PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys send you gear for adjustments?

C...unit
03-12-2011, 05:49 PM
I have a pair of titan breifs that are loose, a metal pro bash bencher that is a size too big atleast, and a brand new metal ace that pretty much fits perfect just needs the sleeves shortened and tightened up alittle bit.

Just wondering where is everyone getting there stuff done? Local tailor? Send it somewhere?

jtteg_x
03-12-2011, 07:05 PM
just about everyone here refers to Ken Anderson for Titan gear alterations. I believe his website is www.andersonpowerlifting.com I personally never done any alterations with any of my gear but he's first on the list.

vdizenzo
03-12-2011, 08:43 PM
I just recently used an upholstery shop I found in the yellow pages. I knew it was perfect when I walked in and saw a leathery looking old Italian dude. He's been stitching things up longer than I have been alive. He did it right there while I was waiting. It sure beats mailing it out, waiting for it, and then hoping it's right.

Brian Hopper
03-12-2011, 09:36 PM
I've always used Ginny Phillips, she is really good and she also makes her own gear.

http://www.ginnyspowergear.com/

theBarzeen
03-12-2011, 10:06 PM
I do everything myself.

I got an old Singer 31-15 industrial machine for under $200 and figured it out myself. Now I can dial in anything me or my team needs in 10 minutes and not need to worry if it's done right.

If you decide to take it somewhere make sure they use the same thread the manufacturer used. Some new Titan stuff is really heavy duty, but most manufacturers use nylon bonded #69 thread.... you can get it anywhere online for $10 a spool.... but it won't blow out as easy as a cotton or other poly thread. Most industrial machines can run it, so bring a spool with you and ask a tailor to do it for you if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. Unfortunately it will birdsnest and snarl in a regular machine, you do need a heavy duty machine for it...... so don't go messing up your moms sewing machine.

ScottYard
03-13-2011, 09:20 AM
All my work by ginny held up great

C...unit
03-13-2011, 05:15 PM
I shot ginni an email just waiting to hear back. See if she shoots me a reasonable price for everything.

thewookie
03-14-2011, 07:39 AM
For any major re-builds, our guys send to Ginny. For small things (taking in sleeves/sides of briefs, etc) we have a local tailor that specializes in gear for the BDSM market. They do a damn good job and are dirt cheap

j robinson
03-15-2011, 11:02 AM
I have had great results from a guy who does car upholstery. He has an industrial sewing machine and is accustomed to sewing heavy material with nylon thread.

Brian Hopper
03-15-2011, 11:06 AM
I have had great results from a guy who does car upholstery. He has an industrial sewing machine and is accustomed to sewing heavy material with nylon thread.

That's not a bad idea.

Brian Hopper
03-15-2011, 11:06 AM
I shot ginni an email just waiting to hear back. See if she shoots me a reasonable price for everything.

Did you ever hear back from her?

SELK
03-15-2011, 04:46 PM
For any major re-builds, our guys send to Ginny. For small things (taking in sleeves/sides of briefs, etc) we have a local tailor that specializes in gear for the BDSM market. They do a damn good job and are dirt cheap

At least they won't think your that weird when you explain what a bench shirt does :D

C...unit
03-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Did you ever hear back from her?

Yeah, just did today she said she would do the shirt for 70 and give me a deal on the breifs if I sent them @ the same time for 20.

Brian Hopper
03-15-2011, 07:23 PM
That isnt bad, that price should also include return shipping right?

C...unit
03-15-2011, 08:08 PM
That isnt bad, that price should also include return shipping right?

Ummm, I think soo I havnt asked yet. Ill prob do it either way im not getting much out of the shirt the way it is soo it will be worth it to get it dialed in. Anyone ever use a metal pro bash bencher 2 ply? Just wondering what the shirt can do fitted right, or if id be better off keeping it as a spare if I get fatter lol and just using the ace like it is for now?

thewookie
03-16-2011, 10:36 AM
At least they won't think your that weird when you explain what a bench shirt does :D

Haha, nah they still do. Its just more of a "You put on all sorts of tight, thick clothing that cuts your skin, put yourself under weights that can crush you, and you DON'T do it to get off? Freak..." type reaction :P

skiboy
03-16-2011, 01:30 PM
I took my stuff and my team members stuff to my cleaners, a little Asian lady, does a great job. I show her what needs to be done and how much to take in and in 5 days she has it done and usually only $20, $40 for major adjustments like blown out chest plates in shirts and such.
If anything rips out she will repair it for free. I had one thing that need to be redone so far out of about 50 things done on different gear.

theBarzeen
03-16-2011, 03:01 PM
"You put on all sorts of tight, thick clothing that cuts your skin, put yourself under weights that can crush you, and you DON'T do it to get off? :P

wait.... you DON'T?

thewookie
03-17-2011, 10:32 AM
wait.... you DON'T?

My coach said the same thing once... i immediately went out and bought my own squat suit... no more using his hand-me-downs after that :P

EDIT:

My coach saw this post yesterday. When I got to the gym, he just looked at me and said "Just wait till you see what I did to the bench shirt" ... I'm scared now :P