedge yourself down into a modest arch and hold that position during the set.

Cheers for the breakdown, when benching, i feel the right arm trying to do more of the work and that steals my focus away from other areas. I thought i had a massive arch.,... until i saw the video!